Richlands vs Union, Any thoughts?

E.Z.DOES.IT

Yes SWVa_havok_fan. What kind of a name is that anyway. It will be difficult for our LADY BEARS to win the regular season. They are playing strong enough to win the tourney though.

It would be a waste for us not to be in the region tourney. Neither Central or GC deserve to be there and Ridgeview doesn't have a clue what awaits them out there in the postseason. You aren't in Group A Kansas anymore havok. Our LADY BEARS and BEARS teams are ready to continue the postseason success here at THE U!!

And this my friends is why I've all but quit posting on these boards.. It always turns into "my team's better than yours, your team sucks, my team will win, mine is bigger than yours!" Just don't get why there can't be civil debate on HS sports. Fact of the matter is they are teenagers, anybody can beat anybody on a given night.

And btw.. Ridgeview does have an excellent facility for basketball! Nothing at all like Va High though. My only drawback was that when Union was there for "super" they played the JV games in the small gym and it was way to small and tight. I'm not a fan of "supers" anyway but especially in a case like that. I liked what Union/Richlands did with starting the Saturday "super" at 2pm, of course during the week that's not possible.

Your the one that gets butt hurt over someone contradicting anything you say or heaven forbid someone say anything but praise about the almighty blues. First off you get on hear and talk up the "dream team" that has not beat ONE team worth a crap and expect no one to say anything about that. 2nd I can probably name 10 to 12 gyms off the top of my head without much effort that is equal to or bigger that Richlands.

There is nothing wrong with being wrong... you just have to learn how to take it better

Go find a post by me this season referring to them as the "dream team." I don't call them that. I call them Richlands. GMan and some others have referred to them as that moniker, but I damn sure don't. I don't get on here and talk up how great they are. In fact, I've said they are a year away from being a good SWVA team. Because they are. They are the second best team in the SEC this year behind Graham, and they are behind Gate City and Union. I'm not delusional. I know we can't win the region or state or anything else. I also know that we have lost to both Graham and Union on their home courts, so I'm interested to see how it goes when they make the trip to Richlands this week/next week.

As for gyms, I said its one of the better ones (with respect to seating) that I've been in. There's no need to get on here and act like you're better than anyone else because you've seen more gyms than someone else has. It's hard enough for me to get to games right now since I live in Blacksburg, so you'll definitely see way more gyms this season than I will. Congrats!!

And btw.. Ridgeview does have an excellent facility for basketball! Nothing at all like Va High though. My only drawback was that when Union was there for "super" they played the JV games in the small gym and it was way to small and tight. I'm not a fan of "supers" anyway but especially in a case like that. I liked what Union/Richlands did with starting the Saturday "super" at 2pm, of course during the week that's not possible.

We call them "quads" at Richlands and we play them all in a row. We do it during the week sometimes, starting the JV Girls at 4pm and going from there. I like that better than having the JV games in a different gym.

Agreed Ryan.. We have then during the week also starting at 4pm in most cases. Just makes for a long evening on uncomfortable bleachers! I'm not a fan at all of having JV and V in different gyms at the same time. At Ridgeview I missed the girls varsity game because it was played at the same time as boys JV.

And this my friends is why I've all but quit posting on these boards.. It always turns into "my team's better than yours, your team sucks, my team will win, mine is bigger than yours!" Just don't get why there can't be civil debate on HS sports. Fact of the matter is they are teenagers, anybody can beat anybody on a given night.

I have gotten along with most all Union fans this year, so didn't mean any disrespect to you by stating that Ridgeview girls were better.  This GamedayInMountainDistrict cat however... doesn't see reality very well.  Just saying.  Lol.

Agreed Ryan.. We have then during the week also starting at 4pm in most cases. Just makes for a long evening on uncomfortable bleachers! I'm not a fan at all of having JV and V in different gyms at the same time. At Ridgeview I missed the girls varsity game because it was played at the same time as boys JV.

Most schools nowadays are heading the direction of the two gym formats for JV and Varsity, I guess because parents took to Twitter and complained about kids getting back so late during a mid week super (the example that comes to mind off the top of my head is John Battle getting back from Lee High midweek at like 2 am on a school night, I think.)... Off the top of my head, I can name us, Gate City, Virginia High and Northwood off the top of my head.

