looks like a good district.....

TheChampIsHere

It does not make sense to me to go through a major reclassification and still end up with a Lee-Marion district contest of 100+ miles one way. Lee dropped to A over travel concerns the first time, are we not getting back to the same thing again?

It does not make sense to me to go through a major reclassification and still end up with a Lee-Marion district contest of 100+ miles one way. Lee dropped to A over travel concerns the first time, are we not getting back to the same thing again?

From my perspective (Richlands born and Richlands bred), the proposed CMD is a fantastic arrangement. But I can certainly appreciate the fact that reasonable minds will differ.

Lee's actually in a pretty good position now. The Generals will be guaranteed 8 football games for the first time since.... well, probably for the first time ever. If travel is truly that much of a concern, then they could easily shift to the LPD and try to secure long-term contracts with Kentucky schools.

And Marion tried to do the sensible thing in terms of travel by petitioning to join the Hogo. Blame the VHSL committee for not having the stones to overrule the 4 Hogoheegee members who blackballed them.

Geographical outliers in any district will always have to juggle the travel issue. The new guidelines allow for tremendous flexibility and creativity in aligning district membership. But it's up to the local leaders to take advantage of the opportunity.

As far as travel for Richlands. Going to Lee is just a little bit longer than going to Carroll!!

I like the looks of the new district

Exactly. I love the new look. Renewing some old rivalries will be awesome. Lebanon/Richlands was always a good rivalry. It'll also be nice to head back to VHS and Lee again. Battle is looking up as well.

Can't wait to hear how FM/SB weigh in.

At least its not from Lee to Carroll!

I don't think the travel situation is all that bad. Remember back then Lee was in Region IV also. At that time they were looking at the possibility of a district schedule that had Abingdon as their closest opponent and trips to Grundy, Carroll, etc., then add the regional games on top if it and it wasn't a pretty scenario. The CMD combined with still being in Region D isn't quite as bad. As already mentioned, scheduling will be easier and at least in football they can probably keep Union on the schedule and have someone like Harlan County on it too (do away with Thomas Walker series). Competition will be better and you keep the Gate City, Virginia High, and so on rivalries going along with renewing old ones like with Abingdon and getting the series with Richlands back again. Stick with the CMD.

Exactly. I love the new look. Renewing some old rivalries will be awesome. Lebanon/Richlands was always a good rivalry. It'll also be nice to head back to VHS and Lee again. Battle is looking up as well.

Can't wait to hear how FM/SB weigh in.

Yep. As for FM and SB, it's gonna be the same crap they always say, about how they "will crush" us and the other teams....

Yep. As for FM and SB, it's gonna be the same crap they always say, about how they "will crush" us and the other teams....

you talk a lot of crap about richlands dominating everyone like know one knows that already but I have to keep in mind that you are only 15

you talk a lot of crap about richlands dominating everyone like know one knows that already but I have to keep in mind that you are only 15

Ha, when has BTF ever talked about how Richlands will dominate? I've seen most of his posts, and I don't recall him ever being out of line with any "crap" talking.

I think Marion should go to the Hogo....like they want to do....they are smack dab in the middle of it, no competitive advantage by having more students, that's ridiculous....enrollment is falling like a rock...

I think if you could ask the people of northwood they would let you know that they were forced to vote for Marion since they are in the same county. And I think I read somewhere maybe even on another web site that richlands didn't like playing against liberty-bealton because of enrollment and people not saying richlands only, wonder why northwood with 260 wouldn't want Marion 700+…

And I think I read somewhere maybe even on another web site that richlands didn't like playing against liberty-bealton because of enrollment and people not saying richlands only, wonder why northwood with 260 wouldn't want Marion 700+…

You read that here. I posted it...not Richlands's fans...so lay off the Richlands fans.

And no, it isn't fair for either school to have to play schools that much larger than them...that's why we will have a new system in a couple of years.

I think if you could ask the people of northwood they would let you know that they were forced to vote for Marion since they are in the same county. And I think I read somewhere maybe even on another web site that richlands didn't like playing against liberty-bealton because of enrollment and people not saying richlands only, wonder why northwood with 260 wouldn't want Marion 700+…

What about all those years Graham and Grundy (400-500 students) played in the same district as Carroll Co. (1000+)? Or now, Grundy playing in the same district as Council (120 students)? The system may never be perfect but Marion in the Hogo would make the most sense.

Marion and Northwood play regularly in most sports already, along with other Hogo schools, don't they? How much ofof a significance will disttrict play have in this system? They'll be still be in different divisions too, so what's the big deal?

The Marion football program has fallen on hard times as of late but the potiental is there for a yearly beatdown and how does that help either team?

It is a bad deal for Grundy and council to be in the same district but where else would Grundy fit? LPD? CMD? Both would have long travel times.

Council is an incredibly small school, even against Haysi they are playing a school w/ twice their enrollment.

