gun control buzz already going...

Lance

not even a list of victims out yet and already the politicians are starting about the gun control laws. These people sit around waiting for something to happen so they can seize the moment for whatever agenda or political gain they can find.

It's sad that this happened, anyone who would hurt much less kill children is less than human scum....but its my opinion that if you are going to kill someone, and have that in your mind...then you will find a way to do it...drive a car through a crowd so we ban cars...beat someone with a bat so we ban baseball...what do you do?

I can just tell that with what i've seen already and if you heard the presidents speech...there is going to be a bigger issue with this one.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I layed down the hammer to one of my "friends" who started blasting the GOP and its gun-control policies. This isn't a left-right issue. This is a "fix the damned thing" issue. Forget politics. Time to find a solution. The Northeast has the strictest gun control laws in the nation, and it's clearly not working.

We're going to have to barricade schools and government offices to prevent this from happening. I may not be the best on "how" to do this, but that's the only solution I can find that makes any sense.

Even if the government banned all guns (or potential weapons of any kind), it's not like criminals follow the law. Many drugs (and weapons) are illegal in this country, yet still find their way in any place at any time. Maybe it's a problem that just can't be fixed, but whatever the cure, what we're currently doing isn't working.

Right, it seems like any potential plan we could put in place has vast flaws. Stricter gun control? Criminals will get guns anyway. Load schools and government buildings with police force? Police forces are scraping for money without those added costs. Educate the population about signs of mental illness? Signs of mental illness are incredibly variable at best, unknown at worst. Debunk the stigma surrounding mental health, and visiting mental health professionals? Change like that is one or two generations away, if we start this minute.

How do we keep guns out of the hands of people who intend harm? That's the age-old question...

UVAObserver hit the nail on the head. We need to be active. No more of the "that'd never happen here" mentality because I'm sure that's exactly what those people in Connecticut have said before.

As someone who works in a school, we need a better plan. A school resource officer sitting in his office with his feet propped up all day isnt the solution. I think all schools should have metal detectors at every entrance and atleast 2 armed officers on campus during school hours. It may stretch some county/city budgets but it's better than the alternative.

UVAObserver hit the nail on the head. We need to be active. No more of the "that'd never happen here" mentality because I'm sure that's exactly what those people in Connecticut have said before.

As someone who works in a school, we need a better plan. A school resource officer sitting in his office with his feet propped up all day isnt the solution. I think all schools should have metal detectors at every entrance and atleast 2 armed officers on campus during school hours. It may stretch some county/city budgets but it's better than the alternative.

I agree with this post 100%. We do need armed officers in our schools and metal detectors. This may save some lives.

An armed officer in the schools would help. Imo we need to make sure every visitor has to check in at the office and by check in I mean pass thru the office before they are allowed entrance into the school.

We need to make sure everyone is prepared for this type of situatuion. Prepared not scared.

Like everyone has said, gun control isint the issue here.

Edited by redtiger

The "let no crisis go to waste " crew will be out in full force. In the wake of a tragedy of this proportions our problem is further magnified by the willingness of so many to politicize this tragedy. As a nation we are SICK! Our culture has descended so far, I don't know if it can be saved! As Lance said in the initial post some see this as an opportunity to promote an agenda. May God have mercy on such fools!

Edited by bucfan64

My take.

it depends on what you are trying to fix.

If its the school issue and security. That's not very hard to fix. Visitors don't really need to be in the school where the kids are. Have a security zone set up outside of where the kids are located and isolate the visitors. If you need to pick up a kid then have someone bring the kid to the parent. I have two kids in school and I really have no business at the school other than picking them up and dropping them off. If you establish an exclusion zone you protect the kids a lot better than you do by letting people get close to them.

Metal detectors and all that is a great idea, but if i'm coming in to a school to go on a rampage I walk straight through that and shoot the cop or whoever is at the door on my way in...you really have to consider a lot of things and there are a lot more logistics involved with true security vs. the appearance of security being a deterrent.

