Best coach ever from SWVa

com74bsslc

Vaught is a pos coach and doesn't even deserve to be in this discussion. period. Anyone who would tell a bunch of high school kids to purposely try to "take out" another high school kids knees just to win a game is a total low life and has no business on the field.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then it's an idiotic rubric.

I mean, the thread is "Best Coach Ever from SWVA". I'm not just imagining this, am I? It makes me gnash my teeth to do this AGAIN, but it's absurd to have "Position X" as the title to a thread and have "Position X, IF Y" as the measure. And that's before we debate whether me posting a picture of Ira Glynn Carlock, Sr. counts as everyone "seeing" him. See, I can play that game, too.

This is a huge "C'Mon, Man!" discussion.

Might as well have titled it "Best Coach Ever from SWVA Who Eats Pancakes Every Tuesday Morning Just After Downing a Shot of Cognac before Smoking a Cigar on the Way to School". Or "Best Coach Ever from SWVA Who Owns the Entire My Pretty Little Ponies Collection"

Maybe if you would have read the opening post before posting yourself you wouldnt have this problem and your panties wouldnt be so bunched up right now! You made an assumption and a statement without doing the proper research, you jumped in on a conversation in the middle without knowing what it was even about. IF YOURE GONNA POST ON A THREAD AND RUN YOUR MOUTH AT OTHER PEOPLE THEN READ THE D@M^ THING FIRST!

Using your logic any list you make is worthless because you havent seen James Colley or Rick Mullins and you didnt make the attempt to see Bobby Meade or Tom Turner. All have coached games at Honaker so you had a chance to see them closer to home. Maybe im wrong but you still havent posted a list, you are just bashing others lists. So at this point, in this thread, you are nothing more than a troll!

Should the title of the thread have been different, yes. Is it a big deal and a good reason to knock someone elses list, no.

ghs73 - I personally never saw Carlock coach because I was busy watching my friends/exteammates play at Haysi. I really really wanted to catch an Appy Game when they were still being coached by Turner and never went(still regret that). I also wanted to see Richlands play because the richlands guys are always talking about the atmosphere over there, I did catch them play PV a few years ago at Bullett Park but I really want to see them at home. Also want to catch a Graham/Bluefield game but still havent.

Edited by redtiger

Guys i really enjoy reading this thread. So here is my 2 cents It seems to be that most everyone is basing good coaching on state titles and wins so based on that here is my list.

1. Tom Turner- won with a small school and was inspiring to young men that were less talented

2. Ralph Cummins

3. Harry Fyre

4. Riggs

5. Phil Robbins more state titles but more talent, dont sell him short though cause he still won the big games

6. Glenn Carlock

7. Paul Wheeler has won everywhere he has been

8. Rick Mullins best there is now

9.James Colley no state titles but may not be anyone better at calling offense

10. Dennis Vaught- Could have been the best of all time but off the field troubles puts him here.

I would like to see alist of top coaches that has been at schools with less talent or small in numbers. I think some of the best coaching jobs are by guys at schols that dont win much.

Vaught is a pos coach and doesn't even deserve to be in this discussion. period. Anyone who would tell a bunch of high school kids to purposely try to "take out" another high school kids knees just to win a game is a total low life and has no business on the field.

I agree whole heartedly... I had the displeasure of meeting his arrogant arse..

Edited by futbolking

Phil Robbins just over 300

Colley, Cummins, Colobro, Ragsdale, Turner, Fry, Willis White(Ft Chiswell, PH-R, Salem) and Jim Hickman(Pulaski, Northside) are all over 200

all 9 of those are in the top 32. Only Colley is still active

Might as well have titled it "Best Coach Ever from SWVA Who Eats Pancakes Every Tuesday Morning Just After Downing a Shot of Cognac before Smoking a Cigar on the Way to School".

I won that award in 2000....

LOL...Turner could coach circles around Phil Robbins. This list if we're talking SWVA shouldnt include Greg Mance or Jimbo Adams...or Mullins from Clintwood. Not with Jim Riggs,Tom Turner, Harry Fry, Ralph Cummings, Nick Colobro, Lineburg, White, Carlock. Mullins has won 1 state title, Mance-1, Adams-0. They're having great careers but c'mon. No disrespect intended but you're talking legends and they're not on that level at this point.

I played for Turner and played against Adams, Robbins and Colobro. Tom Turner took lower numbers and often times less talent....and either beat those teams or close to it. He was included in every male state championship at Appalachia High school. 2 playing in 1971(football/basketball) and coached the dawgs to state titles in 1989, 1992,1994,1996 and 1997. He was also state runner up in 1980?, 1993 and 2002. His team made the D1 semifinal in 1991, 1995 and 2001. Thats with a roster of about 30-35 kids per year. In 1997 he beat the best Gate City team they've put on the field at Legion Field *Jake Houseright, Chad Beasley*, he defeated a Lee High team that played in the D4 semifinals*Eric Satterfield* and came a blown call in the 4th quarter away from beating the best Powell Valley team ever*Julius Jones*. Just a history lesson for these young uns.

And came a blown call in the 4th quarter away from beating the best Powell Valley team ever*Julius Jones*. Just a history lesson for these young uns.

So I guess you are one of those "the ball hit the ground" folks. huh?...lol If you played on an Appy team that faced an Adams coached Burton team, you came along late enough to explain the inaccuracies of your post.