As far as Grundy and Graham playing Carroll Co, thats the path they chose. It wasnt forced on them.

Marion would be a natural fit in the HOGO but it wouldnt be a good move imo but purely grographic districts seems to be the direction the VHSL is moving toward.

Edited by redtiger

Do the good folks at Northwood feel the same pressure to play Marion in nearly every sport that they offer? Because that's what they're doing RIGHT NOW. And that's also the main issue here -- the cost related to scheduling. Since they've already been playing Marion for years, why the sudden objection to including them in a district that's essentially meaningless for every other purpose?

I didn't chime in on the Liberty(Bealeton) comments, but I personally don't agree much with them. My understanding is that each team had five players on the court at any given time, Liberty's just plain talented, and Richlands still made a pretty good run at them.

And I also don't expect Richlands to be uber-competitive at the state level in any sport just because we'll be playing schools of the same size if we make it that far.

Any other red herrings that need to be pickled here?

(Didn't mean to parrot Beamerball's comment -- with which I obviously concur.)

I can understand Northwood objection to being in the same district as Marion but I get the feeling that districts being arranged on an almost purely geographic basis is the way the VHSL is heading.

If the HOGO schools were avoiding Marion I think their objections would be much more valid.

Do the good folks at Northwood feel the same pressure to play Marion in nearly every sport that they offer? Because that's what they're doing RIGHT NOW. And that's also the main issue here -- the cost related to scheduling. Since they've already been playing Marion for years, why the sudden objection to including them in a district that's essentially meaningless for every other purpose?

I didn't chime in on the Liberty(Bealeton) comments, but I personally don't agree much with them. My understanding is that each team had five players on the court at any given time, Liberty's just plain talented, and Richlands still made a pretty good run at them.

And I also don't expect Richlands to be uber-competitive at the state level in any sport just because we'll be playing schools of the same size if we make it that far.

Any other red herrings that need to be pickled here?

(Didn't mean to parrot Beamerball's comment -- with which I obviously concur.)

I usually agree with you but I don't this time. Marion doesn't belong in the Hogo any more than Richlands belongs in the BDD. The CMD is a perfect fit for them.

I'm proud of the Lady Blues for getting as far as they did, and for making Bealton sweat a little... But imagine if Richlands and Tazewell were combined (1300+ enrolment) and played Bealton... It's true you can only put five on the court at a time but do you really think Bealton could have found THAT five in a school with 700?

When Richlands makes the state playoffs under the new system they will no longer have to "play up" a level as they, and everyone else in Region IV, Division 3, have had to do under the current system.

When Richlands makes the state playoffs under the new system they will no longer have to "play up" a level as they, and everyone else in Region IV, Division 3, have had to do under the current system.

Most of SWVA has been "playing up", from schools like richlands playing schools with enrollments well over 1,000 to schools like Clintwood playing schools w/ enrollments over 600. Under the new system the SWVA schools should fare very, very well at the state level.

Marion and Northwood play regularly in most sports already, along with other Hogo schools, don't they? How much ofof a significance will disttrict play have in this system? They'll be still be in different divisions too, so what's the big deal?

My thought exactly...you'd think the other schools would welcome the challenge...(or lack thereof in some sports)....it's not like they'd be playing Phoebus or anything...

Marion's enrollment is currently 680

I usually agree with you but I don't this time. Marion doesn't belong in the Hogo any more than Richlands belongs in the BDD. The CMD is a perfect fit for them.

I'm proud of the Lady Blues for getting as far as they did, and for making Bealton sweat a little... But imagine if Richlands and Tazewell were combined (1300+ enrolment) and played Bealton... It's true you can only put five on the court at a time but do you really think Bealton could have found THAT five in a school with 700?

I get (and appreciate) the Richlands/BDD analogy, but it doesn't correlate directly to Marion's situation. Other than basketball and the one football rivalry with Honaker, Richlands has never had any longstanding scheduling arrangements with any BDD members besides Grundy.

I'm very happy to have Marion as a partner in the CMD. I'm just struggling to understand the logic behind the Hogo blackballing them, because geographically they make PERFECT sense for that league. They're squarely in the middle of it, for Pete's sake. And a large number of Hogo schools schedule them regularly in all sports. I'd still love to understand the precise logic behind this one. I suspect it's mainly because the Hogo schools are afraid to obligate themselves to playing Marion on a regular basis (which means it's okay to take a beating on a voluntary basis, I suppose). But I realize that I'm harping on it, and it's no skin off my nose either way, so I'll stop now.

Personally, I think the issue is demographics, not density. R.E. Lee-Staunton does pretty well with 700 students on an annual basis.

I agree wholeheartedly that state-level championship competition should be as evenly stacked as possible, that the current system has some gross inequality to it, and that the proposed system is far superior in addressing that issue.

Maybe the fact that Marion has over 700 students and the largest hogo school has 460 has something to do with it. When Marion is bigger than Holston and Northwood put together I would think they are better fit with CMD.