Richlands Numbers

Nadoball

Nadoball I will give you what I've got the best I can.

Seniors-16 and 5 or 6 start on offense according to River or Asbury playing.

-5 on defense.

Juniors-14

Sophomores-11

Freshmen-7

So in short underclassmen starting on offense is 5 to 6 and 5 to 6 on defense.

loses a game blames it on the underclass men and gate city visitor locker rooms being a microwave. What will they come up with next!

loses a game blames it on the underclass men and gate city visitor locker rooms being a microwave. What will they come up with next!

this......our cleats were legal this time!!!!!!

This x1000000. I wish I could get as much enjoyment out of bashing a school and their fans as much as you guys do with Richlands. Hahaha.

Just shows that we are a program that matters and people worry about playing !  If we were terrible every year ( like some programs )  nobody would care,  but because we do win .......a lot,  we are relevant and people like to talk about us and try to tear you down.

Gate City has dealt with it,  as has Graham, Bluefield, Salem and others.

I will worry when nobody cares enough to say anything about us............good or bad !

8 of 11 starters on defense are underclassmen.  Thrown Chase Collins who splits time at Safety and you have 9.  They have 6 underclassmen starting on offense.  If you play Richlands you want to play them early.  I wouldn't want to play them the 2nd half of the season.

Wait, really???? Tired of getting bashed? Already? Trust me, you develop thick skin and wait for your teams time to come around again.

Never said I was tired of it. Just said I wished I got the enjoyment out of it that y'all do. I love that we get bashed, just means that everyone wants to be us.

I don't believe it was anything you said Bulldog,  What you said is the truth,  Richlands numbers have dropped off over the last several years.  It has for many of the schools here in SWVA.  I know the school my wife teaches at has lost several kids over the last few years.

I sure would like to see the coal industry make a come back,  but even more than that I would love to see some new industries make their way into our area. 

My daughter and her fiance moved to Kansas after law school because the opportunities were much better away from here.  I hate seeing our young ones have to move out of our area for better prospects.

I don't believe it was anything you said Bulldog,  What you said is the truth,  Richlands numbers have dropped off over the last several years.  It has for many of the schools here in SWVA.  I know the school my wife teaches at has lost several kids over the last few years.

I sure would like to see the coal industry make a come back,  but even more than that I would love to see some new industries make their way into our area. 

My daughter and her fiance moved to Kansas after law school because the opportunities were much better away from here.  I hate seeing our young ones have to move out of our area for better prospects.

But to that I have a serious question and I don't intend it as a stab at Richlands either.  What is the size of each class vs how many are on the team?

Couldn't tell ya that stu.  I do know that the school numbers have had a drop over the last few years,  hence our drop in classification,  just like a lot of schools in this part of the state.  Could be just a down year in numbers as far as the football team goes,  or it could be an ongoing thing.  Just have to see how it plays out over the next few years.   I don't think our numbers are bad,   just not what we have had in the past. 

Guys that are now closer to the program that i am may be able to answer that question better than I am able to though.

I just wonder with all the attention that is being given to injuries now on the pro level, how much filters down to parents and such about their kids getting hurt for life or even the kids their self looking at it.  I know as much as I would love for my boy to play football in the upcoming years it is something that is on my mind as well.

I know a lot more parents are now thinking about it.  I have a cousin in Maryland who has 2 boys ( 1 is 10 and the other is 8 )  and they both wanted to play football or Lacrosse this year,  but his wife didn't want them too so they agreed to wait at least until next year and try to get more info. 

I don't have a boy and my girl is now almost 30 so I don't have to think about it,  but if I did have a boy of that age i just don't know how i would feel.  On one hand,  football was some of, if not the best times of my life and taught me a lot of good life lessons.  But on the other hand,  at 55,  I am now paying for some of the injuries i sustained back then.  I have had 4 knee operations and will have to have a knee replacement done soon,  and both knees have a lot of arthritis.

But,  to me,  all the great times and memories are still worth it and I would do it all again,  but I'm just not sure if I would want my kids to go through what i have had to go through over the years,  and that's not including the concussions I probably had.  Back when i played,  they would say "  you just got your bell rung"  get back in there....lol,  and back in we would go.  I'm sure most on here that have played up until just a couple of years ago heard and did the same thing.  That was all we knew and what the coaches knew.

I am glad that they have now realized just how serious a concussion can be, especially to a young mind.  So I can understand why a parent would think about not letting their kid play,  but it is something each parent has to decide for their kids.

Read this few weeks ago and bookmarked it.  

By Steve BlackledgeThe Columbus Dispatch • Sunday August 17, 2014 7:44 AM

A disturbing refrain is being echoed by coaches throughout high-school football two-a-days of late: Our numbers are down.

Always fearful of injuries decimating team depth, coaches can never have enough players on the roster. But their concerns this summer have more merit. Studies in Ohio and nationwide confirm that participation numbers — trickling all the way to the youth level — are on a steady decline.

Reasons for this trend are many: The time commitment and physical rigors are increasingly demanding. Students have more sports and academic activities to keep them busy. More athletes specialize in one sport with hopes of earning a scholarship. Participation fees can be an obstacle. Growing concerns about injuries, most notably concussions, deter some.

Others blame a general softening of our culture for boys opting not to play.

Since his first season at Mifflin in 2010, coach Gregg Miller said his roster has dwindled from 80 to just below 40.

“The kids are telling me they don’t want to spend their summer in the heat practicing,†said Miller, who plans to retire after this, his 23rd season. “They’d rather sit in the air conditioning and watch TV and play video games. They say they’re willing to come out when the season starts, but you and I know that isn’t going to fly.

“It’s just a different society we’re in now.â€

Westerville South 24th-year coach Rocky Pentello said the turnout in his Division I program has dropped from 90 roughly 10 years ago to below 50. Westerville Central’s opening in 2003 was just one factor.

“It’s a societal and generational thing,†he said. “The kids we’re getting are just different now. Kids are isolated; they’re not outside playing in the parks and fields like we did. I hate to say it, but a lot of them would rather sit home and play NCAA or Madden (video games). Football takes a lot of work, and a lot of kids today just aren’t willing to make that commitment.â€

Ready coach Brian Cross echoed the sentiments of his colleagues.

“High-school football is a year-round sport, and not a lot of people in this day and age are willing to make that kind of commitment in preparation,†he said.

For the rest of the article:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/sports/2014/08/17/some-kids-say-football-not-worth-the-effort.html