Battle @ GC

RiverRat24

I know you don't own the papers, but to try to don the name "Dream Team", that's a bit far.

If I had a dollar for every time I've said that Richlands fans/players don't call us the "dream team....." It's the media and other fans. 

Fun fact: Pocahontas won a home region game 4 months before the school closed.

We haven't had a basketball culture here in a long time, it's nice to see the gym full and the atmosphere be the way it is. 

Lebanon girls beat vahigh?

Was it an early season game I just have a hard time seeing how that happened

Apparently they show flashes of brilliance sometimes, they only lost to Union by 10 or so.  When I saw that before we played them, I got worried, but we came out and annihilated them.

But yeah, as far as the CMC went, they did not win a single game.

Honestly would have never guessed that.

It's never really talked about...because football. Lol. But yeah, it's true. I personally feel they win one in the next two seasons. We have a good team that can shoot lights out when they are on fire. Still think next year is the year though. 

It's never really talked about...because football. Lol. But yeah, it's true. I personally feel they win one in the next two seasons. We have a good team that can shoot lights out when they are on fire. Still think next year is the year though.

Yea I can see why maybe Richlands football program would overshadow basketball haha just doesn't seem likely they would go that long without winning a region game in basketball at some point.

The team y'all have definitely has the size to dominate if they can put the performances together. Hardly ever see high school teams with 3 guys that are 6'5 one that's 6'2,and one that's 6'0. They should tally up a win soon. Might get one this year.... Hard to tell with the way everyone has been playing in SWVA.

We haven't had a basketball culture here in a long time, it's nice to see the gym full and the atmosphere be the way it is. 

Wait until next year when the Dream Team are seniors...

Seems like the teams in swva are bigger and more physical than the Dogs, and also will have a certain home court advantage with the games at Wise. The Dogs know what to expect with Graham, a well coached team that plays hard buzzer to buzzer, but have no idea what GC,Union have. They did play Richlands 2 years ago when when Richlands boys were all freshmen so if they meet it will be intetesting to see how much better they are as jrs. But of course all of this is subjective because everybody has to win next Tuesday to be able to make it to Wise on Friday. Good luck to everyone, I know Mavahi will need it.

Seems like the teams in swva are bigger and more physical than the Dogs, and also will have a certain home court advantage with the games at Wise. The Dogs know what to expect with Graham, a well coached team that plays hard buzzer to buzzer, but have no idea what GC,Union have. They did play Richlands 2 years ago when when Richlands boys were all freshmen so if they meet it will be intetesting to see how much better they are as jrs. But of course all of this is subjective because everybody has to win next Tuesday to be able to make it to Wise on Friday. Good luck to everyone, I know Mavahi will need it.

I think you guys played GC in 2014 too. Was a pretty good beating.....I think you guys won by like 21 or 22. Not sure about Graham and Richlands..... But I wouldnt really say that Union and GC are physical. The size is there but the physicality doesn't match the size you see on the roster really....at least thats the way it seems to me. Just my opinion.

Also, RiverRat 24, most definitely, your boys better not sleep on Lebanon. They're pretty stout. Although, Ridgeview was probably 10-15 points better than them, however it's hard to win when you're playing 5 on 8 out there... no offense intended for 1inStripes, who I hope was not officiating that game. Lol.

The Ridgeview-Lebanon game was the worst officiating game I have seen since the peak days of the Haysi-Council rivalry.

I think the GC/Lebanon game is 26-18 at halftime.....so sounds like a pretty good one. I figured they was gonna be a tough out.

Sounds like Lebanon made a game out of it until the 4th. Will the tournament be ready to schedule after tonight?

It should be:

Boys:

(1) Gate City BYE

(2) Union vs. (7) Wise Central

(3) Lebanon vs. (6) Lee High

(4) John Battle vs. (5) Ridgeview

Girls:

(1) Ridgeview BYE

(2) Gate City vs. (7) Lebanon

(3) Union vs. (6) Lee High

(4) Wise Central vs. (5) John Battle

Tomorrow at higher seeds, Friday, Girls at Ridgeview, Boys at Gate City.

