pairings - by my numbers

VHSLhelper

unless the rule was changed this year, the VHSL doesn't care about District c;ships.

If you end up tied with someone, we got us co-champions.

If the Dist. wants to have a tie-breaker to determine who gets the trophy,m they can, but you're still co-champs.

Fort, Galax & Grayson all ended up 4-1, so there's 3 co-champs.

actually one of the teams was graham at 4-1 only loss to galax. graham beat fort, fort beat galax and galax beat graham i think is how it was.

...and it seems someone came to work this morning for the VHSL to have this out so early....

Oh, yeah, they def. get after it pretty early. I don't rem. if it was Ron or Dave (think it was Dave) who said in the post-games show "Coach Manch isn't going to bed tonight until he knows who we're playing next week". Coaches want to start prepping and want to exchange game film on Saturday, or at least make contact to meet on Sunday,. The ADs need to know - some may need to get charter busses, some share stadiums and need to pow-wow on who plays when. Thnankfully, we aren't like other states who 'demand' no Sat. games on the last weekend. When they release the pairings, they've been double-checked and cross-checked, and the dates/times are also released, so, hopefully, they won't have to make any changes, and the first thing published in the papers holds.

Now, if only they follow the rules.

Hudl is incredible!  10x easier than trading film.  and just an fyi to everyone, if you google search a schools highlights you can usually find at least a few hudl highlights. For example "Eastside high school va football highlights" brings up this    http://www.hudl.com/team/57806/highlights/13150037     now its from last season but as a fan its still neat to see the next team your team is gonna play

Great video, thanks sixcat.

The highlights against Giles show just how good this kid is imo. Giles is always athletic and disciplined on defense so to run thru them is really saying something. His play on defense against them is just as impressive. The misdirection of the Singlewing trips a lot of players up, he was able to get thru traffic and find the football. Very, very impressive.

Most coaches arent meeting somewhere to exchange game film anymore.  Most are using hudl or Google Drive and forwarding game film electronically now.

I've watched the hudl highlights of some of the Richlands' players...but they're just short clips...not showing anything in its entirety.

Most hudl sites are password protected ...however, one undefeated team in LA decided to "obtain"  their upcoming opponent's protected password...well, let's just say...the deed was eventually discovered and repercussions followed.

Louisiana HS football coach charged after accessing opponent's Hudl.com site

“We’ve have never dealt with anything like this before,†LHSAA executive director Kenny Henderson told The Times on Tuesday.

According to reports, Fournier used a South LaFourche player to secure the Tarpons’ username and password and spent roughly 12 hours on the Hudl.com site viewing practices.

http://www.usatodayhss.com/news/article/destrehan-football-forfeits-win-after-cheating-incident

I could see him doing very well at Safety/Rover. Seems to have a natural nose for the football. I could also see him putting on 25lbs and being a very good Fullback.

and your right barondawg, he's the "star" of the team and he's lining up in the slot and crack blocking or at Fullback and lead blocking. It says a lot about the young man.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd pick Galax to beat Haysi right now. Galax is just smashing everyone right now. Peoples is the best player in SWVA.

In 2A, I think anyone could beat anyone from 2-16. Lots of parity, no true dominant team aside from Giles.

Best rb?  yes I think so.  Best player?  I'd argue that based on what I saw yesterday.  In my opinion at 100 percent Jeffrey Bowen is the best football player in SWVA.

In my opinion, take Steven Peoples out of the Galax lineup, they don't even make the playoffs.  They may only win 3 games this season, Bland, Narrows and Floyd.  

Haysi would still be a solid team without Bowen!  Their balance is overwhelming.  #3 and #34 are solid high school players as are several others.  Bowen is a stud, no doubt about that but he is not a division 1 talent, Peoples is.

Taking nothing away from Peoples at all, he was everything that was advertised and then some.  He does have a real nice offensive line though and an underrated supporting cast, even though some of them were under utilized from what I could tell. 

Haysi does have some other really good players I agree and was no doubt the better team overall, but Bowen was about 80 percent at best yesterday and played lights out both sides of the ball the entire game.  Anybody who saw Haysi's 1st round playoff game without him will attest to how much he was missed.  Completely different team without him on the field on offense. 

