VHSL redistricting proposal

trublue

Not that anyone really cares about the small schools benefit but a district combination with the MED and HOGO would be good. small schools being Narrows, Bland, Northwood, Holston, Ph-Glade, and Rural Retreat, larger being Galax, Fort, Grayson, GW, Graham,Chilhowie.

That way the small school like Narrows and Bland don't have to close out the season playing Grayson, Fort, Graham, and most years Galax. We have to hope for 6 wins out of districts because 1 out of 10 years or more we might win over those 4 schools.

Also be nice to put the Single A cap at 425.

Why don't they put the cap at 400 or 425 for Group A. Radford, George Wythe, Fort Chiswell, Chilhowie don't need to be in the same group as say Bland, Narrows, Hurley, Twin Valley, etc. just to name a few. And how does this plan benefit these small schools???????

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fb2

If the cutoff drops much below 475 thn the number of schools competiting in A would be VERY low, there just arent that many really small schools in VA. If it was a purely competition issue the number should be set around 300, but its just not possible.

player99

PH-Glade is larger than Galax, Chilhowie and GW. So your BIG/small setup doesent work but the concept is sound and things could very well shake out that way.

I get the feeling that the districts as we currently know them are about to be seriously chopped up. But I think may will look alot like they did 25 years ago.

Edited by redtiger

fb2

If the cutoff drops much below 475 thn the number of schools competiting in A would be VERY low, there just arent that many really small schools in VA. If it was a purely competition issue the number should be set around 300, but its just not possible.

player99

PH-Glade is larger than Galax, Chilhowie and GW. So your BIG/small setup doesent work but the concept is sound and things could very well shake out that way.

I get the feeling that the districts as we currently know them are about to be seriously chopped up. But I think may will look alot like they did 25 years ago.

Redtiger

PH-Glade Spring is not bigger than George Wythe or Chilhowie and if the cutoff was say 425 then you would only move about 6 or 7 teams up to Group AA. Again, I just ask what has the new plan done to help the small schools. The smaller schools can not compete with GW, Radford, Fort Chiswell, Chilhowie on a consistant basis. How long has it been since GW lost a Hogoheegee football or basketball game. Why not go 0-425, 426-699. You would only be moving 6 or 7 teams from Group A to Group AA and things would be much more competitive for everyone.

Taking into accout my assumptions that Dickenson Co will be able to consolidate in the near future and Norton merges w/ Wise, this is how the districts could very well end up looking. I went w/ the more historical district names over the newer ones(ex. SWD over CMD)

Southwest- Grundy, Richlands, Tazewell, Virginia, Battle, Marion, Abingdon, Lebanon

Lonesome Pine- Ridgeview, Union, Central, Eastside, Lee, Gate City

Cumberland- Hurley, Twin Valley, Castlewood, Rye Cove, Twin Springs, Thomas Walker

Hogoheegee- Holston, Northwood, Chilhowie, Bland, Rural Retreat, Narrows, Honaker

Mtn. Empire- G Wythe, Ft Chiswell, Grayson Co., Graham, P. Henry, Floyd Co, Giles, Radford, Glenvar

Pioneer- Bath Co, Covington, Craig Co, James River, Parry McCluer, Auburn, East Mont

Largest districts have 8 schools, smallest have 6. All are pretty even in terms of enrollment. Some districts have 2 hour trips but I simply dont see how those could be avoided if schools are gonna be placed in districts based on enrollment. The Black Diamond, Clinch Mtn, ans Three Rivers would all be eliminated.

Just my opnion on how things may work out.

Edited by redtiger

Redtiger

PH-Glade Spring is not bigger than George Wythe or Chilhowie and if the cutoff was say 425 then you would only move about 6 or 7 teams up to Group AA. Again, I just ask what has the new plan done to help the small schools. The smaller schools can not compete with GW, Radford, Fort Chiswell, Chilhowie on a consistant basis. How long has it been since GW lost a Hogoheegee football or basketball game. Why not go 0-425, 426-699. You would only be moving 6 or 7 teams from Group A to Group AA and things would be much more competitive for everyone.

I just checked the VHSL website, youre right PH is smaller.

