Union @ Clarke Co

GoBearsGo

I wouldn't overlook them too much. Offense averages close to 40 points a game, defense has only allowed an average of 8 ppg. Only loss was to 4A Millbrook who lost in the playoffs by 2 tds to Undefeated #1 seed in 4A Jefferson Forrest. Not sure about how tough the rest of their schedule is which could hurt them. I'd say Union will be the 2nd best team they've faced this season

They've lost one game. I wouldn't sleep on Clarke and Union has to travel over 350 miles coming off an emotional win over Glenvar.

From talk on here injuries seem to be taking a toll on Union. I was at yesterday's game and noticed they lost an offensive lineman too. Number 50 did play the whole game despite reports on here.

How are those guys? Union struggles to stop the run and that seems to be Clarke's strong point.

Of course if the quarterback continues to hit 19 of 21 passes they'll win the state title. What they run is impossible to defend at this level when ran correctly.

Looking at their schedule on VHSL-Reference they have beaten 3 0-10 teams and 3 2-8 teams, definitely doesn't say much about strength of schedule. But we all know you don't get to the state semis and not be a good team. I'm a "homer" but I like the Bears chances!

I wouldn't overlook them too much. Offense averages close to 40 points a game, defense has only allowed an average of 8 ppg. Only loss was to 4A Millbrook who lost in the playoffs by 2 tds to Undefeated #1 seed in 4A Jefferson Forrest. Not sure about how tough the rest of their schedule is which could hurt them. I'd say Union will be the 2nd best team they've faced this season

Soft schedule. Terrible district. If Union goes up and played Union football, they'll win by 4+ TDs. 

Interesting game for sure. It's not every day you see the single wing, but in CC's case, it's not every day that you face a team with 3 large, athletic WR, a couple of good RB, and a QB who can not only get the football to those WR, but can make plays with his feet as well. That's a long haul for Union to make, and I suppose they will go up the day before. No idea how many fans Union will bring, but from looking at a Google Earth shot of their stadium (extremely small on both sides), I'd say the Bears will have as many or more fans than CC. My wife has to work, but I may make the drive up from Kingsport myself. Their Hudl page doesn't really have team highlights, but a few individual clips are there.

http://www.hudl.com/team/29282

Here's the Google Earth pic of the stadium. I think I will throw a lawn chair in the truck.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.160662,-78.0005824,99m/data=!3m1!1e3

They've lost one game. I wouldn't sleep on Clarke and Union has to travel over 350 miles coming off an emotional win over Glenvar.

From talk on here injuries seem to be taking a toll on Union. I was at yesterday's game and noticed they lost an offensive lineman too. Number 50 did play the whole game despite reports on here.

How are those guys? Union struggles to stop the run and that seems to be Clarke's strong point.

Of course if the quarterback continues to hit 19 of 21 passes they'll win the state title. What they run is impossible to defend at this level when ran correctly.

As I'm hearing now, very preliminary, #50 and #13 are a go for next week. #50 wore a brace(don't know if you noticed it or not, but it almost came down to his elbow from his shoulder) during the Glenvar game, and it definitely seemed to help. #13 should be able to play with a brace next week as well. Not sure about #52, but like GoBearsGo said we have a couple of really good reserve lineman that can and did step in without missing a beat.

Union has ALWAYS struggled against the run because of their "philosophy". It is a bend don't break defense. Over 5 seasons, they have given up very few long plays. They're not very aggressive and they never sell out to the run or pass unless that is all that team can do. 

With that line, Glenvar was going to pick up yards on anybody though, and Manns was a good back. Lee High's line was just as big and their back got more rushing yards on Appomattox in one drive than he did against the Bears the whole game IIRC. So, they are capable.

Spears(QB) had a GREAT game yesterday. If he plays like that next week, it will be a joyous ride back to BSG. I don't know if you have seen Union play this year, but that was a first. They have yet to run the QB like that in a single game. I think it caught Glenvar by surprise, it did me.

I am worried about the misdirection of the single wing. Maybe our lack of aggression on D will come in handy for once.

