Union @ Clarke Co

GoBearsGo

Union missed out on home field by playing Eastside. No disrespect to Eastside but I don't know why Union played them. An easy win over a 1A team did not help out at all. Burton was an easy 1A win but won out the regular season afterwards. My advice to Union in light of that is to just tough out the 6 hour ride over and take care of business, which I think they will do. I do believe they are bringing a pep band over and are staying all night on Friday. I wouldn't doubt it if the football team were staying Friday night as well. I think Washington, DC is about an hour from Berryville. Go see the nation's capital on Friday. 

Best advice is to do your best and respectfully show Clarke County what SWVA football is all about and get it done. 

1.  I can not say or comment anything on games being moved to neutral sites.  I don't like it.  I was very outspoken last year when Auburn convinced the VHSL to move the 1A West volleyball semis from Rye Cove to a more centralized location in Marion.  Auburn was that good and could have beaten Rye Cove in Clinchport and not been a douche about it.  It's no secret that Jimbo tried to get the Haysi/Burton playoff games the last couple of years moved to UVA-Wise, pretty much giving THEM the home game and not us.  That and some other comments he's made over the years, will never get me to pull for Burton as long as he's a coach there.  I'm thrilled Galax beat the crap out of them.  Robbins tried to do the same back in '05 when PV had to come to Haysi.  Granted, I will admittedly say that we stole home field advantage that year by beating Letcher Central who was in their first year of competition... however, by the system, we earned that right.  Nobody from Haysi that I am aware of complained one bit about the potential of having to play Essex on their field.  The VHSL moved the game.  At halftime Saturday in BSG, I heard some Union fans whining about the possibility of having to make this trip.  Accept it.  Make the trip, take care of business (like I know the Bears will :-)) and don't whine about it.  Appomattox stole home field by beating a 4A team the final week of the season.  Next year, if you want home field, maybe you should try to schedule someone tougher in week 8 instead of Eastside.  I was furious about 3 minutes into the Ridgeview/Jenkins game in week 1 when it became readily apparent how terrible a team we had scheduled... and apparently play again next season because playing teams like give you a win and 16 points and that's basically it.

Nothing wrong with that statement. I cringed when I saw Eastside on the schedule, but I'm reasonably sure we scheduled them for two reasons. 1. Matt Hamilton had been wanting Union since 2011, 2. Union has a difficult time finding teams to play. However, we did get 21 points for beating them. Only got 20 for John battle.

I see nothing wrong with home field "rights". I like the cross-bracketing. Do I really want to travel 6 hours to Berryville? No. I'm I going to? Heck yea! Looking forward to it!

On a side note. I have heard nothing but positive talk from Union people about Ridgeview. We consolidated, and an overwhelming majority have been happy with the results. I think everyone this way have been very happy for the facilities that you guys got. Only negative is the dread once you guys get rolling! ;)

I'm already here, in the stands right now wating for Saturday lol JK. Ready to watch union fans take over even from 6 hours away. ;)))))

^ yet more proof that Union fans are unemployed 40 somethings that never moved on from high school  

j/k

^ yet more proof that Union fans are unemployed 40 somethings that never moved on from high school  

j/k

coal mines shut down and we all lost our jobs and are in the unemployment line pretty much

coal mines shut down and we all lost our jobs and are in the unemployment line pretty much

Go look in the parking lot at Union...somebody is working. I see BMW's, big ass Chevy 4x4, Challengers, Highlanders, etc...unemployment paying that good now? Lol!

Nothing wrong with that statement. I cringed when I saw Eastside on the schedule, but I'm reasonably sure we scheduled them for two reasons. 1. Matt Hamilton had been wanting Union since 2011, 2. Union has a difficult time finding teams to play. However, we did get 21 points for beating them. Only got 20 for John battle.

I see nothing wrong with home field "rights". I like the cross-bracketing. Do I really want to travel 6 hours to Berryville? No. I'm I going to? Heck yea! Looking forward to it!

On a side note. I have heard nothing but positive talk from Union people about Ridgeview. We consolidated, and an overwhelming majority have been happy with the results. I think everyone this way have been very happy for the facilities that you guys got. Only negative is the dread once you guys get rolling! ;)

Thank you sir.  I am slightly disappointed with our visitors seating at the football stadium, but as of yet, noone has even come close to filling the visitors side, even Gate City, who I thought would fill the visitors side and then some.  Maybe next season, Union can be the first to fill up that side and we could get a drone fly over to take a picture of a full stadium.  That's one picture I would pay money for.

I still haven't seen the gymnasium yet except from some very vague pictures.  I'd like to get to at least one home game this year just to see it.

Im excited for Union, just giving you guys a hard time. I myself was at Haysis playoff games at least 3 hours early.

havoc, I haven't been to a basketball game in a couple of years but im gonna try to make it to a couple of Ridgeviews games this season.

Im excited for Union, just giving you guys a hard time. I myself was at Haysis playoff games at least 3 hours early.

havoc, I haven't been to a basketball game in a couple of years but im gonna try to make it to a couple of Ridgeviews games this season.

I went last year to Holston and Northwood, because for me living in Bristol, they were more like home games for me.  I also went to the Crooked Road conference tournament at Northwood and to the region game at Radford.  I also went to the final game ever vs. Council.

Yeah, my dad always asks why I go to the games so early.  1.  To get a premium parking space. 2. To get a seat. 3. To socialize with people and friends before the game.

Come on up bob we'll save u a seat, need all the fans we can get

He should come and pull for SWVA. Totally wish I could be there. A six hour drive 3 weeks from Christmas when I have to drive 10 hours to Florida and see my parents and sisters is not a good idea. 

Here's the latest rumor from the Valley...

Word has it that someone from Union complained to the VHSL that Clarke's stadium only seated 2200.  The VHSL requires at least 2500 for a semi final game so...Clarke has acquired bleachers from surrounding schools to stretch from light pole to light pole on the visitors side, increasing seating capacity to 3000+.  There is a lot of standing room around the end zones but they reportedly do not allow spectators to stand on the track.

Here's the latest rumor from the Valley...

Word has it that someone from Union complained to the VHSL that Clarke's stadium only seated 2200.  The VHSL requires at least 2500 for a semi final game so...Clarke has acquired bleachers from surrounding schools to stretch from light pole to light pole on the visitors side, increasing seating capacity to 3000+.  There is a lot of standing room around the end zones but they reportedly do not allow spectators to stand on the track.

thanks for clarifying

i know room rates in surrounding areas went up from saturday to monday as well

I still think that if you are spending Friday night, Front Royal is a better option than Winchester (cost wise).  I am trying to get out of a commitment Saturday so I can make it up to Berryville...just so I can see the spectacle of Berryville being overrun.

One last tidbit of information...

One of the biggest and best gun shows is being held this weekend at the Prince William Fairgrounds over in Manassas.  It is about an hour away from Berryville but if you have never been to this show, it is something to see.  I always leave there with a bit of new "hardware". 

One last tidbit of information...

One of the biggest and best gun shows is being held this weekend at the Prince William Fairgrounds over in Manassas. It is about an hour away from Berryville but if you have never been to this show, it is something to see. I always leave there with a bit of new "hardware".

Now your talking. Lol. Thanks

Sometimes it's hard to schedule who you would want. Ridgeview scheduled Jenkins Ky. because they got a late start on the scheduling due to the hold up of announcing the coach/athletic director after consolidation even though every week at the end of last year the newspaper articles about Haysi mentioned that James Colley wasn't going to coach anymore. I'm sure not many teams are standing in line to schedule Union.