Virginia Tech 70, Virginia 68 FINAL

UVAO there is still a lot of basketball to be played and things will definitely change but as of now I see a lot of bad matchups for UVA...but as i've said a lot of basketball still to be played and you have a great coach that will get things right

I hope Tony did nothing at practice today but show the film from the 2014 ACC Championship Game. I hope he demanded the entire room to watch silently. And I hope he said the following:

"You guys haven't been truly hungry since you did this. You will decide how far you will or will not go, but to be as good as you can be, you have to be hungry and want it as badly as you did that day. You better think long and hard tonight about how hungry you really are. I'll see you tomorrow."

Yes i'm a VT fan geez....my problem is a player saying stuff to fans(who some are probably drunk and saying way worse than he did)

The only people I saw drinking before the game were WVU fans who were tailgating.  I've never known of any VT fans who tailgate for basketball...unless you want to count the upper crust of the Hokie Club who like to make a pre-game appearance in the Bowman Room...

Random observations about Williams and Bennett....

The genius of Buzz (at least at this point) seems to be his ability to motivate his players to play beyond themselves.  Assuming he attracts more talent to Blacksburg, it will be interesting to see if and how he makes adjustments to his coaching style to compensate for the difference in personnel.  Based on his career to date, the Sweet Sixteen appears to be his ceiling -- which would be an extraordinary and much appreciated level of accomplishment for Tech if he can duplicate that kind of success.  But it is way, way, way too early to even speculate about the likelihood of getting that far.  

I think Bennett is certainly within a very exclusive circle of extraordinary coaches -- and the talent that he is able to assemble in Charlottesville on a consistent basis is ample testimony to that.  However, it is perplexing that he can't seem to budge that talent toward a breakthrough at the highest level.  Their recent exits from the NCAA tournament have been a result of simple bad breaks, being outmuscled, and/or faltering down the stretch -- which irritates me personally because they've been wrecking my brackets -- and as a Hokie fan, that kind of academic exercise is the only level of tournament participation I get to enjoy for the foreseeable future.  (Of course, the first year that I don't pencil them in the Final Four will probably be the year they win it all.)

As an admittedly simple minded Hokie, I'll offer a football analogy.  UVa's basketball program seems to be occupying a similar position to that of the Tech football program from 1995 through 2000.  With just a few positive breaks, the talent and opportunities appear to be there for the 'Hoos to acquire some serious trophy hardware -- but those breaks haven't materialized.  I would imagine that the fact that this isn't new or novel for UVa fans (they've been there before -- and actually farther -- with Holland) probably doesn't work much in Bennett's favor.  

The impact of the Hokies on UVa (to the extent that there is any) is probably similar to that of Pitt on our football team during the time frame that I referenced.  A nice win for my guys, and I'll certainly savor it.  But beyond some unique challenges faced by both head coaches and the fact that they are conference mates, these two programs still operate within very separate planes of existence right now.

I think Bennett is certainly within a very exclusive circle of extraordinary coaches -- and the talent that he is able to assemble in Charlottesville on a consistent basis is ample testimony to that.  However, it is perplexing that he can't seem to budge that talent toward a breakthrough at the highest level.  Their recent exits from the NCAA tournament have been a result of simple bad breaks, being outmuscled, and/or faltering down the stretch -- which irritates me personally because they've been wrecking my brackets -- and as a Hokie fan, that kind of academic exercise is the only level of tournament participation I get to enjoy for the foreseeable future.  (Of course, the first year that I don't pencil them in the Final Four will probably be the year they win it all.)

As an admittedly simple minded Hokie, I'll offer a football analogy.  UVa's basketball program seems to be occupying a similar position to that of the Tech football program from 1995 through 2000.  With just a few positive breaks, the talent and opportunities appear to be there for the 'Hoos to acquire some serious trophy hardware -- but those breaks haven't materialized.  I would imagine that the fact that this isn't new or novel for UVa fans (they've been there before -- and actually farther -- with Holland) probably doesn't work much in Bennett's favor.  

Here's my explanation, which is probably wrong:

Tony has often said that while he learned his basketball prowess from his father, he inherited his mother's disposition and temperament.  Dick Bennett was a fiery perfectionist, so much so that he doesn't watch basketball games today because he gets too wound up about all the errors made in college basketball.  Tony has been extremely even-keeled, with the exception of the Maryland game at home in 2010 where the officials straight up jobbed UVA out of a win, and he received a T for taking his jacket off and throwing it on the ground.  

One thing that I notice most about Virginia is how unfazed the team is by any situation.  The vast majority of the time, this is a good thing: it leads to UVA robotically throttling inferior teams and having the perseverance to whittle into leads and win games when other teams crack under the pressure.  They are every bit as calm and collected playing Morgan State as they are playing Duke.  However, I think that works against UVA when playing disciplined (MSU) and intense (VT) teams.  My favorite example of this comes from last year's game against MSU.  I had fifth row seats to that thing, so I could see more detail than I otherwise might.  The entire team, except for Darion Atkins, looked cool to the point of being emotionless (Atkins had earlier compared the game to a "dick-swinging contest", which is one of the greatest descriptors I've ever heard).  The entire team, except for Darion Atkins, stunk up the Queen City with their offensive effort.  One of the most frustrated times of my fandom was seeing London Perrantes walk the ball up the court, under 2:00 to play, down 9.  No urgency whatsoever.  That's the flip side.

Brian O'Connor was cut from a similar bolt of cloth.  Gaudy win totals against elite competition, but postseason chokes, especially in 2014.  The 2015 season went poorly, but a late surge (and a sweep over fellow bubble contender UNC) helped put UVA in the field.  O'Connor loosened way up...and the team started winning and never stopped.  O'Connor changed that season, and the team made a historic run for it. 

Long story short, it's mental and behavioral.  The vast majority of the time, it's a good thing.  Occasionally, it's not.

The only people I saw drinking before the game were WVU fans who were tailgating.  I've never known of any VT fans who tailgate for basketball...unless you want to count the upper crust of the Hokie Club who like to make a pre-game appearance in the Bowman Room...

I was talking about the UVA game when I talked about the drunks....I'm sure with a 9:00pm tip there were VT fans maybe not drunk but had drank before the game at BW3's or Bull and Bones or somewhere and i'm sure they were yelling stuff at Perrantes a lot worse than what he was saying to them...Now if he yelled vulgar stuff back at them then I apologize and he should have been taken out of the game

And if you don't think VT fans drink before a game and others do then you clearly are biased and don't want to see it.....hell my buddies drank before the WVU game and it was at noon....you think for a 9pm game all the VT fans stayed sober? if so i'm sorry

If UVA keeps losing ACC games like this they'll be the biggest disappointment of this conference basketball season.

We have a lot of issues. So long as we don't drop more than 10 ACC games, we'll still be in the NCAA field. I'm just hoping this team has a little 2015 Virginia Baseball in it.

This one is on FSU's SID, who did not take one single question from FSU's media, and spent the entire 8-minute segment coming back to the same UVA writers.

Schoffel particularly has been wholly discredited. A complete non-story.