Florida State Fans in SWVA/Southern WV

BHS03

That is such a lame argument.

I am an Alabama fan, and have been since the early 90's. Yes, they were good in the early 90s, but that does not mean much to a 6 year old kid. I became a fan because my mom had a lot of respect for Gene Stallings, who had a handicapped son and never shied away from having him in the public light. He always made sure his son was a part of the program and got to enjoy the successes.

I stuck with Alabama thru the lean years, 1996-2006, the probations, the cheating incidents, Albert Means, etc....

Do I not have a right to enjoy my team's successes now (until last Thursday :( ) after sticking by my team through tough times?

How many UT/VT fans around here actually graduated from those schools?

Congratulations on some really great and dominating years of late.  I've always said that pre 2008 Alabama fans are great.  Having been to many Tenn-Alabama games, believe it or not, there is a ton of respect between the two programs as far as the loyal Tenn & Bama fans.  There is not a lot of trash talk, fights, and all that you think there would be when these two play.  There is usually just a lot of "Roll Tides" and "Go Big Orange".  Maybe more trash talk this year from UT fans due to the addition of Lane Kiffin.  I personally have no problem with him leaving Tenn for his dream job.  If any of us are offered our dream jobs, we would jump at the chance.  But, I have a good employer that has put food on my family's  table, and I wont leave and say see ya in the middle of the night.  Thats the only problem I have with him.  I never attended UT or any other college for that matter.  But having been to well over 150 games, I would say that I am a true fan. 

Congratulations on some really great and dominating years of late.  I've always said that pre 2008 Alabama fans are great.  Having been to many Tenn-Alabama games, believe it or not, there is a ton of respect between the two programs as far as the loyal Tenn & Bama fans.  There is not a lot of trash talk, fights, and all that you think there would be when these two play.  There is usually just a lot of "Roll Tides" and "Go Big Orange".  Maybe more trash talk this year from UT fans due to the addition of Lane Kiffin.  I personally have no problem with him leaving Tenn for his dream job.  If any of us are offered our dream jobs, we would jump at the chance.  But, I have a good employer that has put food on my family's  table, and I wont leave and say see ya in the middle of the night.  Thats the only problem I have with him.  I never attended UT or any other college for that matter.  But having been to well over 150 games, I would say that I am a true fan. 

You obviously are a true UT fan, props.

Ive been to several UT/Bama games as well and Ive never seen any incidents between fans. Its a great rivalry but a respectful one.

You obviously are a true UT fan, props.

Ive been to several UT/Bama games as well and Ive never seen any incidents between fans. Its a great rivalry but a respectful one.

UT fans didn't have a problem with Bama fans from 1995 to 2006 because UT was 10-2 vs Bama.  Now that Bama is winning again and has won 8 straight, Bama fans are the devil.  I've lived it.  Trust me, when you're winning it's easier not to hate the rival fan base.   

UT fans didn't have a problem with Bama fans from 1995 to 2006 because UT was 10-2 vs Bama.  Now that Bama is winning again and has won 8 straight, Bama fans are the devil.  I've lived it.  Trust me, when you're winning it's easier not to hate the rival fan base.   

lol agreed. I definitely hated UT more when they were dominating us. That damn 5 OT game in 2004 maybe? It was Casey Clausen's last year was as heartbreaking a loss as I can remember.

I would bet the UT fans just LOVED the 09 Bama/UT game with Mt. Cody blocking those FGs hehe

I still want to curse Daniel Lincoln for not getting that FG up, and quite a few others he missed around that time period.  I just cant do it though.  After he graduated from TN he became a Navy Seal and still serves our country I believe.

Neither Grant nor Kamara would see the field at Alabama to be honest, but both are very talented players. Kamara could be an awesome change of pace back for UT, he possesses breakaway speed and the big play threat that UT lacks with Hurd.

Grant is just another cog in the Auburn machine; he isnt someone special and he was arguably Auburn's 3rd best back this year behind CAP and Roc Thomas. Hell Jovon Reed may be better too.

• 6 months later...

