Tazewell vs. Richlands JV

GMan

There is only 1 holdback kid on the jv team and I should know because he's my kid.

QUOTE=hoard;282502]If people are going to hold their kids back for sports, then maybe they should have to foot the bill instead of the taxpayers.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8th grade won 42-14....guess they were all holdbacks also....my suggestion is if you want a better team get some better coaches and that CC offense that came to Tazewell that I watched the other night ain't gonna cut the mustard....when you looked down on the field before the game and saw the teams warming up you would swear the team in green was better....but once the game started that assumption ended....

There are 3 holdbacks on the middle school team

Can't believe that anyone has mentioned the quality coaching staff at TMS this year :)

I think the RMS 8th grade coaches are doing a fine job. Someone mentioned our feeder program as "second to none." Thanks.

A couple of our youth coaches have mentioned to me lately how our coaching staffs in the RMFLI are stacked. If you look there are 8-10 guys coaching that were either on the '92 or the '06 state championship teams. Of those guys, I would say only 1 or 2 of them have a child that is playing. Not to mention loads of other guys that have played at Richlands in other years.

I have told people for the last few years that the important factors in youth football are:

1. player retention - keep them playing.

2. player development - got to make sure they are actually getting better.

3. coaching development - a lot of coaches that don't have kids are involved. The better the coaching is, the better #2 is. No need to pull out Steve Spurrier's playbook out (although I have been guilty of that in the past.) Teach them how to tackle, block and compete. Nothing stimulates improvement like good old competition.

Now to have all of this going on. You got to have good management. Our Board has taken thier knocks (especially this past off season) but, we have good quality people that care about kids and love football. You all know where Richlands Football ends. 8 straight SWD titles, 2 state titles, boo-koos of regional titles. If you want to see where Richlands football (or Honaker or Twin Valley) starts........come on down on Tuesday and Thursday nights and on Saturdays. None of our guys draw a salary. And our coaches are more concerned with the majority and not just "his kid." Our coaches are there because they love football and want to pass it down.

I'm sure you were complaining a ton to the Graham coaching staff when guys transferred in from Bluefield. Don't know if its true, but I was told that Greg Ridley never really moved across the line.

C'mon man, you know he lived 'cross the trax...

Word is we got two more from Bluefield in a trade for the Coppola kid...Bluefield also added some cash in the deal, that's how we got the new unis this year.

And, like I said earlier, now that the TCSB has opened the borders again, we'll be recruiting hard across the state line...Booster Club is working hard to raise money to increase our recruiting budget...

It happens at Richlands quite often i know that for a fact but what i also know is that alot of the times its the parents that hold the kid back. In alot of cases they hold them back for sports not so that they can dominate the JV/8th grade but because "jr" would not get much playing time if he had went on because of another kid being maybe just a little better at the position mom or dad want "jr" to play. I do not agree with it but it happens and will keep going on why a adult would want to hinder there child ill never understand.

It happens at Richlands quite often i know that for a fact

Thank you for taking off your Blue & White glasses for a moment and telling the truth about what goes on.

You guys better be glad Will Lowe didnt hold back I think he was only 17 when he graduated he could still be playing lol. Some body would be getting rushed to the hospital to get their liver repaired if he would have had another year or two to get bigger and stronger.

Little league.

Nevermind, I ask the coach and he said they played the 8th grade team. I knew it wasn't the little league because I have friend whose son plays on the Raiders 6th and 7th grade team or 11-13 year olds, whatever you want to call that division.

I don't know why you start a kid in school if there is a chance of holding him back in middle school. Just wait to send him to Kindergarten and No one would ever know and it would't be an issue.

Just because there are holdbacks doesn't mean they were necessarily held back in the 8th. grade. Holdbacks can occur at any level...usually earlier is the norm.

It just makes for a more interesting read to imply/infer that Richlands does it in the 8th. grade solely for sports.

Afterall, now that the "T" word (transfers) has been mentioned at other schools (not only locally ...also, the roanoke. com in their 2012 football preview) ...there has to be another reason Richlands is successful...and, "HB's" has now become the buzzword.

It could NOT possibly be because of the outstanding RMLFI system for the elementary kids, the coaches and volunteers at that level, the coaches at the 8th. grade and J.V. level, HC Mance and all his outstanding assistants at the varsity level, ...and, finally, the hardworking, determined players that want to continue the winning tradition that has been in place for a number of years. Pshaw...fergitaboutthatnonsense...Richlands football success couldn't possibly be due to any such efforts!!!

"HB's" makes "it" so much more "discussable" and "enjoyable" it seems and could be perceived by some as a diversionary tactic , eh ??? :D

Edited by trublue

just because there are holdbacks doesn't mean they were necessarily held back in the 8th. Grade. Holdbacks can occur at any level...usually earlier is the norm.

It just makes for a more interesting read to imply/infer that richlands does it in the 8th. Grade solely for sports.

Afterall, now that the "t" word has been mentioned at other schools (not only locally ...also, the roanoke. Com in their 2012 football preview) ...there has to be another reason richlands is successful...and, "hb's" has now become the buzzword.

It could not possibly be because of the outstanding rmlfi system for the elementary kids, the coaches and volunteers at that level, the coaches at the 8th. Grade and j.v. Level, hc mance and all his outstanding assistants at the varsity level, ...and, finally, the hardworking, determined players that want to continue the winning tradition that has been in place for a number of years. Phsaw...fergitaboutthatnonsense...richlands football success couldn't possibly be due to any such efforts!!!

"hb's" makes "it" so much more "discussable" and "enjoyable" it seems and could be perceived by some as a diversionary tactic , eh ??? :d

this ^

Na he don't hate us. He is looking and hoping for a weak class to come thru so his team might have more of a chance of beating them. Talk last year was Richlands doesn't have much talent coming up, going to have some down years.... Seems that has changed so they have to blame something. Can't be the program, the coaching, community involvement, the work ethic and desire these fellows have to buy into.

Fussing about somebody learning how to work for something they want? don't sound like a g-man.

Take notes Richlands fans and players these guys are wanting to beat you real bad.

Not only beat you real bad but, don't like you! Don't like the program, the coaches or the community either!

I know this, I'd be ticked off now if somebody had delayed my post high school life a year for 10, 11, or however many football games it takes to reach the state semi finals.

I know this, I'd be ticked off now if somebody had delayed my post high school life a year for 10, 11, or however many football games it takes to reach the state semi finals.

It is the decision of the KID and the PARENT. You are acting like the coaches are running some kind of Nazi camp or something. I mean really, gimme a break. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong if a parent make te choice to hold a kid back. For ANY reason. It's redicilois how far some people will reach to make everything ok on their head.

Guest king kone
The kid can't do it without PARENTAL PERMISSION...
Do you ever stop? This obsession is getting old.....