If the cutoff was dropped from 475 to 425 about 10 schools would move up to AA, leaving less than 40 in A(that number will be even smaller in a few years due to consolidation). Thats too few in comparison to the size of the other groups, which would all be 50+/-

You used GW as an example, should they at just above 400 students have to play schools w/ 700+ students? Because thats what they would be doing in AA

Edited by redtiger

Taking into accout my assumptions that Dickenson Co will be able to consolidate in the near future and Norton merges w/ Wise, this is how the districts could very well end up looking. I went w/ the more historical district names over the newer ones(ex. SWD over CMD)

Southwest- Grundy, Richlands, Tazewell, Virginia, Battle, Marion, Abingdon, Lebanon

Cumberland- Hurley, Twin Valley, Castlewood, Rye Cove, Twin Springs, Thomas Walker

Hogoheegee- Holston, Northwood, Chilhowie, Bland, Rural Retreat, Narrows, Honaker

Mtn. Empire- G Wythe, Ft Chiswell, Grayson Co., Graham, P. Henry, Floyd Co, Giles, Radford, Glenvar

Pioneer- Bath Co, Covington, Craig Co, James River, Parry McCluer, Auburn, East Mont

Largest districts have 8 schools, smallest have 6. All are pretty even in terms of enrollment. Some districts have 2 hour trips but I simply dont see how those could be avoided if schools are gonna be placed in districts based on enrollment. The Black Diamond, Clinch Mtn, ans Three Rivers would all be eliminated.

Why do you insist on putting Honaker in the HOGO??? Geographically, it does not make sense...pull out a map and take a look at it...

Why do you insist on putting Honaker in the HOGO??? Geographically, it does not make sense...pull out a map and take a look at it...

A trip from Honaker to any school in the Hogo is about the same to any of the BDD schools. The Hogo never wanted any of the Russell Co schools in the district though. Honaker tried to rejoin the district a few years back and they said no. They tried to avoid Lebanon like the plague when they left the Southwest District and again when they left the Highlands. As far as Castlewood I don't know if they left on their own or if they were banished to the Cumberland. Russell Co is kind of a funny situation because they are smack in the middle of far SWVA, any of the three schools would fit well into any of the districts in this area.

I know that Honaker doesent fit geographically. I put Honaker in the Hogo for alot of reasons. I just feel thats how its gonna work out, they were former Hogo members and have wanted to return for some time. I didnt put them in the SWD because the SWD in my setup already has 8 teams and the Hogo w/o Honaker would only have 6 and the basis of this setup was BIG and small school districts and Honaker is more of a small school. I know Honaker is smack in the middle of this version of the SWD, I just dont think they would want to be in that district. I may well be wrong about that. Gman why do you think they would want to be a part of the SWD?

Graham would fit in the MED or SWD, I put them in the MED to keep the districts somewhat balanced. Outside of the opportunity to play Richlands and Tazewell does Graham really care what district they are in?

If Honaker and Graham were added to the SWD then the SWD would have 10 schools. I know big districts make scheduling easier but would Graham really want to have Bluefield as their only nondistrict game? What about Lebanon, would they want to give up either Gate City or Honaker(both big gate games for them)? Would Marion want to give up playing the schools closest to them?

I always thought Honaker didnt join the Hogo because the VHSL wouldnt let them? The VHSL wanted to try to keep Regions C and D balanced. D was smaller and couldnt afford to lose any schools to C.

Edited by redtiger

This is curious- Richlands and Marion are on the modification list but not Abingdon or Tazewell. The 475 cutoff for single A is an odd number- I suspect it may have been arrived at to keep Eastside A- given who is chairman of the VHSL executive committee.

I think the cutoff number could be dropped, 400 wouldnt be bad but im just not sure it will happen.

When 475 was choses Eastside was expected to have over 500 students. SO I dont know how much that had to do with the choice of that number.

This is curious- Richlands and Marion are on the modification list but not Abingdon or Tazewell. The 475 cutoff for single A is an odd number- I suspect it may have been arrived at to keep Eastside A- given who is chairman of the VHSL executive committee.

Right out beside the Richlands description it says (Abingdon and Tazewell), implying that the move was requested by all three.

In the last couple of hours Wise County is in a bit of an uproar over the Norton situation- apparently the Wise County Superintendent has offered to keep Burton open for infinity if the city merges with the county. One can safely conclude that no matter what happens Burton will be there.

