Giles vs Ridgeview

SWVAgridiron

I agree I like you think Richlands and Union are the 2 best teams but nobody has watched anyone from the east so really hard to say on them. I honestly don't think Giles could beat either Richlands or Union....But I really don't know much about Union this year except what i've read here....Richlands I talk to Mance's dad quite often and he usually don't say much about how good they are any year but he and a couple friends that watched y'all play all say "that's one of the best teams i've seen in a good while"....so i will take their word on it.

I'll be honest I thought Giles would finish 7-3 or maybe 8-2(if we got a few breaks)....and we sit at 9-1....I think our coaching staff and players have done a very very good job this year in what I thought was a rebuilding year.

Starting friday I just hope we come out and play hard, try and make a run at this and see how far they can go...and our fans(most will) be there to pat these young men on the back and tell them how proud we are of them win or lose

I dont think anybody will be anxious to play Giles. They can beat ANYBODY in 2A. I didnt think you guys would be sitting at 9-1 either but here you are getting better. So congratulations and good luck the rest of the way. Should be a lot of fun

I'd be fine with a playoff that only included the top 8 in the East and the top 8 in the West...it would make the regular season more meaningful. I'd also be ok with going back to regions and letting district champs have automatic births and only taking 4 teams per classification per region. IMO, if you can't win your district, you don't have a bitch come playoff time. And, if your rating isn't good enough to get in, you don't have a bitch there either. If you really want to prevent teams with really good records from missing out, go to regions and take 6 per region but give the 2 highest rated teams byes...and give district champs automatic births. 32 teams per classification is just too many...cheapens the accomplishment.

I'd be fine with a playoff that only included the top 8 in the East and the top 8 in the West...it would make the regular season more meaningful. I'd also be ok with going back to regions and letting district champs have automatic births and only taking 4 teams per classification per region. IMO, if you can't win your district, you don't have a bitch come playoff time. And, if your rating isn't good enough to get in, you don't have a bitch there either. If you really want to prevent teams with really good records from missing out, go to regions and take 6 per region but give the 2 highest rated teams byes...and give district champs automatic births. 32 teams per classification is just too many...cheapens the accomplishment.

so you would rather let health and depth decide who the state champion is, I would rather let more teams in, it builds the resume of the future champ because they went thru even the streaking teams that improved as the season progressed. For example ridgeview, was struggling at the beginning and now I feel bad for Giles.

I like the system we have now, but would reduce the number to 16 as well. I enjoy the cross bracket because the 2 best teams should play in the final regardless of location. Our system isn't perfect, but if the 2 best teams happen to be in the same district or region, it may decrease the likelihood of a blowout state final (although there is no perfect solution).I have really enjoyed the years where Clint wood and Galax, as well as Honaker and George Wythe have played in state championships, which wasn't possible under the old region system.

So are you saying you think Ridgeview will beat Giles?

They very well may beat us but I don't think Giles is scared of Ridgeview just because they are "hot".

I'm not saying Giles will definitely win because that's why they play the game...and there are upsets every year but to say you feel bad for us is funny.

Now I do feel bad for Grayson County because they are going to get beat as bad as Mance wants to beat them

I wouldn't say I feel bad for Giles, don't put that on Ridgeview. SWVA 2A is loaded, theres not an easy game in 2A West.

Union and Glenvar are undefeated and look VERY impressive.  Richlands and Giles each have 1 loss and are a play or two away from being undefeated themselves. Central is tough and may make some noise, Graham seems to be a team everyone thinks can pull some upsets, Rv is on a roll and improving each week, Grayson has a great QB/WR combo, Lee and VaHigh aren't teams to be overlooked. 2A West and SWVA are just tough. This has got to be one of the better years for SWVA at this level.

So are you saying you think Ridgeview will beat Giles?

They very well may beat us but I don't think Giles is scared of Ridgeview just because they are "hot".

I'm not saying Giles will definitely win because that's why they play the game...and there are upsets every year but to say you feel bad for us is funny.

Now I do feel bad for Grayson County because they are going to get beat as bad as Mance wants to beat them

I'm saying a hot team is dangerous, Play ball early or let the nail bitting begin. Truthfully out of the 8 games I see maybe 3 gimmes

I wouldn't say I feel bad for Giles, don't put that on Ridgeview. SWVA 2A is loaded, theres not an easy game in 2A West.

Union and Glenvar are undefeated and look VERY impressive.  Richlands and Giles each have 1 loss and are a play or two away from being undefeated themselves. Central is tough and may make some noise, Graham seems to be a team everyone thinks can pull some upsets, Rv is on a roll and improving each week, Grayson has a great QB/WR combo, Lee and VaHigh aren't teams to be overlooked. 2A West and SWVA are just tough. This has got to be one of the better years for SWVA at this level.

^^THIS^^

so you would rather let health and depth decide who the state champion is, I would rather let more teams in, it builds the resume of the future champ because they went thru even the streaking teams that improved as the season progressed. For example ridgeview, was struggling at the beginning and now I feel bad for Giles.