I think Tom and Phil are the two best coaches SWVA has seen. But, going back to 1980, how many times did Tom beat the Vikings? (give ya a hint, you can count 'em on one hand) Even when he had the advantage in personnel, he usually lost that one. (Powell Valley never won a State Title in a year they lost to Appy....and out of Appy's 5 titles under Turner, they only beat PV 2 of those years)

Edited by sup_rbeast

Out of Appys state titles with Turner coaching, how many times did PV win the title in D2? 3 or 4? I would say it was very rare Turner had the advantage over Robbins in personnel.

PV won it 4 times out of those 5 years...but in 1992 and 1994 Appalachia had better personnel hands down. Actually, Tom had more "mature" talent on the field in 1980, 1981, 1984, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, and 2002...and his record in those games was 6-3-1. Turner was a great coach and could get a lot out of his players, but Robbins knew how to better manage his personnel. Robbins wasn't the greatest play caller in the heat of the moment, but a player was NEVER unprepared for something the other team did on Friday because Robbins had already showed it on the practice field Monday through Thursday. Many folks don't like Phil, but you have to give the devil his due. His off season program, game planning and weekly regimen was second to none...and that's where the titles he won were won.

Edited by sup_rbeast

Just asking because I never played against or watched Pennington back in the day but wasn't Don Williams a pretty good coach? I remember them playing Garden back in the 80's before Pennington closed and those were usually hard fought games. I know when they merged all those Lee County schools he got the job and was the last coach to have them(Lee High) respectable and in the playoffs. What year was that 96 or 97?

PV won it 4 times out of those 5 years...but in 1992 and 1994 Appalachia had better personnel hands down. Actually, Tom had more "mature" talent on the field in 1980, 1981, 1984, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, and 2002...and his record in those games was 6-3-1. Turner was a great coach and could get a lot out of his players, but Robbins knew how to better manage his personnel. Robbins wasn't the greatest play caller in the heat of the moment, but a player was NEVER unprepared for something the other team did on Friday because Robbins had already showed it on the practice field Monday through Thursday. Many folks don't like Phil, but you have to give the devil his due. His off season program, game planning and weekly regimen was second to none...and that's where the titles he won were won.

Phil,to the best of my knowledge,only praised two coaches in public and that was Tom Turner and Steve Ragsdale. I figure they must be good for that arrogant dick to say that out loud.LOL

Just asking because I never played against or watched Pennington back in the day but wasn't Don Williams a pretty good coach? I remember them playing Garden back in the 80's before Pennington closed and those were usually hard fought games. I know when they merged all those Lee County schools he got the job and was the last coach to have them(Lee High) respectable and in the playoffs. What year was that 96 or 97?

Don Williams was a heck of a coach...and a great motivator. Pennington had just really turned the corner in the 2-3 years prior to the opening of Lee High. In 1990, he guided Lee to the Division 4 Title Game where they were defeated by Tabb.

Rowe belongs on a list.... Made Grundy, well Grundy for lack of a better term.... 2 decades and for atleast the better part of the mid 90's through 2000's Grundy was serving beat downs to most...

I am not saying Compton didn't learn from Carlock, but whoever said everything he knows is from someone else is off base...

I have the utmost respcet for Compton as a D coordinator he is the personification of Bud Foster at the High School Level.... Loyal and could have went or go somewhere else and be a head coach and enjoy success...

Baskin Robbins is up there, so is Colley, Rowe, Turner, I want to see the young guys sustain their success and I have a problem with "Super" teams of transfers for all star teams it's like the HEAT they're champs, but might as well * it for me.

Don Williams was a heck of a coach...and a great motivator. Pennington had just really turned the corner in the 2-3 years prior to the opening of Lee High. In 1990, he guided Lee to the Division 4 Title Game where they were defeated by Tabb.

What ever happen to the coach at Jonesville whose team won the state title in their last year. I don't remember his name, just the team because they went in the playoffs at 5-5 and won the state title. You couldn't write a better send off for a program.

What ever happen to the coach at Jonesville whose team won the state title in their last year. I don't remember his name, just the team because they went in the playoffs at 5-5 and won the state title. You couldn't write a better send off for a program.

Not sure what happened to him and I can't remember his name...that Jonesville team played great D in the playoffs that year, and their fullback was nearly unstoppable in the Final.

It is only proper that state championships seem to be the most prominent criterion for coaching success. One has to remember that from '46 to '70 Virginia had no state title games- except in 1-1A. A lot of the older SWVA coaches would have really done well if they could have had the chance to do so on a state level. When I was in high school a district title was all you could shoot for- things have changed. A district title is just a rest stop on the road to the playoffs for a lot of the kids.

Bradley at Graham was a pretty good coach in my day- so was Dave Rider at Tazewell-Elizabethton

I am not saying Compton didn't learn from Carlock, but whoever said everything he knows is from someone else is off base...

i don't think they meant "everything" in that sense...i took it as a "chip off the block" kinda thing...from the same vein/style.

I can't count how many times I've seen Compton's defense bail out the offense over the years...many, many times forcing a fumble or getting an INT when it was a must...or making a tough stand to get the ball back when needed....especially after some crazy play calling put them in a deep hole to begin with.