Region III, Division 3

RichlandsAlum

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, I am just glad that playoff football is almost here and it all will be settled on the field, the regular season has seemed a foregone conclusion for a while now anyhows.

This statement bothers me. For whoever gets there. One must expect the other side of the State is just as good as ours. Its proven itself many times. Thing is the way we are divided we get very little info or crossups to compare on what's going on over there.

Have you got any good sports news sources for the other side of the State, feels more like it is another State. Would be good to look inside all 4 divisons at once.

Thundercloud, Maybe I should edit that post to say I HOPE that the west side rep wins the state championship.

I feel confident that Brookville, Northside or Richlands will be there for the west.

The east will most likely bring Lafayette, York, Kettle Run or James Monroe. Lafayette worries me the most but I still feel that the trophy comes west this year......Atleast I Hope it does.

Thundercloud, Maybe I should edit that post to say I HOPE that the west side rep wins the state championship.

I feel confident that Brookville, Northside or Richlands will be there for the west.

The east will most likely bring Lafayette, York, Kettle Run or James Monroe. Lafayette worries me the most but I still feel that the trophy comes west this year......Atleast I Hope it does.

I hope it is brought back to our side of the state also, but to many bad memories to not know it something one better bring there heart and be prepare to fight for it every second of every minute of that game and even then hope the ball balances their way.

Cave Spring vs. Blacksburg-6727

He was headed for an X-Ray on Friday night after returning to Roanoke.

Time will tell.

Tony Simmons stepped in played a wild knight QB. They moved the ball and scored, but he threw no passes.

Edited by tjwitten

If and when Richlands loses..... it'll be because they get outcoached again.

Nobody preps a team any better........ but if it comes down to play callin in a tight game, thats when it's time to worry. Course, thats just my opinion.

My two pesos....

Richlands will have to bring its 'A' game to make it out of Region IV. Martinsville has a legitimate shot at playing spoiler.

Make it past that one, and there's another huge challenge awaiting -- which is perfectly logical, given the level of play we're talking about here.

The Region III title game (which should pit Brookville against Northside) ought to be a humdinger. The winner of that one will definitely emerge battle-tested.

My two pesos....

Richlands will have to bring its 'A' game to make it out of Region IV. Martinsville has a legitimate shot at playing spoiler.

Make it past that one, and there's another huge challenge awaiting -- which is perfectly logical, given the level of play we're talking about here.

The Region III title game (which should pit Brookville against Northside) ought to be a humdinger. The winner of that one will definitely emerge battle-tested.

If all holds course and Mville finishes 3rd, wouldn't they play Cave in the regional semis?

My two pesos....

Trust me when I say that Martinsville is not a threat. 5 TD win easy.

I think your going to see the first two games as last year 1st Martinsville if we win that one it will be Cave Spring. Don't understand why everyone is causing such a fuss, its the playoffs, it supposed to be tuff. Richlands has proven themselves year after year that they can win in the playoffs but this year is this year. Do I think we have the chance to be back in Lynchburg come Dec., YES I do, is there a chance we will face good competition in the playoffs and get beat, YES. With this football team getting better each week, having the coaching staff we do, and possibly having all playoff games at home, I think we can play with anyone as long as we stay healthy, focused and play smart football. For anyone who thinks otherwise is a nut, the playoffs will be very tuff and we will have to play great football starting with the first one.

If all holds course and Mville finishes 3rd, wouldn't they play Cave in the regional semis?

Yes. Provided we beat Tunstall, Marion or Abingdon we will host the winner of Cave Spring/Martinsville (if we are the # 1 seed.) If we are the # 2 seed we will host Martinsville and then travel to the Spring.

I think your going to see the first two games as last year 1st Martinsville if we win that one it will be Cave Spring. Don't understand why everyone is causing such a fuss, its the playoffs, it supposed to be tuff. Richlands has proven themselves year after year that they can win in the playoffs but this year is this year. Do I think we have the chance to be back in Lynchburg come Dec., YES I do, is there a chance we will face good competition in the playoffs and get beat, YES. With this football team getting better each week, having the coaching staff we do, and possibly having all playoff games at home, I think we can play with anyone as long as we stay healthy, focused and play smart football. For anyone who thinks otherwise is a nut, the playoffs will be very tuff and we will have to play great football starting with the first one.