I've got another reason for being a true Notre Dame fan living in Southwestern VA. They was good but didn't win any championships since I've been alive so obviously claiming that being my reason is voided. When I was a kid....say 5 or 6 when I started watching football....we only had 3 or maybe 4 channels on tv. I think 5, 11, 19, and maybe 36 or 39 was the only ones we had in the mid 90s so I was limited to who I watched even though alot of games came on these channels. But since we watched alot of NBC I got to see ND play all the time and grew fond of them. I was real close with my Uncle and he was a fan too....but along came VT in the late 90s and he kinda jumped ship and claimed them as his pride and glory. (largely due in part to Houseright and Beasley going there from GC) Left a bad taste in my mouth even as a kid seeing someone go from one team to the next no matter if the whole GC squad went to VT or not. From that point on I bashed anyone that kept more than one ncaa or NFL teams hat on their counter or closet. With that being said....I travel to see 3 or 4 ND home games each year providing my work schedule allows it. One huge reason I really liked ND is that at a young age I was informed you couldn't just go to ND for athletic ability.....you had to have good academics as well to even be looked at. None of this 8th grade level math skills yet take ghost classes and still play on the team and come out shining like a diamond in a goats a**. You don't have to be a grad to be a fan of a school that isn't local to where you live....thats completely bogus. I had the grades to get into any D1 school that I pleased when I graduated high school but some of those Universities didn't specialize in what field I wanted to pursue so obviously that had alot of bearing on where I went to school and I didn't choose to go to the school that I rooted for in sports. Something draws everyone to a team as a kid.....no matter what it is stick with that team through thick and thin and I don't see how your not a true fan. I mean.... kids dont attend college at 6-10 years old when you become interested in sports......and how many people do you know that wait til they enroll at a college to watch sports and then make them their permanent team to follow for life?!? Probably close to never!

With all that being said....your team doesnt have to be local, you dont have to be a grad from that school, and you dont have to attend games. All of that is hogwash!

And I realize this thread is super old and my post is essentially a novel....but I felt like stirring around in the pot a little bit with college football around the corner.

I've got another reason for being a true Notre Dame fan living in Southwestern VA. They was good but didn't win any championships since I've been alive so obviously claiming that being my reason is voided. When I was a kid....say 5 or 6 when I started watching football....we only had 3 or maybe 4 channels on tv. I think 5, 11, 19, and maybe 36 or 39 was the only ones we had in the mid 90s so I was limited to who I watched even though alot of games came on these channels. But since we watched alot of NBC I got to see ND play all the time and grew fond of them. I was real close with my Uncle and he was a fan too....but along came VT in the late 90s and he kinda jumped ship and claimed them as his pride and glory. (largely due in part to Houseright and Beasley going there from GC) Left a bad taste in my mouth even as a kid seeing someone go from one team to the next no matter if the whole GC squad went to VT or not. From that point on I bashed anyone that kept more than one ncaa or NFL teams hat on their counter or closet. With that being said....I travel to see 3 or 4 ND home games each year providing my work schedule allows it. One huge reason I really liked ND is that at a young age I was informed you couldn't just go to ND for athletic ability.....you had to have good academics as well to even be looked at. None of this 8th grade level math skills yet take ghost classes and still play on the team and come out shining like a diamond in a goats a**. You don't have to be a grad to be a fan of a school that isn't local to where you live....thats completely bogus. I had the grades to get into any D1 school that I pleased when I graduated high school but some of those Universities didn't specialize in what field I wanted to pursue so obviously that had alot of bearing on where I went to school and I didn't choose to go to the school that I rooted for in sports. Something draws everyone to a team as a kid.....no matter what it is stick with that team through thick and thin and I don't see how your not a true fan. I mean.... kids dont attend college at 6-10 years old when you become interested in sports......and how many people do you know that wait til they enroll at a college to watch sports and then make them their permanent team to follow for life?!? Probably close to never!

With all that being said....your team doesnt have to be local, you dont have to be a grad from that school, and you dont have to attend games. All of that is hogwash!

And I realize this thread is super old and my post is essentially a novel....but I felt like stirring around in the pot a little bit with college football around the corner.

NO U

Seriously, though, I'm glad you have the fortitude to admit that the reason you got into ND football were because NBC sold its soul to show every ND game on national TV. Most people make up some BS reason, so props.

The follow-up question I have is: which college do you cheer for in college basketball, if any?

You see where I'm going. A lot of people in this area pick-and-choose successful rooting interests in sports (VT football and UNC/ISIS basketball being the most common). And those people don't the cojones to admit that their choice of sports teams is literally nothing more than "these teams win and I want to feel good about myself so I cheer for a winner". It's emotionally safe, and emotionally feeble, and deserve to be noted as such.

There are respectable reasons to be an ND fan. There's a big pocket of them near Big Stone Gap for the obvious reason. But I'd say 80% of the ND fans I know couldn't tell you that ND basketball won the ACC title this last year. I'd say 95% couldn't name 3 of the starting 5 of thay team.