Most of the opposition to the 6A plan seems to be out of Tidewater. Heard earlier the Bay Rivers was particularly unhappy.

I know big districts make scheduling easier but would Graham really want to have Bluefield as their only nondistrict game?

Why not? It was that way from 1970 until 1986...

I cant see Union EVER leaving the LPD(unless there is no longer an LPD), those roots run deep. I see a new district w/ all of the teams Lance mentioned(more or less) under the name Southwest or Clinch Mtn. As well as a "new" LPD with Ridgeview, Central, Eastside, Union, Lee and Gate City. A Cumberland/ Black Diamond with Thomas Walker, Rye Cove, Twin Springs, Castlewood, Hurley, Twin Valley and Council. Honaker to the Hogo. The small A schools get screwed but thats the only feasible option(only option w/o MAJOR differences in enrollment).

Gate City will fight to stay out of the LPD.

I like the 6A deal, but the districts are a mess...I'm all for larger districts...I don't like 4 or 5 team districts when they are not going to be used for anything other than groupings...if district winners dont really matter anymore for playoff bids, then put more schools that are close together in the same districts and make it easier for everyone to fill a schedule. It would also break up some of these little partnerships that are going on.

The LPD is pretty much finished. It needs to be disbanded. Burton is not going to be closed in the foreseeable future. Clintwood may be around for a long while simply because Dickenson County is going to only receive a small portion of the federal money they claim to be getting.

I remember in the sixties and early seventies all of the districts were large and things worked very well. The old LPD and District 6 had up to eleven or twelve members. There were some distance issues- but no scheduling problems.

Just curious, but why would you put Patrick Henry in the MED and not keep them in the Hogo in your setup? I like most of what you have there, but PH out of the Hogo is a little odd for me, especially when they are so close to Holston, Chilhowie, Northwood, and others.

PH is in the MED simply because they are quite a bit larger than Holston, Chilhowie, Northwood, etc. I counted them as a BIG.

If the LPD is disbanded then where do Union and Central go? Does the CMD stay together and the SWD basically remain as is?

Im personally not in favor of any district over 9 teams. Up to 11 could work but I would think the schools would like to have some flexability in who they play instead of having all 10 game set every year, maybe im wrong.

PH is in the MED simply because they are quite a bit larger than Holston, Chilhowie, Northwood, etc. I counted them as a BIG.

If the LPD is disbanded then where do Union and Central go? Does the CMD stay together and the SWD basically remain as is?

Im personally not in favor of any district over 9 teams. Up to 11 could work but I would think the schools would like to have some flexability in who they play instead of having all 10 game set every year, maybe im wrong.

i like 8 to 9 team districts...still leaves you a couple of games to schedule rivals if you want to...Graham vs. Bluefield...etc.

In the last couple of hours Wise County is in a bit of an uproar over the Norton situation- apparently the Wise County Superintendent has offered to keep Burton open for infinity if the city merges with the county. One can safely conclude that no matter what happens Burton will be there.

That doesent make alot of sense to me. Even w/ the merger the total student population of doesent warrant 4 schools. 2 schools with around 700 students, 1 with 400+ and another w/ 200+. With no geographic barriers I see a clear solution, consolidate the 400 and the 200. Why dont they just build a new school in the Tacoma area? Its 1/2 way between Coeburn and Norton.

From my understanding the fundinng for Ridgeview was always intended to be a cut from the Corps of Engineers budget every year until the school is finished, it wasnt a lump sum. The issue of "would the money get cut off half way through the project" came up several times and the CoE stated that they approached it like anyother project and had no intention of not finishing it or halting progress.

Edited by redtiger

i like 8 to 9 team districts...still leaves you a couple of games to schedule rivals if you want to...Graham vs. Bluefield...etc.

I think 8 is optimal but at some point travel becomes a factor. 6 team districts arent too bad but any smaller is almost pointless.

I keep hearing that GC will not rejoin the LPD, why?

If the LPD is disbanded then where do Union, Central and Ridgeview go?

Union and Central to the CMD and Ridgeview to the SWD? That trip from Bluefield to DC is killer.

Edited by redtiger