Giles vs Ridgeview

SWVAgridiron

I think that was the case in 2013 in 1A. Imo Haysi and Altavista were the two best teams in the state. How Essex preformed against Alta, versus how Haysi preformed vs them is proof of that imo.  

I like the new matchups that cross bracketing brings but idk if its worth the travel, time and expense.

But what if the 2 best teams in the state are on opposite sides of the state and they play in the semis instead of the finals? Yes this year seems the 2 best are on one side but how often does that really happen? This is just travel(for cross-bracketing) that don't need to happen....no reason for kids to get on a bus and go 5 hours or more when it could be 1 hour or less..........Just my opinion though

Look how many teams are doing that for the first round this week. Gretna to Union, Central to Dan River, Lee to Appomattox are all over 4 hours. Ridgeview to Giles is right at 3 hrs. All the rest are over 2 hrs. I don't think a cross bracket is going to add much to travel. With consolidation and the way teams are spread out now, there's not going to be too many short trips in the playoffs anymore. Especially, if you avoid regular season rematches.

Im really looking forward to this game. Making the playoffs is HUGE for Ridgeview and I was personally hoping they would get to play Giles. I really enjoy watching Giles play, the Offense, the uniforms and the quality of the young men are all like stepping back in time. Its obvious tradition runs deep and is very much alive in Giles. Not to mention ive never been up there for a game so im really excited for that too.

I bolded the portion of Redtiger's post I was referring to.  2A west is as stacked as any division has ever been in this state!

Grayson will complete some passes down field, nobody has been able to completely stop them from that.  Lundy and Phillips are too talented to completely shut down.  Making a half a dozen plays down field that result in one score isn't going to win any game in 2A west.  Once the field is shrunk inside the red zone, they have nothing resembling a running game.  I believe their top rusher has less than 500 yards for the season.  Richlands will be able to do whatever they want to the porous Grayson defense.  

The game will be over inside the first 8 minutes!

I must have misunderstood.  Happens occasionally.  ;)

But what if the 2 best teams in the state are on opposite sides of the state and they play in the semis instead of the finals? Yes this year seems the 2 best are on one side but how often does that really happen? This is just travel(for cross-bracketing) that don't need to happen....no reason for kids to get on a bus and go 5 hours or more when it could be 1 hour or less..........Just my opinion though

If the best two teams are on the opposite side of the state, they will still meet in the state finals...

W1 plays E2, E1 plays W2.

Not all the time though UVAO....if the #1 in one side and #2 in the other side are considered the best teams in the state(like #2 and #4 are this year) they may or may not play in state finals....#1 in west could play #2 in east for example in semis

If you're the best two teams in this state, you're gonna play in Salem. Everyone says Richlands and Union are the two. If they don't make it to Salem, then they weren't the two best teams after all.

If you're the best two teams in this state, you're gonna play in Salem. Everyone says Richlands and Union are the two. If they don't make it to Salem, then they weren't the two best teams after all.

Everyone on this side of the state seems to think that but nobody knows how teams on east feel about that....I just think they need to redo the playoff format to avoid all this traveling for the players....even in the early rounds...just way too much traveling compared to the way it use to be

Everyone on this side of the state seems to think that but nobody knows how teams on east feel about that....I just think they need to redo the playoff format to avoid all this traveling for the players....even in the early rounds...just way too much traveling compared to the way it use to be

I admit it is a lot of travel time, but travel time never hurt anyone especially if its just playoffs. I've driven many time from Ewing va to Clincho elem school for district tourny.

Google maps says it's 2 hours I can assure you its much longer on a bus.

Yeah, you only have to go back to 2010 when everyone would have bet the farm that Richlands was going to win the title. 

Granted, I believe if they were to play 10 times that year, Richlands would have beat Poquoson 9 of those times, but they didn't. 

That's why they play the games...

Red Tiger and other Ridgeview fans, I know this will be a big-time game with a big-time atmosphere.   The train horn, the sea of fans on both sides, it is going to be a classic.  If it were any other team than Giles I would be rooting for you.  In this case,  I have family there and I have to be cheering for the Spartans and the win. 

I like this playoff format the best, so what if some undeserving teams make it. To me that is much better than deserving teams not making it. Remember the old Highlands district? The highlands district champ would make the playoffs with a 3-7 or 4-6 record while in a tough district some one could miss out with a 9-1 or 8-2 record. All the scrub teams are out in the first round anyway. It's like the NCAA tourney there are always some surprises it just makes it more fun. This year a team like Graham or RV could make some noise that wouldn't have made it in the past. Those young guys will get at least one more week of practice which will help them come next year. The schools make a little more money, the community gets a little more involved and excited. To me it is just a win win. The "best" team don't always win that is what makes it fun. 

I like this playoff format the best, so what if some undeserving teams make it. To me that is much better than deserving teams not making it. Remember the old Highlands district? The highlands district champ would make the playoffs with a 3-7 or 4-6 record while in a tough district some one could miss out with a 9-1 or 8-2 record. All the scrub teams are out in the first round anyway. It's like the NCAA tourney there are always some surprises it just makes it more fun. This year a team like Graham or RV could make some noise that wouldn't have made it in the past. Those young guys will get at least one more week of practice which will help them come next year. The schools make a little more money, the community gets a little more involved and excited. To me it is just a win win. The "best" team don't always win that is what makes it fun.

This ×200

I hope that Ridgeview does put up a fight against Giles. Judging by their scores Giles hasn't had a tough game the past 3 weeks scoring 69,63,and 49. They will need to be challenged because after round 1 they will more than likely only face teams with a higher seed than them

I agree. I was at the Giles vs Lee game last year and it was just a sea of red. The atmosphere at Giles itself it just amazing and when you have a team that comes in and brings a lot of fans and then you have Giles who always packs the stadium. I do believe Giles fans are the loudest of any other school in SWVA, not just because of the train horn but the fans themselves are very loud.

If giles plays union are richlands your gonna see a big turn out an they rival any schools fan base I love it when the opposing team brings fans makes for a better game

This being my first trip to Giles ive got a few questions for the Spartan faithful,

The parking lot to the side of the school looks kinda small, where do people typically park when it gets full?

Which side is the home side, near the entrance or across the field?

Hows the food? 

This being my first trip to Giles ive got a few questions for the Spartan faithful,

the parking lot to the side of the school looks kinda small, where do people typically park when it gets full?

Hows the food?

They have parking in the grass area beside the tennis court, all around the school, student and teacher parking lot but usually many people park down at Walmart and walk up there and they park along the side of the road on the main drag. The home side seating is opposite side from the entrance. And they have the best concession stand food I've eaten! And I think it's cheaper than most places

If you only took 12 West and 12 East in the current format, there is still an extra week of practice, and you could reward the top 4 on each side with a well deserved bye....and trim the fat in the process.

the parking lot to the side of the school looks kinda small, where do people typically park when it gets full?

Hows the food? 

Tiger We always use the Wal Mart parking lot just below the field. It is just a short walk up a small embankment and fairly easy to get back out. Plenty of room also. Thats just our gang but we have did it many many times.

If Giles and Union get past round 2 then it will happen! Giles fans usually start rolling in about 2 and a half hours before kickoff!

Union folks start lining up 4 hrs before kickoff. Even at away games depending on location. See Allen Gregory's(BHC reporter) twitter feed for pics. He refers to it as the running of the Bear fans. Pretty crazy!