Wahoo!

Unchained

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to echo UVAO about officiating. In the first five minutes tonight they called a phantom hold on FSU on a big pass play, missed a late hit and horse collar out of bounds, missed the spot on a sack by five yards.

The ACC needs to school these officials.

Is this game going to be nationally televised and have they released a game time?

3:30 and if it isn't on ABC, I'd be completely shocked. UVA might have a shot at being ranked going into the game. #22 and #23 (Southern Miss and FSU) lost so I wouldn't be shocked to see a 3-loss UVA team sneak into the poll, especially competing for a conference championship.

Yep, great work by UVA tonight. This is a team that if you let them hang around, they'll beat you. I'm personally terrified going into next week. We've had a ton of wins in a row now against them, and it looks like the tide is turning in the 'Hoos favor.

Guest The Variable
3:30 and if it isn't on ABC, I'd be completely shocked. UVA might have a shot at being ranked going into the game. #22 and #23 (Southern Miss and FSU) lost so I wouldn't be shocked to see a 3-loss UVA team sneak into the poll, especially competing for a conference championship.

I thought FSU was 25. That means ND will move up too as they were 24 going into this weekend.

I know if ABC doesnt air it that Comcast Sports Network will. Im getting the game either way.

3:30 on ABC regionally, ESPN2 nationwide. I expect UVA to be ranked ~24th.

My thoughts:

If you'd told me in September that UVA would be 8-3 and ranked, and would be playing Virginia Tech on 11/26 for a trip to the ACCCG, I'd have slapped you. Since UVA stopped that crazy "rotate-the-QBs" experiment after NC State, they haven't lost. How does a team come back from a 4-8 season to go 4-1 ON THE ROAD?! Not to mention, sweeping the state of Florida when they hadn't won a game in Florida before 2007. The 2nd half of this season has just been a magic carpet ride, and I want to know what an ACCCG feels like.

What Virginia Must Do to Win

1. Get traction running the ball. UVA's not going to win a 2nd game by rushing for under 100 yards. Then again, FSU's rushing defense is 3rd in the nation. That's really what they do. Virginia Tech's is 13th, giving up 104 yards per game. This is going to be another week that UVA cannot afford to dance in the backfield. Were it me, a steady does of Clifton Richardson would suffice.

2. Be proficient in the intermediate passing game. This is where UVA dominated FSU last night, but it's not an area where UVA's particularly adept. We have the WRs (Tim Smith, Kris Burd) to make it happen: good hands guys that have underrated speed. UVA may need to pass to set up the run in this game, against a VT defense that can be caught napping.

3. Make Logan Thomas win it. You know my thoughts about Thomas. Reid's going to have to dial up heavy pressure not only to stop the run, but force the pass. Thomas has shown inability much of the time to throw accurately while under pressure. If Thomas is ~55% completion, where he's been for most of the season, it won't be enough. He needs ~65%.

4. Avoid special teams mistakes. This is UVA's Achilles' heel. Perry Jones did nothing short of a horrific job returning punts, even fielding one in the end zone. It is imperative that UVA does not make these sorts of mistakes. One miscue can lead to the deciding touchdown.

What Virginia Tech Must Do to Win

1. Ride the horse that got you there. That's David Wilson. He's the ACC's leading rusher for a reason: pressure over time. If UVA's giving the run, VT needs to exploit it. UVA's rushing defense is 28th nationally, and was gashed for 180 yards against FSU. A similar performance would be disastrous. Wilson needs about 30 carries for VT to have a strong chance.

2. Grab some big plays. Opponents have torched UVA for big gains this season. Even FSU had gains of 57 and 68 yards. This comes down to Logan Thomas. He's going to have to step up and make 1 or 2 to give VT a greater chance at winning. The big plays are there, VT just has to take advantage.

3. Get up and pull away. If you let UVA stay within a score, as you saw last night, they will make you pay. No team has beaten UVA by more than 14 points this year. VT can take a clue from NC State, who in beating UVA, kept a 2-score pace the entire second half. VT's going to have to answer UVA when UVA scores.

4. Special teams. For all the talk of "Beamerball", it's not really shown itself much. This is just the special teams unit to exploit, one that doesn't know it's ass from a hole in the ground most of the time. A blocked punt/kick, a fumbled punt, could be the difference in the game.

Applicable Statistics

Total Defense: VT-12th, UVA-25th

Rushing Defense: VT-13th, UVA-28th

Passing Defense: VT-35th, UVA-50th

Total Offense: VT-37th, UVA-42nd

Rushing Offense: VT-26th, UVA-40th

Passing Offense: VT-71st, UVA-60th

Scoring Defense: VT-10th, UVA-28th

Scoring Offense: VT-51st, UVA-76th

Turnover Margin: VT-27th, UVA-63rd

Prediction?

Pain.

Just kidding. UVA's a much different team in the last 4 weeks than in the 7 weeks before, and I attribute that the the QB rotation ending. Since the NC State game, UVA's been one of the more consistent teams in the ACC, whereas much of the conference has been helter-skelter in its play. That includes VT: a 3-point comeback against Miami, 3-point referee-assisted win against UNC, and a 4-point kicker-assisted win against Duke. But VT just keeps winning.