As I'm hearing now, very preliminary, #50 and #13 are a go for next week. #50 wore a brace(don't know if you noticed it or not, but it almost came down to his elbow from his shoulder) during the Glenvar game, and it definitely seemed to help. #13 should be able to play with a brace next week as well. Not sure about #52, but like GoBearsGo said we have a couple of really good reserve lineman that can and did step in without missing a beat.

Union has ALWAYS struggled against the run because of their "philosophy". It is a bend don't break defense. Over 5 seasons, they have given up very few long plays. They're not very aggressive and they never sell out to the run or pass unless that is all that team can do.

With that line, Glenvar was going to pick up yards on anybody though, and Manns was a good back. Lee High's line was just as big and their back got more rushing yards on Appomattox in one drive than he did against the Bears the whole game IIRC. So, they are capable.

Spears(QB) had a GREAT game yesterday. If he plays like that next week, it will be a joyous ride back to BSG. I don't know if you have seen Union play this year, but that was a first. They have yet to run the QB like that in a single game. I think it caught Glenvar by surprise, it did me.

I am worried about the misdirection of the single wing. Maybe our lack of aggression on D will come in handy for once.

I have yet to see Union play this season. I was hoping Richlands would pill out the win so that Union would be at home next week. Hopefully they will get past Clarke so that I can watch them in Salem

Interesting game for sure. It's not every day you see the single wing, but in CC's case, it's not every day that you face a team with 3 large, athletic WR, a couple of good RB, and a QB who can not only get the football to those WR, but can make plays with his feet as well. That's a long haul for Union to make, and I suppose they will go up the day before. No idea how many fans Union will bring, but from looking at a Google Earth shot of their stadium (extremely small on both sides), I'd say the Bears will have as many or more fans than CC. My wife has to work, but I may make the drive up from Kingsport myself. Their Hudl page doesn't really have team highlights, but a few individual clips are there.

http://www.hudl.com/team/29282

Here's the Google Earth pic of the stadium. I think I will throw a lawn chair in the truck.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.160662,-78.0005824,99m/data=!3m1!1e3

Most of the East schools in the 1A/2A level have poor stadiums. That's why some west schools try getting the semi game moved to a bigger school on the east side

According to VHSL-Reference's RPI rating for 2A, through 11 games, Appo, Union, Richlands , and Glenvar are #s 1-4. Clarke Co is #20. RPI is a better SOS rating, IMO, because it measures opponents' opponents' records as well.

Anybody can look good beating up on an 0-10 team or a 9-1 team that has only beaten 0-10 teams. When you're killing opponents who also have a tough schedule then it shows something.

The players will definitely go up on Friday and spend the night, so I'm not worried about the drive having any effect. These kids are on a mission. Seeing their reaction the past two weeks, this means something to them. They WANT this bad. In previous seasons, some acted like football was just something to do until basketball, but this team is dedicated 100%. VERY proud fan here!

I'm greatly looking forward to this! Union is on a mission and the players are very determined. I can not wait to see them play again. I hope the injuries clean themselves up and we're healthy. Does anyone know of any attractions in Berryville? I'd like something to do Friday evening. Lol

I'm greatly looking forward to this! Union is on a mission and the players are very determined. I can not wait to see them play again. I hope the injuries clean themselves up and we're healthy. Does anyone know of any attractions in Berryville? I'd like something to do Friday evening. Lol

its about a hour and half from Baltimore 😅

These kids are on a mission. Seeing their reaction the past two weeks, this means something to them. They WANT this bad. In previous seasons, some acted like football was just something to do until basketball, but this team is dedicated 100%. VERY proud fan here!

Agree with this 100%

If you're a history buff, Harper's Ferry is very close.

I'd guess that the fan ratio will be about like it was at Nandua in 1996. They let PV have the home side stands, while Northampton probably had around 300 or so on the visitors side. In the past, I have watched PV, Appy, JJK, Clintwood and Gate City win state titles away from home, and in every case, had more fans than the opposition. There's no other area in the state who follows their teams like the SWVA folks.