Agreed. As a current resident of Region III territory, I wanted to pass along a little insight. Then it occurred to me that I might be putting the cart a bit before the horse (even though I'll confess that I feel good about the odds that RHS will return to Lynchburg).

If and when Richlands loses..... it'll be because they get outcoached again.

Nobody preps a team any better........ but if it comes down to play callin in a tight game, thats when it's time to worry. Course, thats just my opinion.

What about the close games they've won in their runs ... did the team just find a way to win in spite of the coaching staff?

Wins are attributed to both and losses are attributed in the same way. To state otherwise, infers successful high school coaches (who put in countless hours of prep work with the coaching stipend they receive virtually negated by all the time deposited, plus the untolled personal family hours lost due to the dedication of their love for football and their team) should always win the close "big one" or the coaches are to blame. Really???

Does anyone know of a head college coach, making millions of dollars, calling the perfect game and every play for the optimum result?

College coaches ARE accountable because that is specifically their job... they are paid handsomely to win ALL of their games and sacrifice their personal time.

Any SWVA/WV HS coaching staff who has been in the "big one" and came out on the "short end", I feel certain in saying has anguished for weeks over the loss.

We should all be thankful (with the focus solely on winning drifting down to the high school level from fans)... for the successful HS coaches (who are teachers FIRST in the school system) still willing too cast aside the negativity and keep coming back each year because of their love for the game.

Edited by trublue

Yes. Provided we beat Tunstall, Marion or Abingdon we will host the winner of Cave Spring/Martinsville (if we are the # 1 seed.) If we are the # 2 seed we will host Martinsville and then travel to the Spring.

That's what I was thinking. Just checking up.

trublue, I don't in any way mean to put anyone down whatsoever.Just stated my opinion (like everyone else does on here). I drive 4+ hours to see probably half of the games Richlands play each year and every playoff game I can make. And I think there's a difference in winning 1 "BIG ONE" and winning every "BIG ONE" outta how many. I think Richlands was out coached in at least 2 of those state games. And I dought that I'm the only one.

trublue, I don't in any way mean to put anyone down whatsoever.Just stated my opinion (like everyone else does on here). I drive 4+ hours to see probably half of the games Richlands play each year and every playoff game I can make. And I think there's a difference in winning 1 "BIG ONE" and winning every "BIG ONE" outta how many. I think Richlands was out coached in at least 2 of those state games. And I dought that I'm the only one.

I would disagree. One we were outmaned with depth, school had 1200 students to our 750. Another one the ball just didn't balance our way, can't have 140 yards of penalites and expect to win. And then another, well if you were down here you would know more about the inside.

Our coaches are doing some pretty extreme things considering the numbers they have and what they compete againist up state.

I agree with you Nado.

We all have a right to our opinion on here, that's what this site is for. To discuss local & state high school football and give our opinions on such within reason.

My opinion is, that I will take my chances with Mance & his staff every time against any high school coach in any game, regular season or playoff game. He may not win them all, but he will give you the chance to win 99 times out of 100. Has he won every state championship game.........no, and has he made mistakes............sure, he would probably be the first to admit that, but i think he has proven what kind of coach he is over & over.

Richlands had made it to one state championship game before he took over, now it's just about every year and we have become spoiled as Richlands fans.

It's going to be tough to get back to Lynchburg this year and that's the way it's suppose to be, but the Blues have proven over the years that they are up to the task, and are always well prepared for it.

I just hope we are blessed enough to have him, and the rest of his staff for many years and championship games to come.

This is just my opinion though.

Everybody thought the same thing last year too.

This year's a bit different. One, Richlands's schedule is weaker than even last year, which is something I didn't even think would happen. Two, the teams in R1/R2 are MUCH improved over last year, even more than the teams in R3/R4 are "down". I have a good friend who coaches at James Monroe out of Fredericksburg, and that team's grooving unlike any D3 team I've ever seen.

