Question to Richlands Fans

LongTimeSWVAFan

After seeing both teams play Appo has tons of speed on both sides of the ball power rush on D the only way Union could possibly beat them is middle screens using the a tight End or R-back out of the back field across the middle. Against Richlands the middle was there but for some crazy reason they never even spotted that it, I personally talked to some great coaches that were also at that game and they couldn't believe Richland's didn't spot it. But Union has a lot of heart and must give it 100% on every play, and play 4 quarters and don't loose track of what they are doing and the same goes for the Coaches. and play to win . But Union must beat Clark Co. and that my friend will not be easy! Go Bears !

I have the highest regard for coach Mance and the whole staff,  but i just could not understand why we didn't use Landon more in the passing game especially over the middle.  The few times they did throw to him this year it always worked and made pretty good chunks of yards.

I wasn't able to go to the game because of a injury to my knee,  but from what I have been told from several that went,  that play to Landon would have been there several different times,  but who am I to question any thing the coaches did or didn't do.  

I played,  but I have never coached and had to make those sort of calls in a game and it's always so easy for me or anybody else to say how they would have done things different.

I love our coaching staff and they have taken us to a level I never thought we would be at several years ago.

Back in the 70's and 80's we were happy if we just made the playoff's so they have done a lot of great things here and I hope they will for years to come.

With all that said,  I still can't help but wonder what could have been if we would have thrown the ball to landon at least a couple of times in situations when we needed to move the sticks.  But there could have been things going on in the game that I have no idea about that the coaches did know and that's why they didn't use Landon over the middle. 

Idk about the play calling, I wasn't there and sometimes things aren't as simple as they seem but just from seeing them a couple of weeks ago I can say I would have a hard time keeping #8 off the field on Offense. Big kid with athleticism and from what I understand can catch. Add #27 to that, looks like a natural born FB to me. I understand being based in the Spread and if that's what you believe in then run it but I couldn't do it lol That being said I would probably use them too much and wear them down lol

After watching that, two things stick out in my head.  1-Richlands not having a heavy running set to go to in order to salt games away cost them big time...with their talent, it's beyond my comprehension why they don't have one.  2-The way high school teams line up their corners now days allowing a free release to the inside of the field just blows my mind.  It's not the NFL, and it ain't even college...challenge the WR and run with him on the outside..he ain't Randy Moss.  IMO, those are the two factors that cost the Blues that ballgame.  As far as Appomattox goes, I was impressed but a little underwhelmed, too...I was expecting much more than I saw..they are beatable.

• 2 weeks later...

I think White has the tools to be a very capable running back.  I think it was last year when Dylan Elswick ran the ball some, when the subs came in to play "mop up" duty, and I was impressed with him.  Blankenship is going to be a hard one to replace, but somewhere in the "tool shed" Coach Mance manages to find one. 

Coach Mance and his staff  seem to have the ability to find the right player that fits and fills the role the Blues need.  That is why the Blues have been so consistent year after year.  Talent is an asset, no question, but being able to find that intrinsic in a player and mold him into a playmaker goes a long way in rebuilding year after year.

GO BLUES!!!!!