Horses and Bayonets

Ryan4VT

I hate politics and such. But in watching the debate tonight, when I heard Obama say this, I literally spit my Mtn. Dew all over my tv screen. Funniest thing I've ever seen.

What did you guys think?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a good line but the sad part is, bayonets are still in use in the military. I have a friend who posted some stuff about it on FB.

Yes ,heard the same thing...maybe the president needs more knowledge of our military diversity!

It was a good line but the sad part is, bayonets are still in use in the military. I have a friend who posted some stuff about it on FB.

He wasn't saying we don't have them. He was saying we don't has "as many" as we used to.

i thought that made him look like a message board troll...it's one thing to trade punches, but i thought that was sort of talking down to Romney and made Obama look kinda bad. Just my opinion.

i thought that made him look like a message board troll...it's one thing to trade punches, but i thought that was sort of talking down to Romney and made Obama look kinda bad. Just my opinion.

Agreed. Obama sounded petty and snarky. Obama appeared to be on the defensive all night. It was almost like a role reversal. In my opinion, Romney appeared more like the incumbent president than Obama.

It was an idiotic comment that set the tone for the entire evening. Obama was certainly more aggressive, but it seemed like he was more trying to make snide attacks at Romney than he was trying to have a foreign policy debate. Romney was very cool, collected, and wisely did not bite on Obama's snarky remarks.

I know CNN and others don't agree, but I feel like Romney's performance was clearly superior to Obama's.

It was an idiotic comment that set the tone for the entire evening. Obama was certainly more aggressive, but it seemed like he was more trying to make snide attacks at Romney than he was trying to have a foreign policy debate. Romney was very cool, collected, and wisely did not bite on Obama's snarky remarks.

I know CNN and others don't agree, but I feel like Romney's performance was clearly superior to Obama's.

I flipped over to MSNBC for a few short seconds to see what the far left media was saying, and they were almost giddy in their assessment of the debate, claiming Obama won the debate hands down. Rachel Maddow is the most disgusting, biased news anchor I have ever seen. At one point they were interviewing a Republican congressman in the spin room in an attempt to keep things "balanced" (I kid), and when they came back to Maddow, her comment was, "Did you notice John Kerry standing behind them like a Hawk about to devour a mouse".

I flipped over to MSNBC for a few short seconds to see what the far left media was saying, and they were almost giddy in their assessment of the debate, claiming Obama won the debate hands down. Rachel Maddow is the most disgusting, biased news anchor I have ever seen. At one point they were interviewing a Republican congressman in the spin room in an attempt to keep things "balanced" (I kid), and when they came back to Maddow, her comment was, "Did you notice John Kerry standing behind them like a Hawk about to devour a mouse".

That doesn't surprise me at all. MSNBC is the equivalent of a Democrat SuperPAC. Did you see where Chris Matthews says that Romney supporters are fueled by racial superiority?

As stated...I'm not a fan of Obama........ I even tried to vote for Romney. But how can I vote for someone that I want to punch in the face everytime I listen to them talk. I always vote.....until this year. This is the best we have??

With that being said....as a nuetral viewer, Obama won this debate just as handily as Romney won the first debate.

Marines are still trained to use bayonets but the Army has discontinued their service. Obama did say "fewer horses and bayonets". You really have to listen to what politicians actually say and not assume they say what you want to here.

With that being said....as a nuetral viewer, Obama won this debate just as handily as Romney won the first debate.

Snark alone doesn't win debates, IMO.

I don't think Obama's performance in this debate was even close to his performance in the 2nd debate. I think it was closer to his first. Obama just looked like he'd rather be anywhere else than on that stage, whereas it was very clear from Romney's body language that he had practiced a lot for the evening.

Edited by UVAObserver

That doesn't surprise me at all. MSNBC is the equivalent of a Democrat SuperPAC. Did you see where Chris Matthews says that Romney supporters are fueled by racial superiority?

I didn't see that, but it doesn't surprise me. Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow are liberal clones.

Apparently some of them are...

They didn`t teach him that in Kenya.

You really have to listen to what politicians actually say and not assume they say what you want to here.

But...but...he's a Muslim from Kenya!

It's so funny to me that myself and most liberals were able to accept the defeat in the first debate...for some reason you all (Not you, BIGkid) just can not admit that your guy got dominated in the last 2 debates.

But...but...he's a Muslim from Kenya!

It's so funny to me that myself and most liberals were able to accept the defeat in the first debate...for some reason you all (Not you, BIGkid) just can not admit that your guy got dominated in the last 2 debates.

I thought Romney held his own against Obama and Candy in the second. We all saw her showing her bias. I thought last night`s was pretty even although I thought Obama did a good job being on the defensive from the start.

