Basketball!!!

futbolking

As far as shooters go....I wouldn't have McClung in a top 3 group at all even though he can shoot the ball very well and supposedly has improved his midrange jumper over the summer. Ervin shoots the ball light years better than McClung....Id have Ervin in my top 3 for shooters around the area. The kid from Union can stroke the 3 ball as well...can't remember his name but he sunk some big shots against GC in the post season game. Richlands has some shooters as well and so does Graham.

Last year the kid from Lee was about as good as it gets in SWVA but he graduated. Kid from Ridgeview was a very good shooter too....but I think he graduated as well. And Robinette from Honaker was simply a beast. I would have had those guys in my top players in SWVA along with 6 or 7 of the obvious players from GC, Richlands, Union, and Graham. Those would have rounded out a top 10 from SWVA for me. I'll wait a few games into the season this year before I start forming opinions on the best players in the area.

Fluffing up Richlands haha. So putting 2 players from Richlands in the Top 5 is fluffing them up and asking what other schools has a good big man. Right, for all these people talking about Richlands schedule, so outside of Richlands, Bluefield, and possibly Honaker who exactly does graham have thats a good quality team. Bland, Narrows, Shaddy Springs, Fort Chiswell? As I recall last year, Richlands tried to work around the snow multiple times to play Graham at the end of the year, but Graham wanted nothing to do with it as well as Bluefield. Say what you want but its ture. Richlands plays in a tournament at the start of the year which is going to host many good quality teams. 

I also said Gate City is the best team in SWVA. I also said Graham was in the top 3. So don't get you feathers ruffled to much.

Fluffing up Richlands haha. So putting 2 players from Richlands in the Top 5 is fluffing them up and asking what other schools has a good big man. Right, for all these people talking about Richlands schedule, so outside of Richlands, Bluefield, and possibly Honaker who exactly does graham have thats a good quality team. Bland, Narrows, Shaddy Springs, Fort Chiswell? As I recall last year, Richlands tried to work around the snow multiple times to play Graham at the end of the year, but Graham wanted nothing to do with it as well as Bluefield. Say what you want but its ture. Richlands plays in a tournament at the start of the year which is going to host many good quality teams. 

I also said Gate City is the best team in SWVA. I also said Graham was in the top 3. So don't get you feathers ruffled to much.

There's really no need to get worked up about basketball in SWVA!!

I've not had the opportunity to see Ball or Phillips play enough to know just how good they are. I heard about the "dream team" alot last year but didn't know who was supposed to be the best players of the starting 5. Id say just based off of last year most Graham fans would say that Ervin looked better than McClung because if I remember correctly McClung didn't really have that good of a game against the GMen and Ervin played pretty well. Hard to form opinions on kids when you've hardly even had the chance to see them play.

To you that know, who's supposed to be the star players for Graham this year? The only names that I remember are the ones that graduated.

I wouldnt consider them the dream team. Nor would I consider them Richlands best team. Richlands best team would be the 1985 RHS team who lost to the eventual state champions martinsville. In overtime by 1 point. Which was a complete team. Size, speed and possibly the best all around point guard ive witnessed in high school.

Most of the people I heard mentioning them as the "dream team" wasn't even RHS fans. It was just fans of other teams that were having a little fun with what they had heard.

I've seen several good high school players but I guess Josh Shoemaker was the best basketball player I've ever seen in SWVA.

What all does Ridgeview, Lee, Battle, and VA High have this year? Anyone have the scoop on these teams?

Most of the people I heard mentioning them as the "dream team" wasn't even RHS fans. It was just fans of other teams that were having a little fun with what they had heard.

I've seen several good high school players but I guess Josh Shoemaker was the best basketball player I've ever seen in SWVA.

What all does Ridgeview, Lee, Battle, and VA High have this year? Anyone have the scoop on these teams?

Ridgeview and Battle both lost a ton from last year-not sure what either team has in the system to replace.  

Va High only had a couple of seniors last year, and I would expect them to bring in a few recruits/transfers before the season starts.   

Don't know much about Lee other than their stud last year was a senior and they have a new coach now.  

Ridgeview and Battle both lost a ton from last year-not sure what either team has in the system to replace.

Va High only had a couple of seniors last year, and I would expect them to bring in a few recruits/transfers before the season starts.

Don't know much about Lee other than their stud last year was a senior and they have a new coach now.

The dude from Lee may have been the best player I watched last year. He could flat out play...was a shame he didn't have alot of help around him.

I had in my mind that VA High might be able to put something together this year. I couldn't remember exactly what all they had but I did remember that they was a pretty young team last year.

What do the Falcons have this year? You Abingdon fans chime in. I didn't get to see the GC/AHS games last year to know who they even had on the court for them.

Graham will be a fast paced, fun team to watch this year.  Dalton has developed into a good post player and Graham will be able to run the floor and shoot the long ball.  They will miss Workman's ability to get to the basket, I think.....but they will have an athletic bunch coming up.  I think they will be improved from last season, especially in the post.

Graham will be a fast paced, fun team to watch this year. Dalton has developed into a good post player and Graham will be able to run the floor and shoot the long ball. They will miss Workman's ability to get to the basket, I think.....but they will have an athletic bunch coming up. I think they will be improved from last season, especially in the post.

I'd guess Cam Allen & Chandler Cooper will lead them in scoring

Baker moving up from J.V. should be the point guard.  Cooper and Allen most likely shooting guards, but both can play the point.  Dalton underneath will score his share of points this season.  He's gotten bigger and taller and has some good post moves underneath.  Emil Curto, Nick Morgan, Darren Martin will all see significant time.  Don't know all of the j.v. kids from last season, but that was a talented bunch.  Couple of them have good size underneath, they should have a lot of depth.

GC really just lacks someone with size in the paint. Should be loaded with good shooters....that won't be an issue. Depth and a dominant big man will be the achilles heel for this GC team. I wish GC and Graham would schedule some regular season matchups.

You know....with Martinsville having Hairston and Martin back this year plus a few other guards and playmakers coming up from JV, it wouldn't shock me a bit to see them win another title. Not trying to sound negative towards the teams we have in SWVA....but I just wouldn't be suprised at this at all

With Martin,Hairston,Turner and Bratcher back, I'm interested to see how Martinsville will fill in the other pieces this year. Transfer they got from out of state is said to be very good, and rumor has it another transfer may be in the near future.