Battle @ GC

RiverRat24

That's my comment!

I'm not mad. Not in the least. But the fine folks from Conference 40 tend to vastly overrate their teams, when it's far more likely they'll go 0-2-BBQ when it's time to play that conference that doesn't beat its chest at every opportunity.

I support Ridgeview... I haven't been overly braggadocious  on my team have I?

If we're talking about boys, I would be inclined to agree with you in regional play depending how the regional bracket is set up.  I don't care who you are, when you come up against Martinsville or Dan River, it's about 99% probability that you're done.

Girls, on the other hand, arguably the four best teams in 2A in Virginia are all in the CMC.  

I support Ridgeview... I haven't been overly braggadocious on my team have I?

If we're talking about boys, I would be inclined to agree with you in regional play depending how the regional bracket is set up. I don't care who you are, when you come up against Martinsville or Dan River, it's about 99% probability that you're done.

Girls, on the other hand, arguably the four best teams in 2A in Virginia are all in the CMC.

No, you've been perfectly fine and respectable. :)

I agree that the boys' title will inevitably be between Dan River and Martinsville. Too much talent there, though if any team from SWVA could challenge Dan River's spot, it would be Graham.

As fo the girls' title, I don't know enough about eastern Virginia to make a determination. But I think that the SWD leader could compete with the top 4 in the CMD. I like Ridgeview advancing there, a solid first season and strong results in the OOC.

GIRLS- I would be super surprised if VA High girls could do better than 5th in the CMC this year. CMC is stacked for girls. Adding Ridgeview to this girls conference this season was a joy to follow.  The thing about high school sports anything can happen.  Especially girls.  but Ridgeview, Gate City, Union and defending State Champs (x2) Wise Central is one heck of a top 4.  

BOYS - I couldn't agree more about Martinsville this season.  Everyone else is playing for second.  I agree Dan River seems like the most likely team to get upset.  

But I would be interested to know why you believe Graham has the best chance SWVA in 2A this season in beating one of those teams. (other than the schedule does seem to pit the winner of the graham vs. (Likely Quarter finals)  Union  vs (likely semi finals) Dan River in the region tournament.  

I watched Graham play early in the season.  But that was ages ago now. Graham has really only played 3 good teams this year and has a record of 2-2 against them. Winning the 2 home games and losing the away game with the Beavers and the loss to Honaker.  (neutral) Has Graham improved a lot this season? Would you agree that Graham has beaten a lot of bad teams this year?   Union has a good team and good athletes. And has played a tougher schedule.  Union maybe a hard match up for Graham?  Graham maybe a hard match up for Union, but i would submit that Union has just as good of a chance to beat Ran River as Graham.   It will be fun to watch next week.  good luck to your team...  

I know, I know,  Union may still win the CMC.  that would change things ....    

I wouldn't be a bit suprised to see GC drop the game against Lebanon whenever they decide to make it up. They seem to always put together solid games against GC. I know its probably been posted already, but if GC and Union are tied for first in points....what's the tie breaker? Is there another game or does it go back to common opponent wins/losses?

I talked to a few Mavahi fans the other day and they all said the same thing in regards to the Bulldogs.... They don't think they are nearly as good as they were last year. How many seniors did the lose last year...anyone know? George Mason I think is undefeated and Madison County is supposed to be stout too. I get the feeling it's gonna be hard to take the title away from Mavahi again this year though.

To any of you Graham fans.....when Graham played Mavahi last year, did the Gmen expose any part of the Bulldogs game that could be used as a focal point this year? I know its a new year and a new team and they may have a completely different identity.... But just curious if they had an area of the game that was their weak link.

What Bulldog fans did you talk to? They lost 1 player from last year who avg, about 3-4 points a game and have everybody else back, plus 2 guys up from their jv who are very good. Graham played them very good last year by packing in on Holland and letting the Dogs shoot 3's all night, and we couldn't throw it in the ocean. Also Graham's 2 senior guards controlled the game when the G-men had the ball and they about pulked off the victory. Probably the worst the Dogs shot from outside all year, but it was pick your poison, Holland would have put up a bunch against them but they took him out of the game. I have alot of respect for Graham after last year, they are well coached and played very hard, they were a banked 3 pointer, some missed ft's and a turnover away from going to Richmond last year. G-men are a class act and if we can get there hope to see them in Wise in a week or so.

Yea I looked at the 2014-15 Mavahi roster after I asked the question and seen that they only lost one player this year. And Ive only spoke with a few Martinsville fans....one of which was actually in person instead of a forum board. They never said that Mavahi wasn't loaded this year....they just said they thought they were playing a little better last year.

So pretty much the only way to slow the Dogs down is to play a zone and slow down Holland and try to contest the guards on their 3s? Graham had a really good team last year and like you said, they are a well coached team as well. SWVA will be a complete toss up I think.

I believe Union never got a fair shake when they went to Gate City and played in both the JV Boys and Varsity Boys games. I saw both coaches for both GC teams talking to the referees like they had them in their hip pockets and we never got a break. The JV Boys coach also always seems to be on the floor as much as his players and nothing is ever said about it. Dude needs a Xanax or some major sedative of some sort. No one coaches like that.

The JV Girls game was the only fair game I watched in GC and it took 3 overtimes to decide it. The JV girls coach for GC tried talking to the refs but seemed to make them mad in the process. Luckily our Union Lady Bears won. In the JV game the boys had it won and then the refs swallowed their whistles and let them play and GC somehow got lucky and pulled it out.

The Varsity Boys game was much more of the same. Coach Moore tried to get explanations for a number of calls and got nothing.

Outside the conference, Union will fair much better than GC and I predict will have the team to upset Martinsville.