No..I'd rather the regular season weed out teams over time than to wait and see who is hot at the end. When teams with 3 or 4  wins are not in contention in their districts or conferences, are no where close to the top in power points, but are still in contention to get in the playoffs in weeks 10 & 11...something is wrong.  I'd rather add to the prestige of a playoff birth even if it meant that a good team got left out every now and then, than to cheapen it to the point that the majority gets in every year.

I'm saying a hot team is dangerous, Play ball early or let the nail bitting begin. Truthfully out of the 8 games I see maybe 3 gimmes

Well using this logic Union,Appomattox,Glenvar are all 10-0 and hot and Giles,Richlands and Buckingham are 9-1 and hot....but any team in the playoffs has a shot to win IMO...well except Grayson Co LOL

Really, I'd prefer to see it go back to regions.  This year is a good example why it would work.  2A West is loaded...if you broke the West up into 2 regions and only took the top 4 teams, this year you would have (rough estimate): Appomattox, Glenvar, Buckingham, and Giles in one region....Union, Richlands, Central, and Graham in the other.  That, in itself, covers the teams in the west who would have a legit gripe about not making the playoffs.  But, for those of you that want it watered down, add James River and Dan River to the first group and give Appomattox and Glenvar first round byes, and add Ridgeview and Grayson to the second group and give Union and Richlands first round byes.  that more than adequately covers the teams in the West that truly deserve playoff births.  And, any of the first round matchups under either scenario are far more intriguing than any of the first round games on the slate for this weekend.

I say that Richlands could probably beat Grayson so long as there's not a massive contagion this week. I expect Richlands to score the clinching points sometime in the first quarter.

I bolded the portion of Redtiger's post I was referring to.  2A west is as stacked as any division has ever been in this state!

Grayson will complete some passes down field, nobody has been able to completely stop them from that.  Lundy and Phillips are too talented to completely shut down.  Making a half a dozen plays down field that result in one score isn't going to win any game in 2A west.  Once the field is shrunk inside the red zone, they have nothing resembling a running game.  I believe their top rusher has less than 500 yards for the season.  Richlands will be able to do whatever they want to the porous Grayson defense.  

The game will be over inside the first 8 minutes!

No..I'd rather the regular season weed out teams over time than to wait and see who is hot at the end. When teams with 3 or 4 wins are not in contention in their districts or conferences, are no where close to the top in power points, but are still in contention to get in the playoffs in weeks 10 & 11...something is wrong. I'd rather add to the prestige of a playoff birth even if it meant that a good team got left out every now and then, than to cheapen it to the point that the majority gets in every year.

Granted this is by no means the nfl, however I saw a stats on wildcard teams that won the superbowl, and it was amazing since 2000.

I also see that as something that is exciting, yes it does somewhat diminish the "I got to state" story from the old days, but I do not like the system giving teams a bye in the first round (circumstances aside), it seems pointless, you should come to play every week, but when playoff time comes, you should flip the switch and play ball.

If gate city got into the playoffs this year I bet they would have made some noise, and I'm a lee fan.

So no my belief is it may diminish the "I got to state" chat but it strengthens the "I won state" statement.

Personally I hate byes and im not a fan of the Champs only playoff setup. A key injury, an off night, or one of a thousand things and a successful season can go nowhere. Ive seen Haysi and Honaker both be victims of a limited playoff field.

I think 4 teams from each region isint enough to guarantee that deserving teams make it in. Maybe keep East/West and do 8 teams from each? Keep the E/W divide similar to the old Regions(Appomattox, Dan River, Gretna, etc would be East).

1st round matchups would be

Grayson @ Union

Ridgeview @ Glenvar

Graham @ Richlands

Central @ Giles

Don't have a dog in this fight and I know nobody is over looking anybody but I'm hearing alot of talk and James River seems to be left out of the conservaion. Just saying be careful, Knights are a good football team.

I like the system we have now, but would reduce the number to 16 as well. I enjoy the cross bracket because the 2 best teams should play in the final regardless of location. Our system isn't perfect, but if the 2 best teams happen to be in the same district or region, it may decrease the likelihood of a blowout state final (although there is no perfect solution).I have really enjoyed the years where Clint wood and Galax, as well as Honaker and George Wythe have played in state championships, which wasn't possible under the old region system.

Exactly. I like the cross bracketing for that very reason. If the two best teams are in the the same district, conference, region or whatever then so be it. I would do the top 12 teams on each side just because of the upsets that we have seen over the past few years.

Just think. Had Richlands, Union, and Gate City been in the same district last year, and we only went by district schedule then Richlands wouldn't have made it to the playoffs. Yet, they made it further than the two teams that beat them in the regular season.

But what if the 2 best teams in the state are on opposite sides of the state and they play in the semis instead of the finals? Yes this year seems the 2 best are on one side but how often does that really happen? This is just travel(for cross-bracketing) that don't need to happen....no reason for kids to get on a bus and go 5 hours or more when it could be 1 hour or less..........Just my opinion though

Back on topic of Ridgeview@Giles.... I can't wait to see how this plays out. Could be telling of how much Ridgeview improved in the last half of the season and/or how good Giles really is since they haven't played a team that I have personally seen this year.

Seeing the scores pop up during Friday night's games will be very telling of where everyone is since most will be a battle of west-west vs east-west.