what is the latest on reclassification of teams?

HB Burke

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all rumors until Feb.

this is the info i got on it:

by a 26-0 vote, the Executive Committee directed the Redistricting and Reclassification Committee (R&R) to institute a plan that has 4 or 5 or 6 classifications for the 2013-14 and 2014-15 cycle and present this to the Executive Committee at the February 22 meeting. Therefore, the R&R Committee will be charged with developing this revised classification system at its February 2 meeting. An Ad Hoc Classification Task Force has been developed to reflect the desires of the executive committee, develop guidelines, obtain relevant information and suggest considerations that can be presented to the R&R Committee prior to its February 2 meeting.

by a 26-0 vote, the Executive Committee directed the Redistricting and Reclassification Committee (R&R) to institute a plan that has 4 or 5 or 6 classifications for the 2013-14 and 2014-15 cycle and present this to the Executive Committee at the February 22 meeting. Therefore, the R&R Committee will be charged with developing this revised classification system at its February 2 meeting. An Ad Hoc Classification Task Force has been developed to reflect the desires of the executive committee, develop guidelines, obtain relevant information and suggest considerations that can be presented to the R&R Committee prior to its February 2 meeting.

Where did you get that?

Maybe this is a dumb question but what benefit would there be to going to a AAAA, AAAAA system when they basically have that now? You now have A, AA and AAA with two classifications in each group so in reality you already have 6 different classifications.

Maybe this is a dumb question but what benefit would there be to going to a AAAA, AAAAA system when they basically have that now? You now have A, AA and AAA with two classifications in each group so in reality you already have 6 different classifications.

i'm guessing it would do away with divisions? just have A, AA, AAA, and 4A?

I am not really sure how they are trying to do things at this point or what the big idea here is?

They should get the classification issue solved before they worry about redistricting IMO.

I think that is what they will do...reclassify then new distric alignments based on where everyone falls....may see a few new districs created and some others go away.

I think that is what they will do...reclassify then new distric alignments based on where everyone falls....may see a few new districs created and some others go away.

The VHSL could really help themselfs out if they were to allow mixed districts in effect seperating the Class and District issues which are in realaty 2 seperat problem sets any way

Question- Is the Southwest and the Lonesome Pine the two oldest districts in SWVA? I know the Black Diamond was pretty much the old Clinch Valley, what were some of the other disitricts?

The Southwest is the oldest by far. The current inception of the SWD came about in the mid 50's but I remember being told many years ago that it existed long before that. The LPD came into existence in 1960. When classification was first introduced there were three classes, or Groups- A,B, and C or Group I, Group II, and Group III. Have heard both letters and numerals used interchangeably. There were conferences within those classifications- but I am not certain conferences meant that much in terms of playoffs. After WW II the classification divisions were always designated and referred to as Groups. In 1946 the old conference system was abandoned and our current District system set up. The Districts in our area went by numerical designation except the SWD and the Western in Group I. In Group II everything west of Roanoke was in Districts 6, 7, and 8. The SWD schools were Group II until the 50's when they moved up to Group I. Many of the mid-level to upper level schools in Group II did not want to move up to Group I, but they wanted a higher level of competition, etc.- so the VHSL in its infinite wisdom split Group I into I-A and I-B. This is when the LPD, along with the New River and Valley came into existence. In 1970 this was wiped out. District 8 became the Cumberland, District 7 the Clinch Valley, District 6 the Hogo and others. The Districts before 1970 were very large- I believe District 6 had a max of 13 members at one time.

Marion applied to get in to the Hogoheegee and was voted down 4-2.

They could vote 6-0 against them but if they have single a numbers, and they do they will be in the hogoheegee.

The Southwest is the oldest by far. The current inception of the SWD came about in the mid 50's but I remember being told many years ago that it existed long before that. The LPD came into existence in 1960. When classification was first introduced there were three classes, or Groups- A,B, and C or Group I, Group II, and Group III. Have heard both letters and numerals used interchangeably. There were conferences within those classifications- but I am not certain conferences meant that much in terms of playoffs. After WW II the classification divisions were always designated and referred to as Groups. In 1946 the old conference system was abandoned and our current District system set up. The Districts in our area went by numerical designation except the SWD and the Western in Group I. In Group II everything west of Roanoke was in Districts 6, 7, and 8. The SWD schools were Group II until the 50's when they moved up to Group I. Many of the mid-level to upper level schools in Group II did not want to move up to Group I, but they wanted a higher level of competition, etc.- so the VHSL in its infinite wisdom split Group I into I-A and I-B. This is when the LPD, along with the New River and Valley came into existence. In 1970 this was wiped out. District 8 became the Cumberland, District 7 the Clinch Valley, District 6 the Hogo and others. The Districts before 1970 were very large- I believe District 6 had a max of 13 members at one time.

The SWD began in 1956, before that it was known as district 7.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we're going to have 6 classifications.....like we have right now.....

They could vote 6-0 against them but if they have single a numbers, and they do they will be in the hogoheegee.

You don't think they will even consider putting them in the Clinch Mountain Dist which has a lot of the old Southwest District teams in it? Teams such as Battle, VA High, Gate City, Lee.

Exactly....it was the principals that voted and didn't want them in.....they'll be in the Hogoheegee....whether the principals want them there or not...

You don't think they will even consider putting them in the Clinch Mountain Dist which has a lot of the old Southwest District teams in it? Teams such as Battle, VA High, Gate City, Lee.

I don't think so, they're right smack dab in the middle of the Hogoheegee....

As I have said before, six classifications are fine. The problem with they way divisions are divided leads to huge differences in enrollments within a given division. In those regions with large AA schools, you can end up with a Division 3 school with an enrollment of 1,500; versus a region when their is a range in size a Division 3 school can have an enrollment or 800.

Six classifications with hard numbers like the three classifications now have can solve that.

As I have said before, six classifications are fine. The problem with they way divisions are divided leads to huge differences in enrollments within a given division. In those regions with large AA schools, you can end up with a Division 3 school with an enrollment of 1,500; versus a region when their is a range in size a Division 3 school can have an enrollment or 800.

Six classifications with hard numbers like the three classifications now have can solve that.

That has been my battle cry for years....Break the numbers by the state not by region and EVERYTHING is good

AAAA works well in PA, and AAAAA works well in TN. Choose one and roll with it, I say.