Gate City vs. Bluestone

RiverRat24

What's everyones thoughts? I think if GC comes out and plays the way they did against Martinsville they will have a good chance to win this one. I expect McClung to have a good game after having a poor performance and staying in foul trouble against Graham. Also been waiting on Qualls to make his presence known...

Figured he's due to show up and have a big impact.

Its known that GC has played to their level of competition alot this year. Never really know who's gonna show up. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say GC gets their rematch with MHS...whether or not that ends up being good:

Gate City- 77

Bluestone- 69

Well I haven't seen Bluestone play at all so I won't throw out any crazy predictions. Not to mention I've seen GC beat a team twice by almost 10 pts both times.....then lose by 60 pts the 3rd time haha so it's hard to tell what your going to get. They just get sloppy and come out flat sometimes against lesser opponents.

And is the officiating really that bad at Bluestone? Haha sounds painful to watch.

Honestly, the worst officiating I have ever seen, and the most blatantly one sided. 

Never seen this before either:  Bluestone had an announcer, walking the sidelines, during play, giving his running commentary with a microphone.  He would say things like, "#15 just lost his jock", "somebody give that kid a lesson", "so and so is loading up the bus"; "That was a walk...or foul...or whatever".  They played music every dead ball...nothing wrong with that...except one of the officials would "dance" with the cheerleaders and gesture to the home crowd.  

I hope Gate City does not play down to this team's level.  . 

......I need to watch this just one time! Surely to God there's rules against this sort of stuff haha Actually i probably dont need to see it.....I'd last about 5 mins in that place before getting thrown out if anyone from SWVA was playing them and I was there watching it. Trust me....I hope GC doesn't play down to anything that's associated with that sort of junk. But at the same time....I really wouldn't be suprised if they did.

The most one sided refereeing I've ever seen was 08' in the state title game when GC faced George Wythe. Wythe was mauling us in the paint and we couldn't buy a call... all while we was getting plugged for ghost fouls. Literally a few times they called out numbers of players that wasn't even in the game and had to go back and readdress the fouls and stick them to the player they thought may have committed a foul. And I really don't understand why the refs were so one sided in that one because Wythe was simply a better team than us that year. Not 20 pts better but that's pretty much what the lead was the whole game until the final minutes. The Maroons didn't need any help....but they sure as heck got it.

The likes of the refereeing you speak of sounds comical though..... Unless of course its your teams that losing to them because of it

GC's two starting seniors need to step up in the remaining games if the Devils are to advance. Neither have shot very well nor scored very much in the last four games. The Devils have been carried by a freshman and a sophomore.

I agree that the seniors need to step up. Barnes has had spurts of solid play in the post seasom but that's about it.....nothing consistent. Qualls hasn't really done much at all and he usually contributes quite a few pts per game....he really needs to step up. Collier played the best of anyone in the MHS game in my opinion. Not sure where that performance came from but I hadnt seen that out of him all year. He lived in the paint on MHS and outrebounded them all night. And I'm wasnt bashing the seniors.....they are great players and if not for them we wouldn't have made it as far as we have.

Also.....what wasn't shown in the box score for Barnes though was his defense. He drew 6 or 7 charges against MHS in the first half alone.....3 of which were against Holland. What he did really affected their game plan and their attitude in general. You could tell they were frustrated. That alone was enough of a performance from Barnes....but for GC to make it to the finals they will need him to play to his best ball, along with the other starting 4 and the 2 guys that come in off the bench.

I sure hope you guys aint preaching false prophecies haha I like the confidence in everyones picks. Who would you guys compare this team to from SWVA?....for those of you that have seen Bluestone play or that know something about them

It's hard to travel 6 hours and beat a team in their backyard. Much less do it handily. I expect a pretty close game honestly. I also didn't realize we had so many that have been sick for the past month or so until I heard it on the radio the other night. Hopefully everybody will be ready to go this weekend.

Honestly, the worst officiating I have ever seen, and the most blatantly one sided. 

Never seen this before either:  Bluestone had an announcer, walking the sidelines, during play, giving his running commentary with a microphone.  He would say things like, "#15 just lost his jock", "somebody give that kid a lesson", "so and so is loading up the bus"; "That was a walk...or foul...or whatever".  They played music every dead ball...nothing wrong with that...except one of the officials would "dance" with the cheerleaders and gesture to the home crowd.  

I hope Gate City does not play down to this team's level.  . 

I read somewhere that Greensville County has a live band in their stands that plays grunge music or some crap during the entire game at their place.  Hope they're not coming to Wise Saturday with their girls.  To me, this type of activity during games seems like it would be prohibited by the VHSL, since they made an announcement over at UVa-Wise last week that stomping your feet in the stands was prohibited.

I am guessing this weekend match ups for GC and Graham will be very challenging for both teams.  I have seen video of Mason and they are very well coached and pretty athletic with some size in the middle. Very difficult match up for anyone really. But, I love how hard Graham plays. When a coach gets his players to play with all they got, you always will be in the hunt for a victory.  Good luck!  

I have not seen anything on Blue Stone, I plan to watch the video supplied in the post given earlier. (thank you for posting it)  But I do know, when you travel to Richmond, the atmosphere, the refs, the style of play, the large arena, the crowd, everything is different for SWVA boys. Not sure if any of the GC players has made that trip before? I am wondering how Gate City will react? .  Three of Gate City's players play for fully funded shoe company teams that fly them all over the country to play basketball. That experience should help those players.  Good Luck! 

Really? Maybe I am wrong?   I was thinking Gate City got beat pretty bad by Martinsville or Dan River 2 years ago in the regional tournament and that wasn't played in Richmond or at VCU and Gate City got thumped by Graham last year at Graham, which is not in Richmond or at VCU, so it had to be at least 3 years ago.   Best case scenario your now Seniors were freshman when Gate City went to State and played at VCU.  Please forgive me if I am wrong.   

With the talent GC has coming up next year plus McClung and Ervin having 3-4 more years left and Collier coming back next year, I expect to see GC this deep in the post season for several years to come. Should be some battles between GC and Graham in the future too.....as the G-men seem to have alot of young talent coming up.