Best away places to play and coolest fans

com74bsslc

Love going to Union walking thru town nice old stadium always someone grilling in front lawn nice fans. Honaker fans are super nice. Gatecity fans have lots of class. Virginia High cool field. Grundy awesome hotdogs. Abingdon have always liked the stands and how the field is sunken. Of course Ernie Hicks is awesome but I am a Richlands fan.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love going to Union walking thru town nice old stadium always someone grilling in front lawn nice fans. Honaker fans are super nice. Gatecity fans have lots of class. Virginia High cool field. Grundy awesome hotdogs. Abingdon have always liked the stands and how the field is sunken. Of course Ernie Hicks is awesome but I am a Richlands fan.

my opinion of the best place to play and the coolest fans would be at mitchell stadium with GRAHAM and beaver fans at the game, cannot beat the atmosphere and with the fan area in the parking lot all i can say is you need to be there.

I agree that Honaker's fans are really nice. I always like playing them, whether it's away or home. For me, since I film games and am either in or on top of the press box, I like Gate City. People in the booth are always super nice and they give us free drinks and pizza.

Never been to a Graham /Beaver game and can imagine it would be awesome at mitchell when it is full. In the past when we've player either team there it just feels to big. Almost like on TV when those really rich people go out to eat and pay $200 for a big plate and it has a cracker with a spoon full of steak on it.

Honaker fans are super nice. Gatecity fans have lots of class. Grundy awesome hotdogs.

Ive personally had mixed results with both Honaker and GC. Had rocks thrown at our bus at Honaker, but spoke with some nice people from there as well. Lots of jackasses at GC, but mostly teenagers and college aged kids(adults should keep them reigned in). I dont assume the entire fan base is like that.

Grundy does have some good hotdogs!

Union does play at a cool stadium and Bullett Park has more history than any other stadium in SWVA(maybe the state) but the field is WAAAAYYYYYY over rated as a playing surface, its not any better than Haysi's. Clintwood is a stadium; good seating and a very, very nice field!

We might not have the best stadium, but our field @ Virginia High has got to be the best to play on and look at.

I'm mixed about Virginia High's field. Battle has the same field now and while they're really good looking, after watching games on both fields, it seems like it's a lot harder to play in the rain than on regular grass. We finally got our field filled in...no more bald spots, lol.

Cool, too bad we won't get to see it until next year. Always liked going to the "Battle Field" though, lots of good memories of us winning up there. ;) (just messin' with ya) Seriously though, I do enjoy going up there, never had the slightest bad experience.

Cool, too bad we won't get to see it until next year. Always liked going to the "Battle Field" though, lots of good memories of us winning up there. ;) (just messin' with ya) Seriously though, I do enjoy going up there, never had the slightest bad experience.

No bad experiences? You must not have used the mens restroom at the end of the lower field house then :D

happy valley tenn, had great food, excellent fans, just gotta say, me and wife went to consession stand, asked for a chilli bun, and the lady, who was well into her 60s, replied "whats that" and i told her, it was a hot dog without wiener, she replied, in all the years she had fixed or served hot dogs, our was the first she had ever served!!!

my opinion of the best place to play and the coolest fans would be at mitchell stadium with GRAHAM and beaver fans at the game, cannot beat the atmosphere and with the fan area in the parking lot all i can say is you need to be there.

Gotta agree with you there. It's more often than not you see Graham and Beaver fans tailgating together instead of separately. Of course, once the game starts, we all go our separate ways for a few hours.

I always enjoyed playing at Riggs Stadium. There just something about getting your forearm cut open by bolts and sparkplugs that are lying randomly on the field.. and not to mention that big flat rock around the 20 yard line. OUCH!

Everyone in this area should make the trip over to Hurley and watch a game at "The Cliff" while you still can...you can say what you want about Hurley and its fans, they are not known to roll out the red carpet for the visitors or anything like that...but, it's just something you need to experience and it'll give you a lot of appreciation for a small town that loves it's team.

Gate City in a good year is another trip everyone should make. The Stone Castle in Bristol...Clintwood...Graham/Beaver...just a few off the top of my head.

has to be holton. they tailgate in the parking lot. they have stands set up to sell stuff. and the best thing is peanut man in the bleachers selling pnuts

And they have enough visiting bleachers for two small families.

Best High School Stadiums In The Area ...

1. Mitchell Stadium (Graham/Bluefield)

2. Salem Stadium (Salem)

3. Pulaski County (Dublin)

4. William Fleming (Roanoke)

5. Patrick Henry (Roanoke)

6. Legion Field (Gate City)

7. Ernie Hicks Stadium (Richlands)

8. Eastern Montgomery (Shawsville)

Edited by starcityfootballfan

My favorite place to go is Clinchport. Why you may ask do I enjoy a ride to the cow pasture? Because this big 'ol boy loves to eat and the Eagle's nest is the bomb :) Actually liked going to Coeburn as well-nice seating and good hotdogs. Gate City being the worst (again because I love to eat). My buddy from there tried to warn me about the hotdogs,but I had to get ballsy-black tar chili that you could patch a radiator with. I truly hope that has changed :)