Word is... (Part II)

GMan

Funny you should say that when officials from your school have said privately they are trying to get away from playing Richlands in the regular season to build confidence. I think it is obvious their building false sense of security playing smaller schools. Also, apparently you guys never wore any "big boy" pants in the Southwest District. Have a nice day

Ps: This all stems back to the behavior displayed by your team, coach, and fans when our small school took on your larger school this year in the benefit game.

Would you please explain what was wrong with our behavior? I was at the game and we beat you guys fair and sqaure and I saw no bad behavior by the team, coaches, or fans.

If you do some research and realize that in the new Piedmont, a school of over 2,000 is playing in the same distrcit as schools with 600. Your points are non-valid and the fact that you already play them makes your argument even less valid.

This. +1,000. You already play every year. So what changes? The fact that you can't "take your ball and go home" anymore?

What's the big deal with Marion joining the Hogo? They have Chilhowie, Northwood, Rural Retreat and GW on the schedule currently and have played PH off and on in the past. The only school i don't remember them playing in football in the past, other than benefit games, is Holston. Basically their non-district games now become district games.

What's the big deal with Marion joining the Hogo? They have Chilhowie, Northwood, Rural Retreat and GW on the schedule currently and have played PH off and on in the past. The only school i don't remember them playing in football in the past, other than benefit games, is Holston. Basically their non-district games now become district games.

This is exactly what I've been saying all along...... You obviously want to play them...because they're on your schedule....Why wouldn't you want them in the district?? They're in a larger classification come playoff time anyway.... Makes absolutely no sense to be opposed to them coming in. Marion is not a large school, by any means. They currently have single A enrollment....

Just a thought, but if Graham and Grundy decided to rejoin, you'd basically have the old SWD from the mid to late 80s:

Tazewell, Richlands, Graham, Grundy and Lebanon.

Plus Abingdon (although it might be easier to just move AHS to the CMD).

From what I have heard ... the folks at Graham are very content being in the MED. And, the MED is very content on having Graham as its newest member. Win situation for both! The MED (Galax, Grayson County, Fort Chiswell) has steadily, and finally, gained much more respect in football among the single A ranks. Graham's timing could not have been better. A good friend of mine, that resides in and follows Galax football, told me that the MED receives much more publicity since Graham has joined. That is a win situation for ALL the MED schools!

Does anyone know the enrollment discrepancy between the largest and smallest Hogo schools?

Smallest is Northwood with 261 students

Largest is George Wythe with 451 students

Marion has 695 students

These are from the March 31, 2012 Dept. of Ed. numbers

From what I have heard ... the folks at Graham are very content being in the MED. And, the MED is very content on having Graham as its newest member. Win situation for both! The MED (Galax, Grayson County, Fort Chiswell) has steadily, and finally, gained much more respect in football among the single A ranks. Graham's timing could not have been better. A good friend of mine, that resides in and follows Galax football, told me that the MED receives much more publicity since Graham has joined. That is a win situation for ALL the MED schools!

Graham has made a commitment to the MED and I expect them to stay for a while. It's a great district for all sports.

From 1988 (1st year of Grayson County High School) until 2010, the MED was arguably the worst football district in Virginia. Grayson dominated in terms of district championships but would get destroyed as soon as playoff time rolled around. The 1991-92 season at Grayson, the football team was 9-1 loosing to North Buncombe NC and beat Lee coming off a Division 4 state championship loss the year before. They played Lebanon in the second round of regionals and the game was never competitive. The following year, another 9-1 season led to another opening round loss in regional play. During my brothers playing days at Grayson (94-98), they were 5-5 three straight seasons and 2-8 another, winning the MED two of the three 5-5 years.

Not only has Graham added notoriety to the MED, it has forced the other schools who take athletics seriously to raise the bar. Galax has made a complete overhaul of its athletic department since Mr. Bill Sturgill has taken over as superintendent of schools and the entire community has bought in. It is exciting to see given the fact that this has never been the norm for this area. Galax has new coaching staffs for volleyball, football, baseball, girls basketball, wrestling and boys and girls soccer since the beginning of the 2009-2010 school year.

Like I said, complete overhaul and the results are starting to show. Every sport at Galax with the exception of cross country and girls soccer qualified for state competition last school year.

unless made to move by vhsl at some point.

Yeah, the VHSL likes to make the school's decisions for them.

The VHSL had tried for many years to put Graham in the MED...they finally did once Graham decided to drop to Class A, don't think they'll change their minds now...

Which half???

The part about the MED thanking its lucky stars that it got Graham, and being doubly happy that the administration isn't in a rush to move. Part of me can't blame the administration: when you're guaranteed two district wins in darn near every sport in perpetuity, why move?

The people I know see being in the MED as a matter of necessity, and are pretty miffed about Graham's position in the upcoming rekajiggering.

Edited by UVAObserver

The part about the MED thanking its lucky stars that it got Graham, and being doubly happy that the administration isn't in a rush to move. Part of me can't blame the administration: when you're guaranteed two district wins in darn near every sport in perpetuity, why move?

The people I know see being in the MED as a matter of necessity, and are pretty miffed about Graham's position in the upcoming rekajiggering.

Interesting, what is it that they do not like about the upcoming "rekajiggering?" Great word by the way!

Edited by starcityfootballfan

This is exactly what I've been saying all along...... You obviously want to play them...because they're on your schedule....Why wouldn't you want them in the district?? They're in a larger classification come playoff time anyway.... Makes absolutely no sense to be opposed to them coming in. Marion is not a large school, by any means. They currently have single A enrollment....

But chances are that they will win the district every year. For me it would I wouldn't care that you wouldn't have to play them in the playoffs. I would just want a chance to win the district. That's just me though.