Battle

OLINE77

Wright is coaching them for the rest of the year? So much for people kicking them around like we thought

It'll still be an uphill battle (no pun intended). The talent isn't as strong there as it was the past few years, and they are running a new playbook. With a game this Friday, there's no time to change any of the particulars, and if Wright has to run the spread the rest of the year, he could be out of his comfort zone with playcalling and scheming. 

I ran into Coach Baker last week in Abingdon and he was asking if I was still filming this year and we talked a little about the team. Heck, maybe this is a sign that I should return to filming for Battle too, lol. But seriously, having Wright AND Baker back is great along with Mullins and Briscoe. I'm sure one thing they'll focus on (besides finding a better offense...like the Wing T or some other run heavy or balanced offense) is the defense. Mullins, Briscoe and Baker are all very good defensive coaches and that was one of Battle's strengths the last few years. Should be interesting to watch, even if they are only back temporarily.

Allen Gregoryâ€@Greg_BHCSports12 mins

Talking to steve wright at battle now. Wright said he and rocky baker will serve as co head coaches on a one year interim basis

Allen Gregoryâ€@Greg_BHCSports7 mins

Rocky baker is a former head coach at pound. He will handle the defense for battle#hcfh

What were they running under Lee?  Pass happy spread?

Pass happy, no huddle spread offense......or at least he wanted to. Very few schools in SWVA can run anything like that (I don't know anyone specifically that does, but I can think of some who potentially can with the talent they usually have). I really don't think Battle has ever had the athletes to run that kind of offense. We've always either been run heavy old school or balanced (with a few tricks up the sleeve).

Lee was a bad hire from the get go.  Anyone who knows SWVA football knew that.  There is no excuse for quitting on a group of kids that have put their trust in you  I hate it for the kids b/c they had bought into him but they'll have better leadership the rest of the way.   Those kids have been running the wing T for the last 3 years.  I don't think it'll take to long to put a small version of it back in.    Wright has still been teaching the strength and conditioning program at Battle.  I've heard the off season program wasn't remotely as challenging as the past few years but I'm sure Wright has at least made up for some of it in class.         This team was in a rebuilding mode reguardless but I guarantee that Wright will have them competing their butts off for 4 quarters reguardless of the scoreboard.       Hate this for the kids but they're in better hands now.       I just hope that the administration makes a better hire the next time around.  

I have been told that the administration asked Lee to hire someone to coach defense, and he refused, they then told him he had to or quit and he thusly resigned.

I believe the person that he was being asked to hire was Baker.

All I have go by is hearsay. From what I heard nobody wanted Lee. I don't think he is a good coach but I also believe he wasn't given a fair chance. After the loss last Friday people were ready to boot him. I think he got tired of living in the shadow of Steve Wright. He would of been terminated in 10 more weeks anyways.

This is a truly sad situation for high school athletics. Here you have a large school that was not used to winning for decades, and the school brought in a new coach and that won some games, and went to the payoffs. Heck, in Virginia, just about every school goes to the playoffs now. The coach resigns, and another new coach was hired. The kids and staff worked their butts off all summer I bet, but lost their first game to a neighbor school. The parents wants the new coach's head, because its all his fault because they got the sh&t beat out of them. The principal,who obliviously has no back bone, sides with the parents and hires back the previous coach, and his assistant. The parents get what they want. This situation is pitiful because it shows no character on part the principal or the parents. Not wishing JBS any bad luck, but I hope you guys go 0-10!

Winning is not everything. If I was an assistant coach under the old coach that was kicked out, it would tell them where to shove it! Just my 2 cents worth!

Didnt Briscoe quit Friday

As of yesterday, Briscoe was still there.  Who knows what will happen today though.  In my opinion, there was definitely some dead weight added to the coaching staff this year, but I don't believe that Briscoe is one of them. He's just got to learn to keep his temper in check. I think Coach Wright will make sure that happens from now on.