It should be:

Boys:

(1) Gate City BYE

(2) Union vs. (7) Wise Central

(3) Lebanon vs. (6) Lee High

(4) John Battle vs. (5) Ridgeview

Girls:

(1) Ridgeview BYE

(2) Gate City vs. (7) Lebanon

(3) Union vs. (6) Lee High

(4) Wise Central vs. (5) John Battle

Tomorrow at higher seeds, Friday, Girls at Ridgeview, Boys at Gate City.

What's your predictions?

Gate City BYE

(2) Union vs. (7) Wise Central - Union

(3) Lebanon vs. (6) Lee High - Lebanon

(4) John Battle vs. (5) Ridgeview - Ridgeview

(2) Union vs. (3) Lebanon - Union

(5) Ridgeview vs. (1) Gate City - Gate City

(2) Union vs. (1) Gate City - Gate City by 5

Girls:

(1) Ridgeview BYE

(2) Gate City vs. (7) Lebanon - Gate City

(3) Union vs. (6) Lee High - Union

(4) Wise Central vs. (5) John Battle - Central

(2) Gate City vs. (3) Union - Gate City

(4) Wise Central vs. (1) Ridgeview - Ridgeview

(2) Gate City vs. (1) Ridgeview - Ridgeview by 10

Hoping the snow they are calling for tonight holds out. Talked like 3 inches or so of wet, heavy snow was possible.

I've been really sick this week and might could actually use the snow day as bad as that sounds.  Lol.

The Ridgeview Battle game I would like to make it to.  Even though I'm originally from Dickenson County, I live in Bristol now, so the Wolfpack coming out here actually helps me.  Lol.

But if I am still feeling this sick tomorrow, I'm probably not going and will just have to hope they win so I can go to Harry Fry Drive on Friday.  

As for predictions:

If this were Vegas, the top four girls seeds are what you would call "locks" to be playing Friday.  Anything beyond Friday is a crapshoot.  Most likely Ridgeview will play Central for the fourth time this season and Gate City and Union will play in the other semi.  If Central takes us for the third time, then I would almost expect Saturday's final to be relocated to Union (if Gate City wins) or to UVA-Wise (if Union wins.)

Boys, the only possible "upset" would be Ridgeview beating Battle in the first round.  Other than that, straightforward.  Gate City and Union meet again Saturday, pretty much a lock.  I use upset in quotes, because we should have been the third seed and have had a home game...

Definitely going to be fun to watch, especially the girls semis Friday.

Swva_havok_fan......If you get there early give me a shout. Not sure if you guys win against Battle if the GC/Ridgeview matchup would be first or last on the Friday slate. If it's the last game I'll be there early to watch the first game too.

As for the Battle game, we had some neighbors go watch that game. They sat next to this one couple from Bristol who said had Battle not lost one of their main scorers with a shoulder injury Battle would have won. Losing that kid was a big blow so yes all the GC fans are making a lot out of nothing. If GC plays without the Barndoor kid or the McStung kid or the fluke freshman, they would be hurting too. They would probably be beat by Union 100-69.

Talk all you want. If talk were championships you would be state champs 50 years running. You see where the talk has you though. Still going to be sitting home waiting for the sun to rise on your broken hearts for the losses you are about to endure.

#GoBears

#RiseUp&BearDown

#ItsOurTime

#UnitedWeStand

I was at that game. I have seen every Battle game this year. They have had the lead at the end of the 1st in all of them. Outside of the starting 5, Battle is not very deep at all. Yes the Harris kid just came back from injury & did go out midway thru the 1st in this one with another separated shoulder. And I know Harris always seems to always have a great game against GC too. So losing their best defensive player who also averages over 12pts & 7or8 rebs per game hurt some. But GC couldn't miss a shot from outside. Also when GC switched to a zone in the 2nd it took away Nathan Bowers' ability to drive to the basket. GC is much deeper than Battle. They would've made up the deficit anyway. They did the first time they played each other in Bristol. And it was switching to the zone & lack of depth that made the difference that time too. I don't think losing Harris was the difference in the outcome of this game. I personally think that not having Harris in the 2nd Lebanon & 2nd Ridgeview game was the difference in those however. But not the 2nd GC or 2nd Union game.