Richlands @ Gate City

RiverRat24

So what's everyone's thoughts and predictions? I feel like it will be a 5-10 pt ballgame for whoever wins it. Richlands seems to be gelling at the right time.

I'm just gonna throw out a score:

71-65.....I'll pick a winner Tuesday around 8:30 or 9 p.m.

So what's everyone's thoughts and predictions? I feel like it will be a 5-10 pt ballgame for whoever wins it. Richlands seems to be gelling at the right time.

I'm just gonna throw out a score:

71-65...I'll pick a winner Tuesday at 8:30

Gate City 80 -65..

This one will come down to 3 point shooting. Both teams have a lot of firepower.

If they try to match 3 for 3 thats where GC will get in trouble. They are much better off to attack the rim and hope Richlands isn't on fire. Not that GC can't shoot the ball....but that's getting away from their wheelhouse.

Richlands is going to want to play fast and get off to a good night shooting. They started slow against Graham and you can't do that with GC. 

If Herndon and Smith and Thomason get hot off the bench and Horn can provide the spark that he usually does, then this could be one helluva game.

Does Richlands have a true post player.... or are they like GC where they just have a bunch of really tall guards that can dribble drive and shoot the ball?

We have Landon Lowe. He's our stud DE in football. 6'4 260. He had his best game of the year against Graham and really made a huge difference. 

Richlands and GC sound like the same type of teams, from what I can tell.

Well Barnette did some damage to GC down low....think he had 20. But just like the 2nd game against Union that was played at GC.....the refs had Barnes and Ervin on the sidelines in foul trouble pretty early. When that happened Barnette had his way with us and GC wasn't getting nearly as many rebounds.

GC would much rather play transition basketball and McClung will push it 24/7 if he's bringing it up the court. McClung is a big part of GCs success on offense. He plays off of emotion alot though which can be really good or really bad. And you can take it to the bank... if he's got a step on anyone on a fast break he's gonna go up for a slam.

I like a good defensive battle as much as the next guy.... But this game could very easily end up being a score fest.

Shame these two are playing in the opening round. I really feel like they both beat Union/Graham right now. However, it is what it is and the winner gets hammered on the bracket even more Friday when they will play Martinsville.

As for this one, it'll come down to who makes shots. Ball is a great player for Richlands but he's going to need some help to beat GC. Between Ervin, Mac and Barnes you're guaranteed 45 points and they get enough from Collier, Qualls, etc that it makes it near impossible to hold them under 65.

Richlands is playing its best ball of the year but I can't see them winning this one unless the Devils get in bad foul trouble (which can happen).

I'm taking Vermillion's crew 77-63.

As of now, I think it's either a 5-10 point GC win, or a 1-3 point Richlands win. Most likely the former. But anything can happen this late in the season. No one thought Graham could hang with Mavahi last year.

To me, Qualls is the one that does all the little things right that doesn't get mentioned. Very consistent player and is the only one that can find a soft spot in a zone defense. Been a pleasure to watch that kid play for 4 years...along with Barnes. If Qualls plays his normal game it takes alot of pressure off of the big 3 scorers.

And I agree with Ryan's last post. I think it could go either way really. Just hope both teams show up ready to play and put on a heck of a show.

I think if Richlands feeds the ball to Lowe like they did against Graham, he can get Gate City into some early foul trouble. We also live and die by the 3 point shot!! Scottie Ball is due to have a great game. Hopefully that game is Tuesday!! Can't wait for Tuesday night!!

GC defense nowhere near it's usual level this year, and that will play a factor in this game.  The shots will be there for Richlands, the question will be if they can make enough of them. I think they need to hit at least 9 threes to win the game, and that could be a challenge

GC offense a three headed monster, and with Richlands being exclusively a zone team Barnes will probably get plenty of looks, which will in turn open up driving lanes.

I will be curious to see what happens if the game gets really up and down.  GC only goes about  7 deep, but they excel in transition.  Richlands is built for a war of attrition-if there are a lot of fouls called then a high paced game with lots of attacking could favor their depth.  

I've been saying GCs defense is their weak point all year. Wasn't just me being a downer....its the truth. The polar opposite of the teams theyve had over the years. Their focal point seems to be maintaining a high octane offense. When they try to play disciplined defense they end up in foul trouble. The game last night however they played much better defense and looked very sharp....minus the crazy ticky tack fouls that they called all night.

One thing I noticed from the Graham game is we didn't play any full court press. Usually we run it the vast majority of the time, but we backed off of it for that game. It'll be interesting to see if Phillips chooses to apply it again or to go back to what worked for the Graham game.

One thing I noticed from the Graham game is we didn't play any full court press. Usually we run it the vast majority of the time, but we backed off of it for that game. It'll be interesting to see if Phillips chooses to apply it again or to go back to what worked for the Graham game.

Graham handles the ball well and is well-coached, I thought it was a good move not to press.  Pressing GC is probably an even taller task...I would be shocked if Richlands came with anything other than token pressure.