Just a fair warning for the 2nd weekend in December...

And will be the sacrificial offering to whatever R1/R2 team makes it. Sorry, boys, not happening this year.

Edited by UVAObserver

This year's a bit different. One, Richlands's schedule is weaker than even last year, which is something I didn't even think would happen. Two, the teams in R1/R2 are MUCH improved over last year, even more than the teams in R3/R4 are "down". I have a good friend who coaches at James Monroe out of Fredericksburg, and that team's grooving unlike any D3 team I've ever seen.

Just a fair warning for the 2nd weekend in December...

And will be the sacrificial offering to whatever R1/R2 team makes it. Sorry, boys, not happening this year.

I'm not buying into James Monroe. Just look at who they have played.

This team has ducked competition by dropping the decent teams they played and lining up cream puff after cream puff.

I understand it has to happen in SW Va.......but not in Fredricksburg.

James Monroe also leads the nation in unsportsmanlike penalties, In fact the head coach has already been tossed from one game this year for multiple unsportsmanlike penalties. Last year James Monroe looked about the same as this year then got blown to hell by Poquoson 42-7 in the playoffs. I expect we will see the same when they meet York or Lafayette.

While I agree that the winner of the Region III – Region IV semi-final will have their hands full in the state championship game, I think it’s a little early to proclaim James Monroe as world beaters. True, they have been putting up a ton of points, but they’ve also only faced two teams with winning records. I don’t doubt that they are improved from last year, but their competition is also down from last year. Their opponents have a combined record of 19-45…….Kettle Run’s opponents have a combined record of 24 -39 and Lafayette’s opponents have a combined record of 21-41, leading me to wonder why you think Regions I and II are elevated over any other year.

I'm not buying into James Monroe. Just look at who they have played.

This team has ducked competition by dropping the decent teams they played and lining up cream puff after cream puff.

I understand it has to happen in SW Va.......but not in Fredricksburg.

James Monroe also leads the nation in unsportsmanlike penalties, In fact the head coach has already been tossed from one game this year for multiple unsportsmanlike penalties. Last year James Monroe looked about the same as this year then got blown to hell by Poquoson 42-7 in the playoffs. I expect we will see the same when they meet York or Lafayette.

They're significantly improved over last year's team. As anyone from Richlands can tell you, 9-1 and 10-0 teams aren't created equal. This is their best team, and very clearly so.

And give me a source that says that JM leads the nation in that category. I'd love to stick my foot in my mouth on that one.

While I agree that the winner of the Region III – Region IV semi-final will have their hands full in the state championship game, I think it’s a little early to proclaim James Monroe as world beaters. True, they have been putting up a ton of points, but they’ve also only faced two teams with winning records. I don’t doubt that they are improved from last year, but their competition is also down from last year. Their opponents have a combined record of 19-45…….Kettle Run’s opponents have a combined record of 24 -39 and Lafayette’s opponents have a combined record of 21-41, leading me to wonder why you think Regions I and II are elevated over any other year.

And what regions have won more state title games? Regions I and II. Sure, Richlands has one, but even that one was too close to stomach. Having been away from VA for a while, I feel as if I have a better pulse on different areas of the state than I used to. I'd love to eat crow, but barring a 5+ turnover game from the R1/R2 representative, I won't be. D3 football is VERY imbalanced this year.

And what regions have won more state title games? Regions I and II. Sure, Richlands has one, but even that one was too close to stomach. Having been away from VA for a while, I feel as if I have a better pulse on different areas of the state than I used to. I'd love to eat crow, but barring a 5+ turnover game from the R1/R2 representative, I won't be. D3 football is VERY imbalanced this year.

Richlands has 2. I really don't know how many others from IV have won it. Salem has about 6? All of them with region III I think.

The west has won 5 and the east has won 5 over the last 10 years. That includes Turner Ashby's win over Richlands in 2005. If Richlands had pulled out a win last year (in a very winnable game) this end of the state would have a 2 game win streak. While I don't doubt that defeating whatever team represents the east will be very tough, it's not out of the question.