Until Saturday.

Virginia-31, Virginia Tech-17.

My thoughts:

If you'd told me in September that UVA would be 8-3 and ranked, and would be playing Virginia Tech on 11/26 for a trip to the ACCCG, I'd have slapped you. Since UVA stopped that crazy "rotate-the-QBs" experiment after NC State, they haven't lost. How does a team come back from a 4-8 season to go 4-1 ON THE ROAD?! Not to mention, sweeping the state of Florida when they hadn't won a game in Florida before 2007. The 2nd half of this season has just been a magic carpet ride, and I want to know what an ACCCG feels like.

What Virginia Must Do to Win

1. Get traction running the ball. UVA's not going to win a 2nd game by rushing for under 100 yards. Then again, FSU's rushing defense is 3rd in the nation. That's really what they do. Virginia Tech's is 13th, giving up 104 yards per game. This is going to be another week that UVA cannot afford to dance in the backfield. Were it me, a steady does of Clifton Richardson would suffice.

2. Be proficient in the intermediate passing game. This is where UVA dominated FSU last night, but it's not an area where UVA's particularly adept. We have the WRs (Tim Smith, Kris Burd) to make it happen: good hands guys that have underrated speed. UVA may need to pass to set up the run in this game, against a VT defense that can be caught napping.

3. Make Logan Thomas win it. You know my thoughts about Thomas. Reid's going to have to dial up heavy pressure not only to stop the run, but force the pass. Thomas has shown inability much of the time to throw accurately while under pressure. If Thomas is ~55% completion, where he's been for most of the season, it won't be enough. He needs ~65%.

4. Avoid special teams mistakes. This is UVA's Achilles' heel. Perry Jones did nothing short of a horrific job returning punts, even fielding one in the end zone. It is imperative that UVA does not make these sorts of mistakes. One miscue can lead to the deciding touchdown.

What Virginia Tech Must Do to Win

1. Ride the horse that got you there. That's David Wilson. He's the ACC's leading rusher for a reason: pressure over time. If UVA's giving the run, VT needs to exploit it. UVA's rushing defense is 28th nationally, and was gashed for 180 yards against FSU. A similar performance would be disastrous. Wilson needs about 30 carries for VT to have a strong chance.

2. Grab some big plays. Opponents have torched UVA for big gains this season. Even FSU had gains of 57 and 68 yards. This comes down to Logan Thomas. He's going to have to step up and make 1 or 2 to give VT a greater chance at winning. The big plays are there, VT just has to take advantage.

3. Get up and pull away. If you let UVA stay within a score, as you saw last night, they will make you pay. No team has beaten UVA by more than 14 points this year. VT can take a clue from NC State, who in beating UVA, kept a 2-score pace the entire second half. VT's going to have to answer UVA when UVA scores.

4. Special teams. For all the talk of "Beamerball", it's not really shown itself much. This is just the special teams unit to exploit, one that doesn't know it's ass from a hole in the ground most of the time. A blocked punt/kick, a fumbled punt, could be the difference in the game.

Applicable Statistics

Total Defense: VT-12th, UVA-25th

Rushing Defense: VT-13th, UVA-28th

Passing Defense: VT-35th, UVA-50th

Total Offense: VT-37th, UVA-42nd

Rushing Offense: VT-26th, UVA-40th

Passing Offense: VT-71st, UVA-60th

Scoring Defense: VT-10th, UVA-28th

Scoring Offense: VT-51st, UVA-76th

Turnover Margin: VT-27th, UVA-63rd

Prediction?

Pain.

Just kidding. UVA's a much different team in the last 4 weeks than in the 7 weeks before, and I attribute that the the QB rotation ending. Since the NC State game, UVA's been one of the more consistent teams in the ACC, whereas much of the conference has been helter-skelter in its play. That includes VT: a 3-point comeback against Miami, 3-point referee-assisted win against UNC, and a 4-point kicker-assisted win against Duke. But VT just keeps winning.

Until Saturday.

Virginia-31, Virginia Tech-17.

Not bad analysis. I still think you undervalue Logan Thomas, but that's just me. As far as this game goes, I don't know where 48 total points are going to come from. I think first to 20 points will win it, so I'm going to predict 20-17 VT.

Not bad analysis. I still think you undervalue Logan Thomas, but that's just me. As far as this game goes, I don't know where 48 total points are going to come from. I think first to 20 points will win it, so I'm going to predict 20-17 VT.

After watching the UNC game, I only seen Logan Thomas make 2 good downfield throws. If UNC could have stopped the screen pass they would have done a lot better on defense. I'd say Mike London is going to be running scout team screens all week.

That's understandable. Seems like many of VT's games have been the "23-3" and "14-10" variety, but there have also been those "38-35" and "37-26". Difference of opinion on our parts, I guess, but I could see it shaping up like you say.

After watching the UNC game, I only seen Logan Thomas make 2 good downfield throws.

Neither QB threw well down field in that game with the wind swirling the way it did.

Neither QB threw well down field in that game with the wind swirling the way it did.

GMan, just an idea: You need to find the best picture of LT3 you can find for UVAO's profile if/when he's Hokie'd for about a month. :D