Gate City versus Martinsville Rematch

wave316

Thoughts or predictions? Should be a great game. Holland got in foul trouble really early in the first game. Gate City had a great game plan. This game could go down to the wire like the first one. My pick..Gate City 77 to 75 and plays Saturday for state championship.

Martinsville has to be favored .... but if Gate city can score 63 or more points limit the turnovers to under 10 and stay with in 7 or so in rebounds with Martinsville.  Then Gate City can win. 

Gate City's high powered offence scored 64 points last game, that is the most anyone has scored on Martinsville all year.  I don't see anyone scoring 70 or above.  Good Luck GC

I think Martinsville wins by 10 in the rematch after getting a wake up call in their first game with Gate City. The problem for Gate City is their lack of size in matching up with Holland on the defensive end. Gate City will have an familiarity advantage in playing at VCU their last game. GC needs to a hit several outside shots to pull the upset.

If GC can score as many points in the paint as they did the last time then I think it will be another close ballgame. The 3 pt shot is a big factor but if they try to rely on it they are in trouble. If Holland gets in foul trouble again like the last matchup GC has to capitalize when he's out of the game. He missed the last 4-5 minutes of the 2nd qtr and GC only scored like 1-2 buckets during that stretch. That was their opportunity to take a good lead and didn't do it. If GC plays smart basketball they can win the ballgame. I wont make any predictions in this one, just hope the boys give themselves a chance to win.....GO BIG BLUE!!

How can you lose to a team by 1 then turn around and lose by almost 40???  Second time this season that GC has done something like that...except that time, they beat the team twice before losing by 59...

Something ain't right...

With all due respect to Gate City, I really don't think (for multiple reasons) that the first game in Wise was a good indication of what kind of team MHS has. The Devils just plain ran into a buzz saw today.

GC played the exact same way they did against TN High. They showed no heart after the first 4 minutes when their shots started to all rim out. The backups played with much more desire when they came in. The starters were unbearable to watch. MHS was better today and hit a bunch of 3s which got us down early....but we made them look like world beaters which they are not. They are very good.... But if GC plays like they did the first time they played it's still a single digits ball game. GC couldn't even make their FTs today..... Ervin only made 1 for 6 or 1 for 8 if that tells you how things were going.

I watched the game between Mason and Greensville. Mason was by far more athletic overall..... But Peebles for Greensville is a machine. MHS will habe trouble stopping him and I expect him to go right at Holland. If Holland gets in foul trouble the Eagles can pull it off. However, if Peebles gets in foul trouble like he did today then it could be trouble. I will say one thing about both Mason and Greensville.... They were both very classy and showed alot of respect on the court.

Was a bad ending to the season for GC and they didn't give nowhere near their best effort....but it was a great season nonetheless and I expect another good season next year.

I actually thought our starters played with a lot of heart for the majority of the game. Just could not get any shots to fall. You get down, pressure/stress mounts to hit your shots, keep missing, and you get more pressure/stress..........led to turnovers and easy MHS baskets. 

We have played up and down all year. We were down today, and MHS was sky high. They were obviously the much better team today. We have also not played very well against a zone. MHS plays an effective zone. Their guards really come out high, extend that zone, and disrupt the passing lanes.

Lack of a true big man hurt us. A big man can help to get Holland in foul trouble. With him out of the game, they are a different team. 

Mac did a good job early of penetrating against those guards and drawing some fouls. 

Oh well..............not the worst season on record, but sure would have liked to have won a couple more games.

Would've liked GC to of played better, but I don't think we would of beat Martinsville yesterday, even if we played our best game. Hats off to Martinsville. Great year from GC, we expect to be back next year with the addition of Dean and with Ervin and McClung being a year older with Collier being a 3 year starter himself, need to deepen the bench and bring back Scotty's full court press defense.

I think the defense will pick up for GC for the next 4 years. Dean and company will help out alot even though they will be very young. Adding them plus having 3 starters back should make for another great season. The one missing piece of the puzzle will still be missing though.....we need a big man in the worst kind of way. GC will have alot more depth though which will be a big help.