Ridgeview/Grundy

redtiger

15 years ago this would have been an impressive matchup, Grundy one of the best D3 teams in SWVA and a new Ridgeview team loaded with talent trying to climb to the top of D3. But its 15 years later; Grundy started hot and has struggled down the stretch, Ridgeview struggled early against some quality opponents but has since gotten on track and are currently rolling. 

I know Grundy has a really good RB and like to run the ball but thats all I really know about them other than they wear a lot of gold and navy.

Ridgeview has a tendency for allowing lesser teams to hang around/an inability to close lesser teams out.

I think the Wolfpack get the win but its pretty close, whats everyones thoughts on this one?

Directions from Grundy

Follow 83 through the town of Haysi, LEFT(to stay on 83) at New Peoples Bank and across the bridge(Fire Dept is on the left), take the next RIGHT to stay on 83 across the bridge. Follow 83 through Clinchco, the road follows the McClure river. It will seem like kind of a long way but keep going. After awhile you will start going uphill(3 lane road, passing lane is on the other side), you will go through 1 left hand curve and then one really steep right hand curve. At the top of the mountain turn RIGHT, onto 637 Rose Ridge Road. There is some road construction but it will be cleared up by the time you get there. The school is ahead on the left, you cant miss it. 

Most of the available parking is at the front of the school but its about 400 yards to the stadium entrance(park then go left around the school). You can also park behind the school, continue left around the school and take the gravel road on the left(large field), park on the right behind the stands or continue around past the stadium to the baseball and softball field(there will be people directing traffic). They try to hold the closest parking spots for people that have difficulty walking. From the entrance the visitor side is to the right of the field.

redtiger,  I think it's great the way you give directions every week to the stadium,  you probably know this,  but that is a great help to people who haven't been there ! 

I know the school is new and the area where its at is just a rural community so most have no idea where it is.

Were all very proud of the school and what were trying to create. I just want everyone to have an enjoyable experience(other than leaving the Ridge with a L that is)

Ridgeview probably wins this one, although I don't think they are good enough to blow anybody out. One interesting note to this will be transfers. One player has already left RV for Grundy and there are rumors a couple of others may follow. I think some of those decisions may have been made while Grundy was rolling against lesser competition while RV was reeling against a monster early schedule. Some of the players have taken it as kind of a slap in the face. It may add a little intensity to the game.

Ridgeview probably wins this one, although I don't think they are good enough to blow anybody out. One interesting note to this will be transfers. One player has already left RV for Grundy and there are rumors a couple of others may follow. I think some of those decisions may have been made while Grundy was rolling against lesser competition while RV was reeling against a monster early schedule. Some of the players have taken it as kind of a slap in the face. It may add a little intensity to the game.

So you simply transfer because of athletics and not academics? And you transfer from a program in a couple of years can be like the Union program is today? I don't get it! Am I missing something here?

So you simply transfer because of athletics and not academics? And you transfer from a program in a couple of years can be like the Union program is today? I don't get it! Am I missing something here?

I know nothing about the transfers, but after coaching pee wee this year it all comes down to instant gratification.  Kids today don't see the big picture they have blinders on and only see whats straight infront of them. I am sure it was a case of Grundy is on a roll and RV was not. JMO. I don't take a side on the whole transfer thing, it just didn't happen very often when I played.  I only rembemer 1 transfering to our school and he caught so much hell, more than the freshmen. lol

The only kid I know that transfered to grundy is a relative of mine, the kids only a freshman, and he just fractured his ankle, might have to have surgery, so I think it's a moot point atm. From where he lives he's almost in Buchanan co. Anyways. Let's just play the game and quit worrying over trivial stuff like that.

I didn't question or address what anyone's motives were or if it was right or wrong that they were transferring. I personally don't care. I love the only boy I know that has transferred and wish him the best. I just said that some players are a little fired up because some are threatening to or already have transferred. This is not another one of the million or so arguments on here accusing anyone of anything just an observation on the game.

I didn't question or address what anyone's motives were or if it was right or wrong that they were transferring. I personally don't care. I love the only boy I know that has transferred and wish him the best. I just said that some players are a little fired up because some are threatening to or already have transferred. This is not another one of the million or so arguments on here accusing anyone of anything just an observation on the game.