As for the Battle game, we had some neighbors go watch that game. They sat next to this one couple from Bristol who said had Battle not lost one of their main scorers with a shoulder injury Battle would have won. Losing that kid was a big blow so yes all the GC fans are making a lot out of nothing. If GC plays without the Barndoor kid or the McStung kid or the fluke freshman, they would be hurting too. They would probably be beat by Union 100-69.

Talk all you want. If talk were championships you would be state champs 50 years running. You see where the talk has you though. Still going to be sitting home waiting for the sun to rise on your broken hearts for the losses you are about to endure.

#GoBears

#RiseUp&BearDown

#ItsOurTime

#UnitedWeStand

Union beating Martinsville will not be an upset. If they play it will be at Wise, we all saw last year when Martinsville traveled to Richlands to play Graham they were out of their comfort zone. Their 3 losses this year were at Radford,at Roanoke college (Northside), and at GW-Danville. They do not play as well on the road, and as good as Union obviously is, traveling 3 1/2 hours to play them will be an extremely tough thing to do. On top of that according to their own fans they are not as good as they were last year, so sounds like they are going to have a tough time with GC, Union, Graham, Richlands or whoever they play from SWVa, if the Dogs get that far. Theyll first have to get thru DR, Appomattox or Buckingham before they can come to Wise

It's not Martinsville's offense that I'd be the most concerned with.  It's their defense.  If their D is turned up, it's going to be a long night for whomever they play. In retrospect, I think that's a large part of why Graham had them on the ropes last year.  Graham had really good guards out front who weren't all that rattled by the pressure (along with the fact that Martinsville had probably their worst shooting performance of the year).

I also think that the kids will remember their trip to SWVA last year and won't let anyone hang around with them this time around.  I really believe that the only way Mavahi falls to anyone out west is if a kid goes off for 30 on 8 or 9 threes (what happened at Radford) or if their aggressive style leads to foul trouble.

I'm sort of a newbie when it comes to talking about 2A, but why is Martinsville called Mavahi?

Also, RiverRat 24, most definitely, your boys better not sleep on Lebanon.  They're pretty stout.  Although, Ridgeview was probably 10-15 points better than them, however it's hard to win when you're playing 5 on 8 out there... no offense intended for 1inStripes, who I hope was not officiating that game. Lol.

The Ridgeview-Lebanon game was the worst officiating game I have seen since the peak days of the Haysi-Council rivalry.

You really don't see it all that often.  Unless it is said by some of us folks that are a little older.  It's also on the front cover of every MHS yearbook.

Anyways, MA = Martinsville, VA = Virginia, HI = High School.   MAVAHI

I noticed that Gate and MHS have a common opponent played at the same venue.  Gate City beat Floyd 66-58 at Floyd.  MHS won 75-38 at Floyd.

Graham and MHS also have a common opponent played at the same venue.  The G-Men beat Giles 70-60 at Giles.  MHS won 91-38 at Giles.   (Graham did beat them by 20+ in Bluefield)

Union and MHS don't have any common opponents.

I believe Union never got a fair shake when they went to Gate City and played in both the JV Boys and Varsity Boys games. I saw both coaches for both GC teams talking to the referees like they had them in their hip pockets and we never got a break. The JV Boys coach also always seems to be on the floor as much as his players and nothing is ever said about it. Dude needs a Xanax or some major sedative of some sort. No one coaches like that.

The JV Girls game was the only fair game I watched in GC and it took 3 overtimes to decide it. The JV girls coach for GC tried talking to the refs but seemed to make them mad in the process. Luckily our Union Lady Bears won. In the JV game the boys had it won and then the refs swallowed their whistles and let them play and GC somehow got lucky and pulled it out.

The Varsity Boys game was much more of the same. Coach Moore tried to get explanations for a number of calls and got nothing.

Outside the conference, Union will fair much better than GC and I predict will have the team to upset Martinsville.

Get over yourself. You already have 0 credibility and you're just making it worse.

But I think that the SWD leader could compete with the top 4 in the CMD. I like Ridgeview advancing there, a solid first season and strong results in the OOC.

VA High girls or any other girls team from the SWD are about 20 points behind any of the top 4 in the CMD. Lebanon beat the Bearcats and they are in last place in the CMD.

Did y'all see that funny "Dream Team" article in the BHC yesterday? Richlands really think they are that good don't they?

Really? We don't own the news paper. We can't control if they do a story on us or not. This is probably the best Richlands team in a long time. We've never won a regional game, and this team has a chance to win a game. Can we win the whole thing? Probably not. Mavahi is the favorite. But if we get hot, we can upset someone. Especially now that we are rested and haven't played 12 games in 15 days.

Sorry that we are excited and proud of this team. I guess we should bow down to Graham, GC, and Union?

I noticed that Gate and MHS have a common opponent played at the same venue. Gate City beat Floyd 66-58 at Floyd. MHS won 75-38 at Floyd.

Graham and MHS also have a common opponent played at the same venue. The G-Men beat Giles 70-60 at Giles. MHS won 91-38 at Giles. (Graham did beat them by 20+ in Bluefield)

Union and MHS don't have any common opponents.

Common opponent comparison will sometimes get you in a mess though. GC beat Ridgeview by quite a bit....30-35 pts I think. Union pulled out a win in OT against Ridgeview. GC and Union play and it took a buzzer beater to win it. I'm sure there's been other cases of this happening across the region this year too. Sometimes common opponent is a fairly reliable measuring stick.....but in a game of matchups it can give you a false sense of relief before game time. I feel like Graham, Union, GC, and Richlands could all compete very well with Martinsville or DR if they played a solid game.