Union @ Clarke Co

GoBearsGo

I have been to Clarke's stadium.  It is pretty large with very nice turf.  I would compare it favorably with VHS' stadium.   I think some of you are looking at the old high school.  They built a new high school a few years ago.  However, their field is adjacent to the middle school.  No need to bring a lawn chair! 

I saw Clarke by accident earlier this year...long story there.  They played William Monroe at Albemarle High School.  Clarke is strong.  They might be one of the physically strongest teams I have seen in high school.  Even their coaches are jacked.  I would call them arrogant to the point of being cocky.  Lots of silly dead ball fouls for really stupid things like shoving after the whistle, trash talking, etc.  This was mostly done by the defense.  Looked to me as if they were trying to be intimidating by these actions.  Their defense is very physical.

They threw the ball the night I saw them but running is definitely their strong suit.  They basically overload one side and run right at the defense trying to have more bodies than does the defense.  I guess what they run is a version of the single wing.  But it looked like a spread option at times.  

I struck up conversation with one of the parents.  He did not think much of the head coach; and his son was a starter.  This gentleman said that the HC called the offense and was "down right pathetic".  He pointed out that Clarke had not beaten a disciplined team with decent talent in the 3 years his son was on the varsity squad.  He said that when they meet a team that can stop the run, the Clarke party will be over.

So there is what I know.  I can add that their district, the Bull Run, is WAY down.  But I would not take any team that strong, or in the semis, lightly.

P.S.:  Winchester is fairly close by but so is Front Royal.  IMHO, Front Royal is the better option because of its proximity to the interstate and the traffic is much less than Winchester. Probably about 20 minutes from Berryville.

Yes, they have plenty of bleachers.  The home side is definitely larger but there is adequate seating on the visitor side.  As I recall, it was a very decent venue.  Their track is around the field and the visitor bleachers are fairly far from the field. 

I recall that they had sets of smaller bleachers on either side of the main visitor bleachers.  Maybe they move them to the baseball field in the off season?  I do not have a dog in this fight but I think I am going to be a Clarke fan for this one...Union fans are starting to sound a lot like Richlunds or maybe Gate City!

I recall that they had sets of smaller bleachers on either side of the main visitor bleachers.  Maybe they move them to the baseball field in the off season?  I do not have a dog in this fight but I think I am going to be a Clarke fan for this one...Union fans are starting to sound a lot like Richlunds or maybe Gate City!

You mean all the teams with good football programs

No...I mean a bunch of grown men acting like Al Bundy...like grown men whose best days were on the High School football team...like grown men who think good football programs are relegated only to their immediate area...like grown men who probably still live in their momma's basement...like grown men who finally discovered how to cut and paste a pic...like grown men who have no original thought and have to cut and paste a response...like grown men who wore their high school letterman jacket to their wedding...like grown men who spend hours trying to download a picture of a high school field...I could keep going but the Steelers just scored and are kicking off...

No...I mean a bunch of grown men acting like Al Bundy...like grown men whose best days were on the High School football team...like grown men who think good football programs are relegated only to their immediate area...like grown men who probably still live in their momma's basement...like grown men who finally discovered how to cut and paste a pic...like grown men who have no original thought and have to cut and paste a response...like grown men who wore their high school letterman jacket to their wedding...like grown men who spend hours trying to download a picture of a high school field...I could keep going but the Steelers just scored and are kicking off...

Calm down buddy baseball season is right around the corner

Goose my man...you obviously do not know me very well...I do not get upset.  I just enjoy poking fun at those whose egos have inflated to the point of being dangerous to their health.  I was at first a bit stymied by the baseball reference.  I assume you are making a reference to the VHS program? 

I love my Bearcats but I have not been on the field in 30+ years so I do not live and die by their success or lack there of....but it would be nice to have a decent football program for a while...

Seriously, I always root for the SWVA team.  However, I now live in the East Rockingham district and my youngest is an 8th grader in that system.  

High school sports in general are out of control around here. Bob is spot on about Union-GC-Richlands. Throw in holding a kid back for HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS and the pretty blatant cheating going on with recruiting players and you've got a mess. And a mess is exactly what high school sports around here are.

It's a game played by 14-18 year olds. It's not life and death and people act like it is.

High school sports in general are out of control around here. Bob is spot on about Union-GC-Richlands. Throw in holding a kid back for HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS and the pretty blatant cheating going on with recruiting players and you've got a mess. And a mess is exactly what high school sports around here are.

It's a game played by 14-18 year olds. It's not life and death and people act like it is.

Are you really a swva fan then?

Goose my man...you obviously do not know me very well...I do not get upset.  I just enjoy poking fun at those whose egos have inflated to the point of being dangerous to their health.  I was at first a bit stymied by the baseball reference.  I assume you are making a reference to the VHS program? 

I love my Bearcats but I have not been on the field in 30+ years so I do not live and die by their success or lack there of....but it would be nice to have a decent football program for a while...

Seriously, I always root for the SWVA team.  However, I now live in the East Rockingham district and my youngest is an 8th grader in that system.

Same here bob, just a few friendly jabs. No harm.

Thanks Bearcat Bob for the helpful info! That's what I was after with the original post. I am totally in agreement with you on your comment about "some" Union fans verging on Richlands & GC level but  I can assure you that 90% of Union fans are NOT that way. Every town has their share of "those" types you mentioned (and btw, loved the comment about wearing your letterman jacket to your wedding!) It just seems as though the other 10% are the ones who man the message boards. I'm as big of a Union fan as there is, had one son play 4 years and another a freshman and I can promise we're not all bad!