Richlands @ Gate City

RiverRat24

That's what we're all hoping. But if it's the same crew that we've had the past few weeks.....you can forget either team getting into a rythm unless the 3 ball is falling from half court while the defense plays a zone.

It's really not just the fouls though that have been bad. Its the walking violations that are clearly legal moves and the timeouts that are allowed without anyone having possession of the ball during a scrum that are real head scratchers.

You know what im talking about haha take a step and a half going up for a layup and they call it a walk. Then someone slides 15ft across the court on their belly with the ball in their hand as they are trying to gain possession of a loose ball and they will give them a timeout and disregard the walk. I've also seen more jump-ball calls than I ever have in my life. If the defense touches the ball with a finger the whistle is blowed. I understand its easy for us to sit back and ref the games from the stands.... But some of these guys really look clueless. You know it's bad when fans of 2 long time rivals get together and start booing the refs lol

17 point win for the Devils. I wasn't off by much on my 15 point victory prediction. Way to go BIG BLUE! Punched that ticket to the State Tournament, once again!

Don't they have to win one more to move on to the state tourney?

Not 100% sure how it works, but someone said if you win tonight, you are guaranteed 3 more games. GC plays Martinsville Friday night. Tough draw. 

Don't think either team brought their A game tonight. A lot of missed shots by both teams, as well as some timely 3s by both teams. Several bad calls each way. 

GC was down 28-31 at the half, then closes out the game on a 45-25 run. 

GC is a really good FT shooting team. Tonight, Richlands missed a lot of FTs. 

Honestly thought the Richland's coach was going to get a couple of technicals. 

Richlands has a good team. Don't see how it is possible that they have never won a regional game. Can't believe that streak will last much longer. 

You could tell both teams were very nervous and shakey to start the game tonight. The score was 2-0 almost 4 mins into the game. Was a whole lot of streaky shooting and alot of unforced errors and bad decisions by both teams. Definitely didn't look like either teams "A" game but Richlands had a really solid team and when their shot was falling like it was in the 2nd qtr.....lookout. Good thing they didn't shoot as well the 2nd half. Hard to overcome that many 3 Pt buckets.

Also I don't think Barnes, Ervin, or Qualls even had a point in the first half for GC. McClung, Collier, and Jones were the only scorers which was crazy. 3 of the best scorers GC has couldn't even get a bucket to fall. #22 and #1 for Richlands are great athletes and they pretty much kept things rolling for the Blues. Also the game didn't get chippy at all and seemed like they all played with class which was refreshing.

As for the calls tonight.....was suprised to see that the refs let alot more go tonight than usual. Was a few missed calls on both sides but I liked the fact that the knit picky fouls werent really called.

Just an outside view without a dog in the fight. Not alot of fouls called in the 1st half and the game had a good flow. I thought the game changed early in the 3rd on the hard foul on Barnes. The refs looked liked they wanted to make sure they kept things under control, and started to call alot of fouls they had let go in the 1st half. Overall was a good game by 2 good teams and Martinsville will have their hands full with Gate City. Mavahi won tonite over Appomattox 92-47 and Devontae Holland scored his 2000 point tonite. Gate City will be a stiff test in Wise Friday.

[quote name="Great City"

Honestly thought the Richland's coach was going to get a couple of technicals. 

I think he's going to get a couple every time they play, but he never does. He was at mid court last Saturday in the officals face....not kidding....middle of the court... Didn't get a technical. May be because it was just a short time ago that he was out on the court in stripes alongside them. Don't ge t me wrong, I know Fred and I love him to death, but he does seem to get away with more than most.

He did get a little hot a few times.... But he was in the right on several occasions. They did miss a few blatant calls on both sides.....but the refs did a better job tonight letting the guys play than they have most of the year at GC. 2 of the 3 refs tonight I had never seen at all.

I thought both teams played pretty bad in the first. When you go 4 minutes without a bucket for either team, it's just bad. Lots of turnovers and jacked up bad shots.

Richlands started hitting shots in the 2nd and it shows how good they can be when they score.

The game turned in the third. Richlands went 5 1/2 minutes without a FG and GC hit nearly everything they shot in that stretch. Took it from a 5 point Richlands lead to an 8 point GC lead and we just couldn't get shots to fall to claw back into it.

Overall a really fun game. I've never seen a atmosphere like that at a Richlands basketball game, so that's exciting to see the usual football crowd come out for basketball.

Thought the refs were pretty good, all things considered. Also agree that the foul on Barnes changed the refs calls. It was an accidental foul that turned out to be ok in the end, but I think the refs were afraid it would get chippy, which it really never did.

Richlands will have 9 seniors next year that all have playing time. Should be a fun year next season.

On to soccer.

I was thinking that only the top 2 teams move on in both East and West, champs+runner-ups, making 4 teams total at VCU.. unless it has changed.

Changed it. All 4 teams that won tonight are guaranteed a regional semifinal, either a regional championship or 3rd place game, and a state quarterfinal.

8 teams advance to the state playoffs now, instead of 4. The winner of the two regional semis will host a state quarterfinal.

I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't get chippy. Both teams showed some class and didn't let emotions get the best of them. The foul that Barnes got hurt on was just a good, hard foul and Barnes took an unfortunate fall where his head hit first and dribbled off the court. Ervin also suffered a busted lip on that loose ball where they collided at half court....looked pretty rough. For the most part, really well officiated game other than few typical bad calls but that's the usual.

Alot of streaky shooting tonight... That's for sure. Ervin played a rough first half and so did Barnes. They came out very sluggish. They finally got heated up in the 2nd half.

Congrats on making it to the region tournament. Was a great atmosphere tonight and a pretty decent game to watch other than the first qtr.