Union @ Clarke Co

GoBearsGo

It looks like nobody scores on Clarke Co. Do you really think Union will roll?

Nobody scored on Glenvar either. Like I said in a earlier post I knw nothing about them. I also don't think I'm going on a limb saying glenvar has a better D I'm sure they do but who knows. We're definitely gonna find out that what we do know and I can't wait. ;]

Thanks Bearcat Bob for the helpful info! That's what I was after with the original post. I am totally in agreement with you on your comment about "some" Union fans verging on Richlands & GC level but  I can assure you that 90% of Union fans are NOT that way. Every town has their share of "those" types you mentioned (and btw, loved the comment about wearing your letterman jacket to your wedding!) It just seems as though the other 10% are the ones who man the message boards. I'm as big of a Union fan as there is, had one son play 4 years and another a freshman and I can promise we're not all bad! 

I will remember that. I have never been haughty or disrespecting to any team. I may have been in a few verbal spats with a few here and me and Bob have had our share a few times but that was cheap. I especially have been kind to the Union fans and team. 

I see you Roll with the Tide....Good day Sir.

I saw Clarke by accident earlier this year...long story there.  They played William Monroe at Albemarle High School.  Clarke is strong.  They might be one of the physically strongest teams I have seen in high school.  Even their coaches are jacked.  I would call them arrogant to the point of being cocky.  Lots of silly dead ball fouls for really stupid things like shoving after the whistle, trash talking, etc.  This was mostly done by the defense.  Looked to me as if they were trying to be intimidating by these actions.  Their defense is very physical.

Someone on preps said the same thing about the conduct of their players. He was quickly dismissed as making stuff up by Clarke folks and others. Sounds like he was spot on. Thanks for the info!

I live in a neighboring county to Clarke. The guy on preps and this site are definitely spot on. Its like this from their youth league and up. Very cocky and show lots of poor sportsmanship. Of course this is just my opinion, but I work with a few Clarke alum, who are all ex players and they will tell you the same thing.

Has Union faced an all power run team?

As in single wing, double wing, T, or some other tight formation......no. Stuart's Draft in 2012 was the last I remember. They contained, but certainly didn't stop them. Lee High was mostly run this year, but that's because they didn't have much of a passing game.

I'm very anxious and nervous to see how we do against Clarke. 

BlueRazor.. You read way to much into my comment my friend. I have the utmost respect for Richlands fans and players. My intention was to point out that we ALL have those fans that make the rest of us look the way Bearcat Bob was referring. Most of you guys on here are great to talk football with but you gotta admit, there's a few bad apples from every fan base.

And they also do a spread like formation. QB doesn't look bad.

I notice that their O line has decent size but stand straight up when the ball in snapped. To run the single wing you have to get low and put your shoulder pads on their hips, at least that's how Giles does it which is why they have so much success. I pick Union by 2 touchdowns

1.  I can not say or comment anything on games being moved to neutral sites.  I don't like it.  I was very outspoken last year when Auburn convinced the VHSL to move the 1A West volleyball semis from Rye Cove to a more centralized location in Marion.  Auburn was that good and could have beaten Rye Cove in Clinchport and not been a douche about it.  It's no secret that Jimbo tried to get the Haysi/Burton playoff games the last couple of years moved to UVA-Wise, pretty much giving THEM the home game and not us.  That and some other comments he's made over the years, will never get me to pull for Burton as long as he's a coach there.  I'm thrilled Galax beat the crap out of them.  Robbins tried to do the same back in '05 when PV had to come to Haysi.  Granted, I will admittedly say that we stole home field advantage that year by beating Letcher Central who was in their first year of competition... however, by the system, we earned that right.  Nobody from Haysi that I am aware of complained one bit about the potential of having to play Essex on their field.  The VHSL moved the game.  At halftime Saturday in BSG, I heard some Union fans whining about the possibility of having to make this trip.  Accept it.  Make the trip, take care of business (like I know the Bears will :-)) and don't whine about it.  Appomattox stole home field by beating a 4A team the final week of the season.  Next year, if you want home field, maybe you should try to schedule someone tougher in week 8 instead of Eastside.  I was furious about 3 minutes into the Ridgeview/Jenkins game in week 1 when it became readily apparent how terrible a team we had scheduled... and apparently play again next season because playing teams like give you a win and 16 points and that's basically it.

2.  As far as fans go around here, I will say that 99% of the area have been very receptive, warm and welcome to the Wolfpack fan base in season one.  Especially the folks from Richlands, Union, Lee and even places like Grayson County and Giles.  I did have one pompous jerk from Giles approach me in the parking lot in Pearisburg after the defeat ask me "How'd you like that taste of the single wing there pal?  Can't stop it!  Nobody can!"  I'd love to find that guy today and tell him... "Apparently Glenvar has your number there pal..."   And a lot of Central fans who thought they were the greatest team of all time after beating an inaugural program in its second ever game.  And one Union fan trolled me on Twitter after the loss to Giles as well, who I promptly blocked. Not going to let one Union fan discourage me from pulling for the Bears.

I know bullet point one will probably draw a lot of negativity in replies, but let me make it clear that I am pulling for Union and hope they win it all.  Just trying to make a point to say don't whine about the trip at hand or if it has to be played at their stadium.  Enjoy it, treat it like a second vacation and kick ass.  :-)

I did have one pompous jerk from Giles approach me in the parking lot in Pearisburg after the defeat ask me "How'd you like that taste of the single wing there pal?  Can't stop it!  Nobody can!"  

That is quite surprising because Giles does have a classy program. But all schools have them certain fans that only come out at playoff time and start talking smack when they probably cant name 5 players on the team.