John Battle getting back from Lee High midweek at like 2 am on a school night.

#1-  That would have happened if the Varsity game started at 7:30 PM.

#2-  Who are the dumasses that scheduled a midweek quad for two teams that are two hours by school bus away from each other???

Go find a post by me this season referring to them as the "dream team." I don't call them that. I call them Richlands. GMan and some others have referred to them as that moniker, but I damn sure don't. I don't get on here and talk up how great they are. In fact, I've said they are a year away from being a good SWVA team. Because they are. They are the second best team in the SEC this year behind Graham, and they are behind Gate City and Union. I'm not delusional. I know we can't win the region or state or anything else. I also know that we have lost to both Graham and Union on their home courts, so I'm interested to see how it goes when they make the trip to Richlands this week/next week.

As for gyms, I said its one of the better ones (with respect to seating) that I've been in. There's no need to get on here and act like you're better than anyone else because you've seen more gyms than someone else has. It's hard enough for me to get to games right now since I live in Blacksburg, so you'll definitely see way more gyms this season than I will. Congrats!!

You said it was one of the bigger ones go read it. All I was saying was that was false. Plain and simple. Not once was I trying to act like I was better than anyone because im not. I'm sure there are plenty in the area that have been to way more gyms than I have. As for the "dream team" next year can't get here soon enough.

"Graham will also lose Miller and Clarke.... all good players, but the bench players coming up are just as good. Add in a few more quality players coming up from JV, next year's Graham team should be tough....but year after next should be Graham's year, when Dalton is a senior and Allen, Cooper, Baker and the rest of the crew are juniors... Couple of really good looking sophomores on the JV squad as well that will be seniors... a couple of kids with good size, the Workman kid and the Fields kid come to mind. Lots of athleticism on the JV as well. They are fun to watch.

Richlands JV is 11-1. That one loss is to Graham. These two teams will be fine in the future."

Richlands and Graham won't have anything to match Union next year. Gate City graduates a whole bunch of seniors and doesn't have anything coming on their JV. They were lucky to beat our JV when they played us here last time. Put our JV players with Slagle who is a freshman and a few other returning players and we will own the Mountain District next year.

We killed Abingdon by the way RiverRat24. If Abingdon had any chance to beat you at all then I'm predicting a home blowout of our BEARS over your Devils in a bad way in Gate City.

I will even predict a sweep of our girls and boys winning both of the JV and the Varsity games.

I will then predict our LADY BEARS and BEARS JV and Varsity team to win the regular season and the tournament championships on OUR home floor.

Other than the Varsity girls team beating Abingdon I heard all the other teams were very unimpressive the other night.

The run of years of the title going through Gate City is about to close.

The new road to future championships runs through Union HS!

Go Bears!!

GC returns 3 starters... McClung(Soph), Ervin(Fresh), and Collier(Jr). And the same players on the JV squad that beat Union will just so happen be the same boys moving up to Varsity. So don't kid yourself with Union dominating BS. Ridgeview will also be good next year....and I'm betting Central and Battle won't be anything to sneeze at either in the MD. Also, Richlands and Graham will be really good too.

GC beat Abingdon by 25 the first time they played at Abingdon....Union beat them by 24. The Falcons were a much better team this time around and their coach made changes accordingly to slow us down. I mean Union struggled with Ridgeview the first time around and barely squeaked away with the win in OT....then GC beat them by 33....and that was with the starters being pulled for the whole 4th period. All signs seemed to lead to the fact GC should have won easily against Union in their matchup.....but the common opponent transient properties is garbage and never works.

But none of what I just said will make any sense because your the biggest troll to ever grace the board. Lol Always trying to rustle someones jimmies with pure nonsense.

Havoc.. wasn't directing that at you at all but rather good ol' Gameday. I'm more of a Union guy than most but I'm realistic too! And I agree with you 100%, no doubt Ridgeview is the best girls team in the area. The comment about "next season" is way off. Union will be good, there's 3-4 kids on the JV team that will fit well with Mitchell and Slagle but no need to send trophies right away! Lol... That's the joy of HS sports, every team loses good players and someone has to step up! Nobody knows who that will be, that's why they play the games!