As stated...I'm not a fan of Obama........ I even tried to vote for Romney. But how can I vote for someone that I want to punch in the face everytime I listen to them talk. I always vote.....until this year. This is the best we have??

I think I'd score it as a draw, with both candidates meeting their strategic objectives. Obama effectively underscored the fact that the whole world has not gone to hell under his watch, and Romney projected an air of executive professionalism.

Not a game changer in the cosmic scheme of things at all. Still looks like the race will come down to Ohio.

Oh, and I thought the "horses and bayonets" line was hilarious. But Obama lost the value of that humor when he went on with his ridiculous lecture about submarines and aircraft carriers. In a few short seconds he went from witty to petty.

Edited by RichlandsAlum

I thought Romney held his own against Obama and Candy in the second. We all saw her showing her bias. I thought last night`s was pretty even although I thought Obama did a good job being on the defensive from the start.

Please tell me how he was against both Obama and the moderator? You watch WAY too much Fox News.

Candy made one remark about Obama calling the attack in Libya a terrorist attack because Rmoney wouldn't shut up about it, and then she immediately went on to say that the administration also took 2 weeks to get their facts straight.

When Romney was aggressive in the first debate he was called presidential and confident, but when Obama is aggressive he is on the defensive. You guys make me laugh.

I think I'd score it as a draw, with both candidates meeting their strategic objectives. Obama effectively underscored the fact that the whole world has not gone to hell under his watch, and Romney projected an air of executive professionalism.

Not a game changer in the cosmic scheme of things at all. Still looks like the race will come down to Ohio.

Oh, and I thought the "horses and bayonets" line was hilarious. But Obama lost the value of that humor when he went on with his ridiculous lecture about submarines and aircraft carriers. In a few short seconds he went from witty to petty.

Idiotic comments like the one Romney made about the size of the Navy and Air Force deserve replies that would be suitable for a five year old. Aside from the fact that what he said was false, he also ignored the fact that we live in a completely different time as far as military strategy and technology goes.

Apparently some of them are...

It wasn't a "oh, look at that WVU student, how many more are like him?" statement, which holds a drop or two of water. It was a categorical slam. I legitimately fear for Matthews's life if Ohio goes red on Election Day. He may damn well off himself.

Please tell me how he was against both Obama and the moderator?

You DID watch that debate, right? You did see the verbal sparring match between Romney and Candy, right? You did see where, the morning after, Candy publicly admitted that she was wrong on multiple issues, right? That moderator was as unbiased as Karl Hess at a Dook game.

Edited by UVAObserver

Last nights debate wasn't that important. It was a foreign policy debate and Romney played it very smartly. He acted calm throughout even when Obama was trying to pick fights. Romney knows that the economy is why people will vote. He didn't have to come out and do anything spectacular on foreign policy.

Also, did you guys see all of these death threats from Obama supporters against Romney. Obviously, the liberal media doesn't care because it's Romney being threatened.

That's the underrated part of the whole exchange. Obama didn't have the savoir faire to recognize that he should've changed gears after making the zinger. He saw it as an opportunity to unload some of his faux-knowledge (the lay term for this is a nine-letter word that starts with "d"). I think it underlies the appearance that Obama just doesn't have a very good sense of the moment most of the time. Unlike his opponent.

Edited by UVAObserver

Idiotic comments like the one Romney made about the size of the Navy and Air Force deserve replies that would be suitable for a five year old. Aside from the fact that what he said was false, he also ignored the fact that we live in a completely different time as far as military strategy and technology goes.

If Obama had stopped with the "horses and bayonets" line, I think it could have been a devastating witticism along the lines of Reagan's "youth and inexperience" barb. My observation is simply that he didn't get as much mileage out of the quip as he should have -- mainly because he couldn't contain his obvious anger.

Reasonable minds will differ, but I don't think Romney is out of touch with the technological aspects of military strategy any more than I think that Obama is out to bankrupt the military. Although if one wants to zero in on the transcript from last night, then the President should be pressed to explain the comment that sequestration "will not happen."

That's the underrated part of the whole exchange. Obama didn't have the savoir faire to recognize that he should've changed gears after making the zinger. He saw it as an opportunity to unload some of his faux-knowledge (the lay term for this is a nine-letter word that starts with "d"). I think it underlies the appearance that Obama just doesn't have a very good sense of the moment most of the time. Unlike his opponent.

Yep.

It was probably a nice moment for Democrat apologists, but it didn't have the strategic value that it should have mainly for the reason you stated.

Bill Clinton certainly would've known better, IMO.