Richlands vs Union, Any thoughts?

E.Z.DOES.IT

That last week they literally play 4 games in 4 days. Starting with Graham and ending with Bluefield. This will be a definitive stretch for this team. 

Graham has 8 games in 10 days, including four in a row (9th-12th)...going to be a difficult finish for both teams.  Neither team may have any gas left for the post season...

The Good thing about Graham is the deep bench.  Curto, Allen, Dalton, Martin and Cooper are really impressive coming off of the bench, they don't lose a step.  Sometimes one or more of them will start the game.  They all get a lot of playing time and Graham substitutes liberally.  

Dalton is really coming along, he's not really tall, about 6' 3",  but he plays bigger than he is.  I am very impressed with that young man and he is just a sophomore.

All of the area teams will be squeezing a lot of games in a short period of time, the fact that Graham is so deep bodes well for them.

Several good ball players coming up from JV next year, perhaps the best Point Guard out of all of them in Baker.

I think anytime richlands and union play a sporting event picking Union by 1 point would be a smart bet

Apparently all these two schools know how to do is produce classics. Even the girls varsity game last night was a 1 point game before Richlands had to start fouling with about 90 seconds to go.

The Good thing about Graham is the deep bench. Curto, Allen, Dalton, Martin and Cooper are really impressive coming off of the bench, they don't lose a step. Sometimes one or more of them will start the game. They all get a lot of playing time and Graham substitutes liberally.

Dalton is really coming along, he's not really tall, about 6' 3", but he plays bigger than he is. I am very impressed with that young man and he is just a sophomore.

All of the area teams will be squeezing a lot of games in a short period of time, the fact that Graham is so deep bodes well for them.

Several good ball players coming up from JV next year, perhaps the best Point Guard out of all of them in Baker.

Richlands is the same way. We played 11 guys last night at one point or another. And any of them possess the ability to get hot and light up the gym.

This SEC tournament will be fun. Barring some sort of crazy upset, it should be Graham and Richlands advancing.

Wait I'm confused was this game pretty much the state championship game or will that be next Saturday? Do they play again this season after that? I know how Richlands likes playing in those mythical state championship games.....

Wait I'm confused was this game pretty much the state championship game or will that be next Saturday? Do they play again this season after that? I know how Richlands likes playing in those mythical state championship games.....

You're real cute.

They might be, then again they may not be.  We'll see.  If Richlands is hitting their threes, yes, Richlands wins.  If not, it will still be a close game.

BTW, next year is THE year for Richlands...

Was a close game. Richlands might win the next round. Don't think either team is going to score 90 points on one another. Richlands future looks bright with the starters who will be back next year. Union will lose 3 starters.. Noaks, Barnette, Spears. And Jay Gavin who is a good player coming off the bench. Ridgeview will lose 3 key starters and Gate City will lose John Reed Barnes. Good for about 25 points a game. Basketball is a fun sport. I know Graham will lose Roman Workman, not sure who else besides Roman. 

Was a close game. Richlands might win the next round. Don't think either team is going to score 90 points on one another. Richlands future looks bright with the starters who will be back next year. Union will lose 3 starters.. Noaks, Barnette, Spears. And Jay Gavin who is a good player coming off the bench. Ridgeview will lose 3 key starters and Gate City will lose John Reed Barnes. Good for about 25 points a game. Basketball is a fun sport. I know Graham will lose Roman Workman, not sure who else besides Roman. 

Graham will also lose Miller and Clarke.... all good players, but the bench players coming up are just as good.  Add in a few more quality players coming up from JV, next year's Graham team should be tough....but year after next should be Graham's year, when Dalton is a senior and Allen, Cooper, Baker and the rest of the crew are juniors... Couple of really good looking sophomores on the JV squad as well that will be seniors... a couple of kids with good size, the Workman kid and the Fields kid come to mind.  Lots of athleticism on the JV as well.  They are fun to watch.

Graham will also lose Miller and Clarke.... all good players, but the bench players coming up are just as good. Add in a few more quality players coming up from JV, next year's Graham team should be tough....but year after next should be Graham's year, when Dalton is a senior and Allen, Cooper, Baker and the rest of the crew are juniors... Couple of really good looking sophomores on the JV squad as well that will be seniors... a couple of kids with good size, the Workman kid and the Fields kid come to mind. Lots of athleticism on the JV as well. They are fun to watch.

Richlands JV is 11-1. That one loss is to Graham. These two teams will be fine in the future.

As a Union "homer" I'll say thanks Ryan for the compliments on our school. We (most anyway) are very proud of it! There have been a few critics on the gym seating on the visitor side (me for one early on) but it's very deceptive. It's not tall but it does run wall-to-wall where most others are not even as long as the court so it actually works out to be similar to most. Other than with GC comes to town, I've never seen it be a problem with seating.

Union does have a very talented team and Richlands gave them a run. Richlands is talented as well. I'll agree on the officiating, it was bad both ways but that is becoming the new normal in SWVA basketball unfortunately. There are a few really good crews but on the flip side there are a few guys who you know off the bat what you are going to get. I did see some chippyness from Union that we typically don't see, I'm glad it ended pretty quick and we got back to basketball. Union's problem this season has been not preserving a lead. Happened against Richlands and they let Ridgeview come back from 15+ to force overtime the first time they met.

