Gate City vs. Bluestone

RiverRat24

Richlands has all 4 or 5 starters back next year?  

Graham is Always tough! The Freshman will grow and they will have some great guards for the next few years. 

Dan River Started 4 Jr.'s this year.

an It is my understanding that GC has a 6ft 3 in 8th grader that scores a ton?

looks fun...   

Yea forgot about Richlands having a team full of juniors....they should be really good too along with Dan River.

And I would say it's the guard for GC your speaking of. Bradley Dean....he's extremely talented. Not sure how many points he averaged but he put up 31 or 32 against Ridgeview in the JV championship game. The whole JV squad for GC is good....they only lost 1 game this year and I think it was to Dobyns Bennett in Overtime.

I also think Union should be tough for several years to come too. Mitchell is only a sophomore or junior isn't he? Or am I thinking about someone else?

Definitely seems like a bright future for SWVA.

GC JV lost to DB in overtime the first game of the season. Won the next 24 games to finish 24-1. Arguably the two best players on that team are 8th graders. I am sure it is Dean that EZ is talking about. Kid has incredible shooting range for an 8th grader. Would prob win a 3 pt shooting contest against any varsity player GC has right now. Best things about that team is that they played 9-10 players and played some intense defense. 

Mitchell at Union is a sophomore. Noaks made that team go this year. Losing him will really hurt. However, Union also has great JV team coming up. 

I watched the Blue Stone highlights. Not at all impressed with what I saw. 

Will depend on which GC team shows up. If it is the team that played MHS, I would say we have a good chance of winning. If it is the team that played the first 2 quarters against Graham, it is going to be a long ride back to GC. 

For those making the trip, if you have time, check out Dot's Back Inn. A small, neighborhood bar that has surprisingly great food. Typical bar food and a list of daily specials that you would expect to find at a "fancier" place......stuffed flounder, swordfish, seaweed salad, etc.....    Kind of a place "where everybody knows your name."

For those making the trip, if you have time, check out Dot's Back Inn. A small, neighborhood bar that has surprisingly great food. Typical bar food and a list of daily specials that you would expect to find at a "fancier" place......stuffed flounder, swordfish, seaweed salad, etc.....    Kind of a place "where everybody knows your name."

I've already been planning an agenda for next week in the case of a Ridgeview win Saturday.  I plan on going up Wednesday night and staying till Sunday.  I'm lucky enough to have a long time friend who lives in Glen Allen off of 295 that I can stay with.  But, I am going to try to find some local breweries up that way, try some new beer.  Try this Sugar Shack Donuts that my friend keeps raving about.... and take in lots of basketball.  

Reread the post. He was saying that 2 of Bluestone's losses came to a team with the #9 player. He was referring to Keldon Johnson of Park View-South Hill. Johnson set the freshman scoring record for the state of Va just last year.

t

Sounds like they try to turn their home games into a And1 mixtape with that type of announcer.

That's what I was thinking too.  Wonder if the players try to showboat during the game?  That would be perfect.

The last time I was in Richmond, there was a shooting right down from the hotel I was staying in. We were informed to drive straight to the parking garage and walk straight to the arena anytime we were there.

I can trump that one.  When I lived in Richmond, there was a severed head found on a railroad tressel near where I lived.  The body was found about 3 miles away......    No accident, it had been placed there.

I moved shortly afterwards....

Thread quickly turned into a "why not to go support your team in Richmond". Lol I've been 5 or 6 times without getting shot...i feel like I'm lucky to still be alive.

However, I'm afraid im gonna have to roll the dice one more again.

I've got a good video of the half time entertainment last week at Bluestone. They played "Watch me whip, watch me Nae Nae" and invited folks to come out on the court to dance. One kid in particular stole the show!

First time I was in Richmond was 1990. Was helping a friend move up there for him to go to law school. That night we went through a McDonald's drive thru. We pulled up expecting to hear something similar to, "Welcome to McDonald's, what can I get for you tonight.".  Nope............we pull up............the lady says, "What u want?"

Richmond is the only place I've been where I needed to have a key to get into a service stations bathroom. And in that bathroom was nothing but graffiti, walls, floors, ceiling, and even on the mirror. There are some undiscovered talented artists in Richmond....

Back on subject, ready to hit the road tomorrow morning. Hopefully Big Blue can put together 4 quality quarters and leave Richmond with a victory and set up a possible rematch with Martinsville. Go Blue!!!

GC played some good ball today minus some unforced turnovers. Bluestone wasn't disciplined and never ran a set play on offense at all. They had no answer for McClung off the dribble and double teaming him led to easy layups. Defense wasn't nearly as sharp as they were against MHS....played man defense all night as did Bluestone.

I can't believe they double teamed Mac and left JR Barnes or Ervin to bring the ball up, either one of them can take you off the dribble and leave you 4 on 3, but then again it didn't seem like they had a lot of quality coaching to start with...

I can't believe they tried double teaming either. GC had numbers down the court every time. They just wasn't nearly as athletic as I expected. #11 for them was a really solid player though. Qualls finally tallied up a good game for the post season....was waiting on him to have a good game. He was for sure due one.

John-Reed seemed fine to me. He had a double-double. He checked himself out once cause he was gassed due to Bluestone sticking to McClung like glue forcing him to push the ball up the court. And another time after a loose ball when his foot/ankle got tweaked up just a little. He looked like he had no problems taking the ball from hoop to hoop. He was very successful when driving to the paint.

I thought I saw him point to his pump at one point then call the timeout on his own shortly after.... So I wasn't sure. I mean i know he had great numbers and played well. Maybe he was just gassed. Ervin and Barnes have never took the ball up the court that much haha