And that chafes me.

My rooting interest is clear. Times are good in basketball for my boys now, but I cheered for a lot of crappy teams to get there. Cheering for a crappy team in football right now. But it's worth the tradeoff.

Seriously, though, I'm glad you have the fortitude to admit that the reason you got into ND football were because NBC sold its soul to show every ND game on national TV. Most people make up some BS reason, so props.

The follow-up question I have is: which college do you cheer for in college basketball, if any?

You see where I'm going. A lot of people in this area pick-and-choose successful rooting interests in sports (VT football and UNC/ISIS basketball being the most common). And those people don't the cojones to admit that their choice of sports teams is literally nothing more than "these teams win and I want to feel good about myself so I cheer for a winner". It's emotionally safe, and emotionally feeble, and deserve to be noted as such.

There are respectable reasons to be an ND fan. There's a big pocket of them near Big Stone Gap for the obvious reason. But I'd say 80% of the ND fans I know couldn't tell you that ND basketball won the ACC title this last year. I'd say 95% couldn't name 3 of the starting 5 of thay team.

And that chafes me.

My rooting interest is clear. Times are good in basketball for my boys now, but I cheered for a lot of crappy teams to get there. Cheering for a crappy team in football right now. But it's worth the tradeoff.

Much like myself, UVAO. Our basketball team has been down a few years, but I've still cheered them on watched when I can.

I'm actually sitting at a VT Women's soccer exhibition game against Marshall right now.

I leave no doubts about where my heart lies.

The point im making, as did another individual on here, is that there's something that's a deciding factor for everyone that leads them to be a fan. Not everyone chooses a team due to their success. I could have counted the number of VT fans I knew on one hand when I was growing up in school. Then boom....suddenly out of the wood works there was a huge fan base around 1998, 1999, and 2000 all around me. But if them being successful for a few years is what drew kids to watching them and becoming fans of them then so be it..... as long as they remain fans then props to them. However, grown men that already had teams should cram their head in a hole and pull the world in around them for jumping ship.

And as for your question: I started watching football a couple years before basketball as a child. ....but I rooted for ND all the same in every sport. Not much to root for in basketball until as of lately but I still stay loyal to the university. Always ups and downs....more downs than ups for me since I started watching ND.

I wouldn't change who I root for no matter what university I graduated from. I went to school for an education...not for the right to root for a team

Might get to see what Wisconsin has to offer right off that bat this year. You won't have to worry about Gordon....so that's starting off on the right foot.

it's going to be a tougher year in general for bama. Hardest schedule In the country with subpar quarterbacks and slim depth in the skill players due to injuries/transfers/dismissals. 4 losses wouldn't be out of the question, but a national championship wouldn't be either

It's merely my opinion....but I thought Bama's QB play was their only weak point last year and might have been what kept them out of the National title game. He did good for the majority of the season....but still wasn't as solid as i felt he should have been.

And ND as of today was bit by the injury bug as well. Made it all the way up until 3 weeks before season starts and possibly lost 2 players. Seems like they never make it into the season unscathed when it comes to all their starters being healthy....and they as well aren't all that deep.

I've just got a weird got feeling that the buckeyes are gonna be really hard to stop again this year. I hope my gut is wrong...but they are loaded again

I've just got a weird got feeling that the buckeyes are gonna be really hard to stop again this year. I hope my gut is wrong...but they are loaded again

Immortals? We'll put their name to the test.

Anyone see what I did there?!? :)

If anyone has the chance to slip up and bite them that's probably the game! I'd like to see Oscar Meyer leaving Blacksburg with his tail tucked...but one loss I don't think keeps them out of the playoffs unfortunately. I could be wrong but I think they still make it in just like last year.

Qb was the weaker link last year. Bama's qb last year was listed as athlete and played 3rd string RB until Phillip sims transferred to UVA and they needed depth at qb. He was an average at best qb but he was an athletic senior that provides good leadership. He put up big numbers but most would if you has Amari Cooper catching more than half of your passes.

Lane Kiffin's system is built on having a good qb that can throw the ball to a big time go to receiver. Alabamas roster is built to pound the ball and have a a game manager at qb. Last year he got by with it with Sims and Cooper but this year will be interesting to see. They have the athletes but 0 experience

Won't really know until mid season but I'm thinking this will be a 2 or 3 loss team atleast