I understand that completely. If someone was talking about transferring or threatening to from grundy it probably wouldn't have went over well and pissed alot of people off. So I get where ya coming from on that end. It will probably add a little fuel to the fire id say. Can't really wait to watch this one. Fricken work had kept me from watching Manu games. Only ones I've been able to catch were the Ridgeview-jenkins and Grundy - riverview? Where thunder postponed it so I've been rather dissapointed all season lol

There were grumblings of a possible mass exodus of young players early in the season. Over reaction to 2 close losses and 2 losses to VERY good teams coupled with stagnant play calling on offense. Those rumors have died down as of late with the teams success. The kid transferred to Grundy for whatever reason; maybe Grundy is closer for him than Rv(very possible), he went because he thought Grundy was/is/going to be better. Idk anything about him other than hes a freshmen that went to school in Haysi for his whole life then jumped to Grundy. Does something like that make the game more personal for the players, you bet your bottom dollar it does. Are any fans worried about it, I doubt it. I know im not.

Instant gratification is a big part of kids transferring but imo a larger issue is lack of loyalty, devotion and the inner strength to overcome adversity. None of this is directed at the young man who transferred but is an issue for society overall. "im not happy. im out"

^thats the problem.

There are no "bad" teams in AA. There are some that arent very good but all have at least 2-3 players that would start for Rv. People just dont understand the jump in competition.

Rye Cove, Twin Springs, Twin Valley, etc those teams arent gonna be on the schedule anymore. A lot of the issue is former Haysi fans that simply dont understand that now there are no "down" weeks. Every week the opponent is capable of beating you. 

I actually hear more complaining about play calls, especially early on in the year from the Clintwood fans. At least they seem to be louder. A lot of Haysi fans complained about Coach Colley throwing too much as did I. However the play calling early on at RV was god awful. Coach Mullins has adapted somewhat and the kids have performed better also. Now with all that said , I like Rick and mean no disrespect, just my humble opinion.

Grundy has a great passing game, they have two or three kids that can throw the ball well...they have Christian Jackson who is one of the best WR's in this area bar none, they have Wolford and Coleman who are both great WR's...they just choose not to use it for some reason. I don't know why...maybe they just can't get time to throw it? I don't know. If I was Grundy, I'd be throwing the shit out of the ball every week and running somewhere other than up the gut unless it was just wide open or I saw something on film that made me think i could. I'd get the ball out in space and try to let some of the kids make some plays.

They can't or don't tackle very well...I don't know why. Coach Ward pretty much tells them exactly where the ball is going and they either get there and don't wrap up or they don't get there and get run over...one of the two...end result is they make average high school RB's look like Barry Sanders. I don't know why.

Grundy has a good team, great bunch of kids, they are just not playing very well right now...I don't know why.

Just my opinion...and frustrations...don't let it make you butt hurt.

I actually hear more complaining about play calls, especially early on in the year from the Clintwood fans. At least they seem to be louder. A lot of Haysi fans complained about Coach Colley throwing too much as did I. However the play calling early on at RV was god awful. Coach Mullins has adapted somewhat and the kids have performed better also. Now with all that said , I like Rick and mean no disrespect, just my humble opinion.

Exactly and I agree 100%. I really believe Coach Mullins didnt know what he had. 2 WRs, a FB and a TE that can all catch. Now w/ Reynolds at WR its 3 WRs and a QB who is capeable. Not to mention a OL that doesnt dominate the los. Now that hes got a grip on what he has the play calling has improved greatly. 

I think the overall play of the AA teams in the area is getting better in general and also Abingdon in AAA is getting better. Tazewell, Graham, Grundy, Central are all getting better the last couple of years and now with RV coming along the future is brighter in SWVA.

Agreed. Even Battle who was pretty bad had a big OL (well bigger than Rv has) along w/ a couple of ok WRs and a QB who could at least lay it up for them. Marion has struggled this season but was very big up front, had a big FB, a couple of WRs who played well and a QB who was solid.

AA is trending up.

That's very different from a bad A team.

Here is my insight from what I saw last week so take it as you will.

Grundy has speed even on defense.  The speed hurts them many times because of over pursuit and inability to finish a tackle.  Their passing game is pretty good if you give them enough time to pass.  The only way they have that time is to roll out and scramble.  I think give them some time and they will be good if they stick with the program.

Now I don't know anything about Ridgeview but I think Grundy has a fair shot at the win.  Either way look for it to be a good close one.

Ridgeview is far from a dominant team so they wont be blowing anyone out but they are a tough team and I think will be competitive in every game they play going forward. Does Grundy have a chance? Yeah, a very good one. That being said I think Rv wins