I'm not real sure about your division 1 assessment either.  Sometimes players from small isolated towns slip through the cracks on the recruitment trail.  Their measurables are very similar in terms of production.  Similar in TD's, yards per carry, etc...Peoples had a lot more carries.  Bowen would have went over 3,000 yards had he gotten as many touches.  Their combine type measurables are similar as well...speed, strength, etc.  Peoples has a size advantage but Bowen prob has an overall strength advantage.  I'm sure alot of colleges are trying to catch up on film now that Bowen's name is getting out there a little more.

To me Peoples and Bowen looked about even.  As far as college projections, Peoples is about 5 inches taller than Bowen and that will make the difference in college recruiting imo.

Bowen has the talent but not the size. D1 schools will overlook him. Its not that he isn't good enough, its that they will write him off.  I would say he will wind up somewhere like UVA-W or E&H and could be very successful.   He reminds me of the RB from Richlands that played at E&H a few years back.  Not tall so he dropped below D1.  Bowen is STRONG, quick and as tough as they come.

Haysi is very balanced but they aren't limited to that. They can gain yards and score either way. 

Yeah the point about his height is probably true but I think is vastly overrated in terms of a rb.  He will prob be written off for most positions on defense because of height but should not be for rb.  There are alot of rb's who have success despite being short in stature.  E&H or UVA-Wise would both likely be beside themselves to get Bowen.  It is my understanding that Carson Newman is very interested and to me that would make more sense from a talent standpoint.  I figure somewhere like Appalachian State or Marshall would really like what they saw if they got to take a good look at him.

I totally agree. Imo being of small stature is a benefit for a RB,  shorter RB can get in behind his blockers and make the most of his blocks. And he will always have the leverage advantage(ask anyone who has hit Bowen in the open field).  Like I said Bowen is strong, quick and tough, all wrapped in a compact package. Good vision and INCREDIBLE balance. Perfect RB. I think he could be really successful in the right situation.

Marshall, C-N, or App State would be a good fit imo. Hopefully the kid will get a shot at a school like that, he can make it there if he gets the chance.

I agree redtiger.  If he's given an opportunity by a college like that I believe they will be glad they gave it to him.  If they take a look at his #'s in the weight room I believe he will get one.     Hopefully Tanner O'quinn is getting some looks too.  Blake Branham has came on lately as well.  All 3 of Haysi's Sr's can play in college IMHO.

O'Quinn is solid and could definitely play at the next level. Good size, hands, speed and athleticism.

Branham would be a solid DT. Stocky, strong, tough and difficult to move.

both of them have improved by leaps and bounds since last season. Branham looks like he has slimmed down some and he looks a lot quicker. O'Quinn looked a little overwhelmed last season, he has been rock solid all year this season.

To me Peoples and Bowen looked about even.  As far as college projections, Peoples is about 5 inches taller than Bowen and that will make the difference in college recruiting imo.

Bowen has the talent but not the size. D1 schools will overlook him. Its not that he isn't good enough, its that they will write him off.  I would say he will wind up somewhere like UVA-W or E&H and could be very successful.   He reminds me of the RB from Richlands that played at E&H a few years back.  Not tall so he dropped below D1.  Bowen is STRONG, quick and as tough as they come.

Haysi is very balanced but they aren't limited to that. They can gain yards and score either way. 

I think you maybe thinking about Caleb Jennings that played for the blues and went on to set rushing records at Emory.  he had more heart than any player i have ever seen play !  He was small in stature,  but huge in heart and effort,  was also so quick and had the best balance I have seen.

It seems that Bowman has a huge heart also along with the talent !

A lot of the bigger schools will over look kids like that because they are not 6'1 and 210 or so,  but kids like bowman and Jennings can help D2 and D3 teams  ( and even some smaller D1 )   win a lot of games with their heart,  and work ethic and leadership.  I sure hope he ( bowman ) gets a chance to show what he has at the next level.

Caleb Jennings is who I was thinking of, I just couldnt remember the name.

I never saw Jennings in person, just on TV highlights but him and Bowen look very similar. Short, thick and just a good blend of the traits you want a RB to have. Peoples is about the same just stronger and taller.

Whats most important is that he gets a college education and if his athletic ability helps with that then it doesent matter if its at UVA-W or UVA