I had a friend who worked in schools and he said he got stuck on the team that would respond to these types of calls. He said he wasn't real thrilled that he may have to run down a hall with an active shooter in the building without the means of protection.

I think there should be x number of people in the building with body armor and access to secured weapons. When this goes down, there is only one way to handle these individuals. If someone on the faculty doesn't feel comfortable, then they don't have to have access.

I also agree with the idea that all people should enter into a secure area. Too many school offices are beyond other areas of access.

I am going to start using the facts on the gun control people. 200 million plus guns and something like 8500 deaths a year. Take out those that are suicides and I bet you can't even calculate the percentage.

Information coming out now says that Lanza tried to purchase guns earlier in the week, but was denied by CT's strict permitting laws. So...he just stole his mother's guns and did it anyway.

Case in point, gun regulations did NOTHING to prevent this. Don't let the media or the left shove the 'gun control' argument down your throat. This is a 'schools aren't nearly safe enough' and a 'mental health treatment in the U.S. is fatally flawed' issue.

The people who are politicizing this on Facebook have no sincere sorrow for the victims if they are this quick to start a political argument.

Much like some people were politicizing the tragedy in Benghazi before the smoke even cleared. Idiots will be idiots.

Much like some people were politicizing the tragedy in Benghazi before the smoke even cleared. Idiots will be idiots.

Got a citation for that red herring?

But since you asked, it ended up that the Administration told bald-faced lies to cover the true stories up (not over a movie no one watched, but preplanned, etc.). Which completely validated all the politicalization.

Was at Gander Mountain in Roanoke today...I counted 27 people waiting in line to buy guns...and you couldn't get near the display cases because people were two and three deep. If you've never been there, their display cases are about 200' or so in length...and that may be a conservative estimate. The only thing I bought was an extra mag for my CC gun.

Also, yesterday afternoon, my wife, who does have her CC permit but has never carried, said something I never thought I'd hear her say..."things like this make me think I should start carrying something because you never know when you might need it..."

Also, yesterday afternoon, my wife, who does have her CC permit but has never carried, said something I never thought I'd hear her say..."things like this make me think I should start carrying something because you never know when you might need it..."

That should be the thought of AMERICANS, not "let me give up my freedom so someone else can take care of me".

Remember people this is the land of the free and the home of the brave. We need to start acting like it.

This tragedy shouldnt go to waste, we should learn from it and try to prevent things like this from happening again.

Edited by redtiger

I think they should pull every violent video game off of the shelves, NOW. I've witnessed how children get obsessed with the games. Some children spend all of their free time in front of a computer, TV screen, etc. They cannot decipher from reality and fantacy any longer. I grew up in the make love, not war times and this is truly unspeakable of what happened in CT. You cry, you pray and wonder if anything will be done.

Got a citation for that red herring?

But since you asked, it ended up that the Administration told bald-faced lies to cover the true stories up (not over a movie no one watched, but preplanned, etc.). Which completely validated all the politicalization.

Actually, I didn't ask anything. I only pointed out that it is dumb and insensitive to politicize any tragedy, not only when it happens to be about gun control.

For the records own several guns and have a CC permit. I am not anti gun. That doesnt mean there shouldn't be a serious debate about gun violence in this country; however, in the aftermath of a tragic event is not the time.

Why? Because I often disagree with you?

Its stupid to politicize any tragedy, not only when it happens to be something that you disagree with.

#1 No because this has NOTHING to do with Benghazi.

Not to mention that no one on this board was saying anything about Benghazi the day that it happened.

#2 Like UVA said, facts prove that there was a coverup of Benghazi. Here you are getting off the subject and comparing two incidents. You are one sick person.

I think they should pull every violent video game off of the shelves, NOW. I've witnessed how children get obsessed with the games. Some children spend all of their free time in front of a computer, TV screen, etc. They cannot decipher from reality and fantacy any longer.

Its the parents place to seperate fantasy from reality. If the kids dont know the difference its the parents fault. Games are just that, games. If children cant seperate them from reality thats a red flag that there are much deeper issues.