Round 2 Updates Thread

Ryan4VT

Back from work.  Talked to my cousin who was at the game.  He said Peoples was his usual self.  He said Galax made too many mistakes and that they were one-dimensional (we all knew that).  He said Haysi was the better team.  Congratulations to Haysi, sounds like the game plan was solid and Bowen played a heck of a game on defense.  Good luck to you guys next week.  

while hangin around the porta john waitin my turn,  lol, some dudes where on the phone discussing how turf was "slowing galax down"

Typical!  Always have to have an excuse.  It can't be because the other team was simply better.

I love this area but the mindset has to change.

while hangin around the porta john waitin my turn,  lol, some dudes where on the phone discussing how turf was "slowing galax down"

Hmmmm,  seems like both teams played on the same field !  You want to go deep into the playoffs and possibly win state,  you better be able to play on any kind of field and be a balanced team.  The deeper you go,  the better the teams,  and the better they are at finding your weakness !

The field was actually in really good shape, its a football field.  middle was tight, packed, tacky mud.  Not at all sloppy. I went down after the game and it wasn't squishy. As good as any high school field in SWVA(other than Honaker and Richlands of course) 

The field didn't slow Peoples down one bit.

I did notice that the Galax players seemed bothered by it, even in warm ups. They had people scraping their cleats off at every opportunity they had.  

Ive seen the field in MUCH worse shape

The field was actually in really good shape, its a football field.  middle was tight, packed, tacky mud.  Not at all sloppy. I went down after the game and it wasn't squishy. As good as any high school field in SWVA(other than Honaker and Richlands of course) 

The field didn't slow Peoples down one bit.

I did notice that the Galax players seemed bothered by it, even in warm ups. They had people scraping their cleats off at every opportunity they had.  

Ive seen the field in MUCH worse shape

The field condition will be a convenient excuse.  Both teams played under the same conditions and the better team won.  Trust me, Galax's field is not any better.

The turf at Richlands and Honaker is really nice and I like it,  but sometimes,  just sometimes,  i miss the grass and dirt field like it was back when I played,  but Richlands always had trouble keeping grass on the middle part of their field no matter how hard they worked on it.

Like some have already said, it's easier to make excuses as to why you lost, than  it is to admit you got beat !

The turf at Richlands and Honaker is really nice and I like it,  but sometimes,  just sometimes,  i miss the grass and dirt field like it was back when I played,  but Richlands always had trouble keeping grass on the middle part of their field no matter how hard they worked on it.

Like some have already said, it's easier to make excuses as to why you lost, then to admit you got beat !

Then you would have loved the field today!  Everyone was dirty but not nasty(no wet socks/underwear). It looked like old school football.  Plastic just cant compare.   That's 1 thing I don't like about our new school, field turf.

When Haysi went to 4 WR sets Galax looked very confused on Defense

one things for sure GALAX  appearently hadn't played anyone who could pass...

Been a sore spot all season.  Glenvar completed 70% of their passes for nearly 300 yards.  Floyd scored all of their points off the pass and gained 95% of their yardage through the air.  Altivista had nearly 300 yards passing.  

Galax hasn't stopped anyone all season through the air.

just to tag on here, idk how many yards he had today but im pretty sure Bowen went over 2,000 today.

over 5,000 yards between the two of them. 

At various times today they meet head on, it was interesting. Peoples is better but Bowen held his own. Bowen had a bigger impact on Defense imo than Peoples did

Some classy posts sixcat.  Saw your friend from Haysi who now lives in Galax at the game today and got to talk to him quite a bit.  It was a very entertaining game.  Enjoyed getting to see Peoples, who is the real deal.  Bowen played very well also.  Two of the top all around football players in the state on the same field today.  Pretty cool.

Like some have already said, it's easier to make excuses as to why you lost, than  it is to admit you got beat !

they had trouble keeping grass on it because some redneck would go out there and plow it up with their truck lol.  I don't know how many times I'd drive by there over the years and look down and be like..."yep! they got it again"...lol...in fact didn't some moron do it to the field turf when they first put it down?

they had trouble keeping grass on it because some redneck would go out there and plow it up with their truck lol. I don't know how many times I'd drive by there over the years and look down and be like..."yep! they got it again"...lol...in fact didn't some moron do it to the field turf when they first put it down?

If I remember correctly, those were tracks from one of the pieces of equipment. Someone thought it was a kid that did doughnuts, but they said it wasn't.

If I remember correctly, those were tracks from one of the pieces of equipment. Someone thought it was a kid that did doughnuts, but they said it wasn't.

might have been, i saw it but dont remember the story.

Lance, I know it happened a couple of times on the old field, or maybe more than a couple actually, but I am pretty sure it hadn't happen on the new field........yet......lol.

Like stated earlier, I believe what you saw on the new field was from the equipment.

Lance, I know it happened a couple of times on the old field, or maybe more than a couple actually, but I am pretty sure it hadn't happen on the new field........yet......lol.

Like stated earlier, I believe what you saw on the new field was from the equipment.

Good picture of Peoples and you can see the field all over him and the player chasing him...LOL  Drill in further on the picture and look at his cleats in this shot.  Sure hate to see him out so soon but they definitely got beat by the better, well-balanced offensive TEAM.  

http://roanoke.com/sports/highschools/2401323-12/haysis-big-plays-beat-galaxs-big-player.html

Galax did depend too heavily on Peoples, but they beat some very good teams by doing that.  They have a very good offensive line and will be a really solid team next year.  I thought the key stat was the Haysi defense holding Peoples to about 7 yards per carry while Bowen was able to average about 10 yards per.  As good as Peoples is, one of the best backs I've ever seen in h.s., Jeffrey Bowen was very, very impressive yesterday and stepped up to the challenge in a big way.