Union has a few guys who can take a game over like Noaks did in the 1st half. Mitchell is probably our best but Slagle has really came along and when Barnett keeps his cool and stays out of foul trouble he's a load to handle.

I was impressed with Richlands depth, that's one think Union is missing this season. We were missing Gavin, who was on a football recruiting visit, he usually gives us good minutes off the bench and really disrupts things inside.

All in all..great night of basketball! Looking forward to seeing how the next few weeks sort out!

I didn't complain about the visitor searing, but I heard others around me complaining. Richlands gym is one of the biggest I've seen around here, so we are a bit spoiled in that regard.

You've not seen many gyms then have ya

I've only seen what gyms Richlands has played in over the last 10 or so years.

I know I haven't seen them all. Just said I felt like ours was one of the bigger ones I've seen. No need to get snippy.

Your the one that gets butt hurt over someone contradicting anything you say or heaven forbid someone say anything but praise about the almighty blues. First off you get on hear and talk up the "dream team" that has not beat ONE team worth a crap and expect no one to say anything about that. 2nd I can probably name 10 to 12 gyms off the top of my head without much effort that is equal to or bigger that Richlands.

There is nothing wrong with being wrong... you just have to learn how to take it better

I didn't complain about the visitor searing, but I heard others around me complaining. Richlands gym is one of the biggest I've seen around here, so we are a bit spoiled in that regard.

Dude, I like you and all, but if you guys still play in that middle school gym, that is one of the WORST gyms in SWVa...  Lol.

Don't think I've ever been inside Richlands gym. I'm interested in seeing what Ridgeviews new school and gym looks like. I've been hearing its pretty sweet.

It's a nice gym for sure.  Not sure what you've heard about it, but if you've heard it's a carbon copy of Virginia High, then it's definitely not.

That's what I was told going in for the first time and I was disappointed when I found out it wasn't.  Lol.

"Graham will also lose Miller and Clarke.... all good players, but the bench players coming up are just as good. Add in a few more quality players coming up from JV, next year's Graham team should be tough....but year after next should be Graham's year, when Dalton is a senior and Allen, Cooper, Baker and the rest of the crew are juniors... Couple of really good looking sophomores on the JV squad as well that will be seniors... a couple of kids with good size, the Workman kid and the Fields kid come to mind. Lots of athleticism on the JV as well. They are fun to watch.

Richlands JV is 11-1. That one loss is to Graham. These two teams will be fine in the future."

Richlands and Graham won't have anything to match Union next year. Gate City graduates a whole bunch of seniors and doesn't have anything coming on their JV. They were lucky to beat our JV when they played us here last time. Put our JV players with Slagle who is a freshman and a few other returning players and we will own the Mountain District next year.

We killed Abingdon by the way RiverRat24. If Abingdon had any chance to beat you at all then I'm predicting a home blowout of our BEARS over your Devils in a bad way in Gate City.

I will even predict a sweep of our girls and boys winning both of the JV and the Varsity games.

I will then predict our LADY BEARS and BEARS JV and Varsity team to win the regular season and the tournament championships on OUR home floor.

Other than the Varsity girls team beating Abingdon I heard all the other teams were very unimpressive the other night.

The run of years of the title going through Gate City is about to close.

The new road to future championships runs through Union HS!

Go Bears!!

"Graham will also lose Miller and Clarke.... all good players, but the bench players coming up are just as good. Add in a few more quality players coming up from JV, next year's Graham team should be tough....but year after next should be Graham's year, when Dalton is a senior and Allen, Cooper, Baker and the rest of the crew are juniors... Couple of really good looking sophomores on the JV squad as well that will be seniors... a couple of kids with good size, the Workman kid and the Fields kid come to mind. Lots of athleticism on the JV as well. They are fun to watch.

Richlands JV is 11-1. That one loss is to Graham. These two teams will be fine in the future."

Richlands and Graham won't have anything to match Union next year. Gate City graduates a whole bunch of seniors and doesn't have anything coming on their JV. They were lucky to beat our JV when they played us here last time. Put our JV players with Slagle who is a freshman and a few other returning players and we will own the Mountain District next year.

We killed Abingdon by the way RiverRat24. If Abingdon had any chance to beat you at all then I'm predicting a home blowout of our BEARS over your Devils in a bad way in Gate City.

I will even predict a sweep of our girls and boys winning both of the JV and the Varsity games.

I will then predict our LADY BEARS and BEARS JV and Varsity team to win the regular season and the tournament championships on OUR home floor.

Other than the Varsity girls team beating Abingdon I heard all the other teams were very unimpressive the other night.

The run of years of the title going through Gate City is about to close.

The new road to future championships runs through Union HS!

Go Bears!!

Going to be kinda hard for your varsity girls to win the regular season championship when we only have two games left we could possibly lose and have two losses up in the loss column in the bank on Union and won both games over Union in the regular season (THREE counting UVA-Wise tournament), so no tiebreaker for you.  Lol.

That being said... anybody beating Gate City helps us clinch even faster... so go Lady Bears, I guess?  Lol.