SWVASPORTS.COM

is a richlands vs union rematch the inevitable

UniON_FoOtBaLL

Gate City will ABSOLUTELY be in the playoffs with a win over Central, and may even snag a spot with a loss. I have heard some of the same insinuations about the Appo/Amherst game. Time will tell. Letcher did lose their starting RB to a season ending injury two weeks ago so that may change the dynamics of the game for the Bears.

Noaks will make a difference in any game that Union plays. They're better with him than without him, but that DOESN'T guarantee a victory over anyone including and especially Richlands. Some notes about the first meeting..

Richlands did have several turnovers. One int was a bad pass. The other two were great plays by Union's DBs.

Richlands' fumble was a great play by #27. He hit the QB and knocked the ball out of his hands.

The field goal was missed, but the XP was deflected by #27. 

So that's 6 mistakes by Richlands that could have cost them the game, but 4 were caused by Union. Union had an 1 INT, so that comes down to 1 net mistake by Richlands. If 1 mistake by a team costs them a game then the teams were pretty darn evenly matched. Richlands did have more yards, but it was only 60 more.

I personally don't want to play Richlands again. I hate playing teams twice when you win the first one. The winning team wants to play the second game like they did the first one because if it ain't broke don't fix it. While the losing team plans and schemes for a completely different game. I think the advantage would automatically go to Richlands. It's hard to get to the top, but it's easier than staying there. 

My point to all of this.....Union won a close, hard fought contest and have won 3 straight, but Richlands' time is coming. That's why I don't wan to see them again this year.

Like Giles and Glenvar last  year. However, i feel like Union/Richlands rematch would be similar to their first game. When Giles and Glenvar played regular season last year Giles dominated. They felt like they didnt need to make any adjustments and when they playoffs came about they were looking past Glenvar, wondering which East was coming to town the next week. Union and Richlands will both make adjustments because that game couldve went either way. If they do meet up, I will definitely be there, along with most of swva!

A playoff match-up between Giles and Glenvar could fall much the same way as last year if they were to meet again.  Giles is a very good team.  I have said it before, 2A west is about as evenly matched inside the top 6-8 programs as you will find anywhere.

Personally, if Union/Richlands 2 happens, I will be present!  That is the closest thing to a "can't miss game" as we get in SWVA.

A playoff match-up between Giles and Glenvar could fall much the same way as last year if they were to meet again.  Giles is a very good team.  I have said it before, 2A west is about as evenly matched inside the top 6-8 programs as you will find anywhere.

Personally, if Union/Richlands 2 happens, I will be present!  That is the closest thing to a "can't miss game" as we get in SWVA.

I just hope that Giles/Glenvar and Richlands/Union doesnt happen the same day. Gonna be hard to pick which game to go to!

I am just hoping and praying it works out in some other way than Union being the 1 and Richlands the 4 or Union being the 2 and Richlands the 3 (highly unlikely), but if Union wins out and Appomattox loses to Amherst, it will likely be Union with the top seed and Richlands at #4, meaning they could meet again in the third round.

It'd be a shame, because I believe both teams are capable of winning a state title if they play their best ball, I hope it works out that they don't have to meet til the state title game if Union can avoid their traditional playoff letdowns and Richlands keeps rolling.

I'd almost take a loss tomorrow to Letcher if it meant ending up with the 2-seed while Richlands got the 4. Taking nothing away from Appo, Glenvar, Giles or Buckingham, I'd rather play a new opponent instead of having a rematch until it absolutely has to happen.

An all-SWVA 2A West Final would be awesome, esp if its Union/Richlands, but I worry that in the cold weather and the snow, that the high powered Union offense might struggle as it has the past three years. Union played eventual state champ Glenvar EXTREMELY tough last year and had chances to win the game but Glenvar was better and Union did not play its absolute best. It was 19-9 and Union had like five turnovers. Same with Stuarts Draft the year before. 

Interesting note:

Union has not lost a home game in the regular season in like 4 seasons, going like 23-0 at home during that time. Currently, Union has not lost at home period since losing to GC in the playoffs in 2013. So Union has won at least 12 straight home games right now.