You said it was one of the bigger ones go read it. All I was saying was that was false. Plain and simple. Not once was I trying to act like I was better than anyone because im not. I'm sure there are plenty in the area that have been to way more gyms than I have. As for the "dream team" next year can't get here soon enough.

"Richlands gym is one of the biggest I have seen" I HAVE SEEN being the key words in that statement. I never claimed it was the biggest. Just one of the bigger ones that I have been into in my limited time following the basketball team.

Gym Capacity - According to the VHSL School Directory

Tazewell 3,200

Lee 2,500

Virginia 2,500

Lebanon 2,400

Graham 2,300

Richlands 2,300

Ridgeview 2,250

Gate City 2,000

Hurley 2,000

Marion 2,000

Abingdon  1,800

Galax 1,800

Castlewood 1,640

Honaker 1,600

Twin Springs 1,600

Twin Valley 1,600

Central-Wise 1,500

Council 1,500

John Battle 1,500

Union 1,500

Fort Chiswell 1,200

Giles 1,200

Grundy 1,200

J.I. Burton 1,200

Northwood 1,200

Patrick Henry-GS 1,200

Radford 1,200

Chilhowie 1,100

George Wythe 1,040

Grayson Co. 1,000

Holston 1,000

Narrows 1,000

Eastside 900

Rye Cove 900

Thomas Walker 900

Rural Retreat 800

Bland Co.  500

I would think Castlewood's and Virginia High's gym would seat more...

In my opinon, my favorite gyms in SWVA are, in no particular order - Tazewell, Castlewood, Honaker, Marion, Va High, Clintwood, and Hurley Middle School. 

I honestly liked Richlands before they redid it besides the floor, but that's my personal opinion. 

#1- That would have happened if the Varsity game started at 7:30 PM.

#2- Who are the dumasses that scheduled a midweek quad for two teams that are two hours by school bus away from each other???

I can top that, 4 times I was at clincho middle school for the district tourney in one week.

I would think Castlewood's and Virginia High's gym would seat more...

In my opinon, my favorite gyms in SWVA are, in no particular order - Tazewell, Castlewood, Honaker, Marion, Va High, Clintwood, and Hurley Middle School. 

I honestly liked Richlands before they redid it besides the floor, but that's my personal opinion. 

I was surprised at Lebanon's seating capacity...that place is a dump.  If V-High didn't have chairbacks, they could seat twice as many.

The numbers are listed above...care to argue???

yes, why was Thomas walker "one of the smallest schools" a region satellite and district host for so many years, if it was one of the smallest schools. Seems odd and idiotic on that decisions behalf

I hope they are not counting the upper deck

Gym Capacity - According to the VHSL School Directory

Tazewell 3,200

Lee 2,500

Virginia 2,500

Lebanon 2,400

Graham 2,300

Richlands 2,300

Ridgeview 2,250

Gate City 2,000

Hurley 2,000

Marion 2,000

Abingdon  1,800

Galax 1,800

Castlewood 1,640

Honaker 1,600

Twin Springs 1,600

Twin Valley 1,600

Central-Wise 1,500

Council 1,500

John Battle 1,500

Union 1,500

Fort Chiswell 1,200

Giles 1,200

Grundy 1,200

J.I. Burton 1,200

Northwood 1,200

Patrick Henry-GS 1,200

Radford 1,200

Chilhowie 1,100

George Wythe 1,040

Grayson Co. 1,000

Holston 1,000

Narrows 1,000

Eastside 900

Rye Cove 900

Thomas Walker 900

Rural Retreat 800

Bland Co.  500

Thank you for the numbers. 

I said Richlands has one of the bigger ones I had seen with my own eyes. The gyms I've seen since 2006 are: Richlands, Tazewell, Graham, Grundy, Lebanon, Va. High, Hurley, Haysi, Marion, Honaker, Twin Valley, Counsil, Union, Holston.

By the numbers above, that puts Richlands gym as "one of the larger ones I have seen." Never said it was the biggest, just that it was a decently sized one. 

Numbers don't lie.