Basketball!!!

futbolking

Oh yeah, Gate City's season will depend on how much the young guys from the JV can contribute You crack me up.

Well....considering 2 of them will be starting and the guys coming off the bench will all be JV players. Obviously you think McClung and Ervin by themselves will be the only key to GCs success. So go on, please tell me more about how you think GC can play 5 vs 2 against anyone in the state and still win. I'll hang up and listen...

The comment about the players coming up from JV is correct. GC lost 8 seniors last year. I'm not sure how he was wrong in making that statement.

I really had forgot that there was 8 seniors. I know a few didn't get to play alot but still, that's a huge hit to the team. Like I said, post season success will definitely depend on how well those young guys step up and play. Hopefully by the time post season comes around they will be well seasoned and somewhat prepared.

You guys know GC basketball better than I ever will, and if you say your season "depends" on JV players and not the play, leadership and health of the 2 D1 players and a very athletic Sr. in Collier on the GC team, then so be it. Your season DEPENDS on last years JV team.  Please forgive me for laughing at you.    

EZ.......I think how far GC advances in the playoffs does DEPEND on the play of the "new" kids. Mac, Zac, and Collier will form a great nucleus  to build a team around, but the younger kids will have to step up for GC to make it to Richmond. We can't depend on those 3 to carry the entire load. Kids have to rest. Kids get in foul trouble. Kids have off nights. Kids get sick. 

I copied the info below from Mac's Mom's FB page. Just sharing. 

Prep Hoops 
VHSL Rankings: Point Guards 5-1 (All Classes)

#5 Mac McClung | Gate City | 2018

Mac McClung #5

Gate City is officially on the map, and they can thank McClung for that. Sure they have a top 10 kid in our 2019 class in Zac Ervin, but the buzz that McClung creates through his play is unreal. The 6’1″ pasty point guard has mixtape handles, a motor that never stops and he has bounce that will shut the gym down in transition. His ball handling always keeps defenders on their heels, and his athleticism allows him to contort his body to finish in traffic in a number of ways. He’s tough, skilled and fun to watch, which are just a few of the reasons he picked up offers from Miami (OH), Kent State, Radford, Air Force, Wofford and more this summer.

Prep Hoops 
VHSL Rankings: Wings 10-6 (All Classes)

#6 Zac Ervin | Gate City | 2019

Zac Ervin 

He’s a young cat that isn’t in one of VA’s biggest basketball markets, but Ervin has all of the tools to be a very good player at the division one level. The 6’5†wing can play inside-out, shoots it well from deep off the catch and is a big time rebounder at his position. His versatility is vastly underrated, as he can play and guard multiple positions, and he takes advantage of mismatches whether he’s bullying a small guard or taking a slower big off the dribble. He has the frame and skill set to be a dominant wing on both ends, and his athleticism continues to come along which will make him more intriguing to high major coaches.

One would argue that they finished much better, record wise, than when Fuller was running the show. It was a different team though between Fuller/Phillips head coaching. Fuller loaded up their schedule with quality competition and Phillips watered it down. Tough to compare records but kids quitting speaks for itself it seems. 

• 3 weeks later...

That's not a rumor. That's a fact.

I really don't blame him.  He could go somewhere in football, an injury in basketball could ruin those chances.  A lot of kids decide to focus on one sport in High School if they are being looked at by colleges in another sport.  Smart decision if you ask me.

One would argue that they finished much better, record wise, than when Fuller was running the show. It was a different team though between Fuller/Phillips head coaching. Fuller loaded up their schedule with quality competition and Phillips watered it down. Tough to compare records but kids quitting speaks for itself it seems. 

The athletic director is ultimately responsible for filling out schedules, although the head coaches usually have some input.  Not sure if it works the same at Richlands.

Anybody know when Cooper will be ready for Graham.  I'm hearing a lot of noise from the Graham camp, this could be another special season.  Quality Guard play in Cooper (if ready to go), Baker, Allen, Curto, Martin.  Morgan is more of a small forward type, but plays more like a shooting guard.... Dalton should be a quality Center underneath.  

I believer Graham may run 4 guards and a center.... they have a lot of depth at the guard position....  

They have some good size coming up from the JV to backup Dalton.   I believe Dalton will be an improvement at the Center position, he has some good post moves and is very quick for a center.  Question is who will back him up  if he gets into foul trouble... but like I said there's a couple of kids coming up from JV that look promising.  That may be the biggest issue with Graham this year....getting somebody in the game to spell Dalton and give him some rest without a significant drop off at center.

Workman and Clarke would normally be difficult to replace, however I believe the guard-play won't suffer much with their departure, if at all.... like I said Baker, Cooper, Allen, Curto are more than capable of handling the point guard position.  Workman had good size, however and could take the ball to the basket and did quite often.  Hopefully somebody will step up and be able to do that.   I feel as if Allen and Cooper will be capable of driving to the basket and finishing strong and either score or draw the foul.  Baker is more of a penetrate and dish type of guard, however watching him come up since little league.....that kid may be the best at handling the rock that I have seen come through Graham in quite a while, reminds me of how his dad played back in the day (maybe a little better than his dad was)... 

Graham re-scheduled a few of their opening games due to football going deep in the playoffs....  Their first game is the 12th I think... Bluefield game is December 28th.  Can't wait to watch them play.  I have really enjoyed watching Graham basketball the past few years, they are producing a quality product.  I like watching the basketball just as much as I like watching the football team.  I look for a good run from them again this season.

The athletic director is ultimately responsible for filling out schedules, although the head coaches usually have some input.  Not sure if it works the same at Richlands.

At the end of the day the ADs are responsible for scheduling, however, Head Coaches basically tell the ADs who they want to play. School to school, some thing differ but ultimately if a coach wants to play weaker competition they choose to.