Basketball!!!

futbolking

The one that is already here is about 6'2"-6'3" but played point guard. Was 2nd team all-state as a soph last year in his classification. He looks like a very good athlete on the football field. The other is 6'4" but more of a small fwd type.

All this excitement for Basketball? This is starting to look like a football thread!

Best BASKETBALL players are McClung then Ervin or Ervin then McClung depending on what you are looking for and who is hot. 

PG from Radford sophomore Quinton Morton-Robertson then the PG From Wytheville Sr. Malik Johnson  

Unions' Mitchell is Power 5 football player for sure.. Pure athlete and will be on any list of the top whatever. 

Shooter?

I think you will find that McClung had more and a better 3 point % than Ervin last year, but if you have some specific data Rat I would defer to you.  

Richland has a team full of 3 points shooters and is poised and deep enough to win the 40th vs 39 this season.  Grahams is my favorite team to watch. Pure Hustle and fight.  Graham and Richalnds will have to play team ball to Beat Gate City this year.  Union and Gate City seem to me to have the better athletes but Graham and Richlands basketball teams seem to be deeper and have more complete teams.   

All this excitement for Basketball? This is starting to look like a football thread!

Best BASKETBALL players are McClung then Ervin or Ervin then McClung depending on what you are looking for and who is hot.

PG from Radford sophomore Quinton Morton-Robertson then the PG From Wytheville Sr. Malik Johnson

Unions' Mitchell is Power 5 football player for sure.. Pure athlete and will be on any list of the top whatever.

Shooter?

I think you will find that McClung had more and a better 3 point % than Ervin last year, but if you have some specific data Rat I would defer to you.

Richland has a team full of 3 points shooters and is poised and deep enough to win the 40th vs 39 this season. Grahams is my favorite team to watch. Pure Hustle and fight. Graham and Richalnds will have to play team ball to Beat Gate City this year. Union and Gate City seem to me to have the better athletes but Graham and Richlands basketball teams seem to be deeper and have more complete teams.

Gotta get an early start on basketball season....it's just right around the corner!

Actually I wasn't looking at data at all on figuring which player to be the better shooter for GC. Just from what games I attended (which wasn't very many due to shift work) and what I saw in both players, Ervin looks to be the better pure shooter of the two....has a smooth shot and is money from the FT line. You might be able to pull up data and see that McClungs percentages were better from the 3 pt line and I wouldn't be shocked if they were... but I still think most would agree that Ervin is the better shooter. Id like to see data on the number of 3 pt shots taken and made from both of them. But me stating that Ervin is the better shooter is just an opinion, no facts to back up what I'm saying, just the old fashion eye test.

Morton-Robertson.....that boy seems like hes been there for ages. Did he have a brother that played there before him or something? Feel like I've heard that name mentioned for 6 years now.

To me, Graham will be the toughest out for anyone in SWVA due to their toughness and how they hustle. Richlands will be hard to handle.... especially if all of their shooters are hot at the same time. You just have to tip your hat to the them if that happens. (Example: last year when Radford managed to beat Martinsville by hitting a dozen three point baskets or more and still only won by 1 or 2 pts). Only problem with a team full of shooters.... they will eventually go cold on you during a game or two. Live by the 3 ball and die by it too.

Mitchell for Union.....he's gonna get his and there's no stopping him unless he stops himself. Dude can jump out of the gym. Just a freak athlete!

Union as a team, I honestly don't know much about them this coming up year. Mitchell and the 3 pt shooter that's really good will be back...but that's about all I know. I do think they will be tough though...just having those 2 guys.

Heard RE Lee will be tough. Two 6'7" guys, with one of them already committed to Marshall. Martinsville plays them in mid January in Lexington so we'll know more about them then

Two guys that are 6'7"....that sounds scary. I wish GC just had one of those. What happened to RE Lee last year though? Did those guys not make much noise....I can't remember. One being committed to Marshall....he obviously had to be dominating some games last year.

lee's 6'7 guys were both there last year and they were a borderline top 10 caliber team for most of the year.

from what I've seen, the senior (Marshall commit) falls in love with the perimeter too much (thanks aau).  he could dominate at the 2A level if he'd stay on the block more. the other guy is a junior this year and from the game I saw, he's just not nearly as polished.  two 6'7s is still hard to match up with on this level.

also, morton-robertson at radford is just a sophomore.  he did play JV as an 8th grader though.

lee's 6'7 guys were both there last year and they were a borderline top 10 caliber team for most of the year.

from what I've seen, the senior (Marshall commit) falls in love with the perimeter too much (thanks aau). he could dominate at the 2A level if he'd stay on the block more. the other guy is a junior this year and from the game I saw, he's just not nearly as polished. two 6'7s is still hard to match up with on this level.

also, morton-robertson at radford is just a sophomore. he did play JV as an 8th grader though.

Yea I seen where the Morton-Robertson kid at Radford is just a sophomore....Which is why I asked if he had a brother before him that played there. Seems like I remember hearing that name for the past 4-6 years at least.

And as for RE Lee, if the big kid committed to Marshall won't stay down on the block I can see why they didn't make it too deep into the post season. If he's living around the arc... he's just another tall shooter to play against. I'd take my chances on letting him chuck the rock around 24/7 if that kept him out of the paint. If they have a solid team around him and he's a good 6'7" post player there's no reason they shouldn't have made a deep run.

in fairness......the various recruiting services list Darius George as a 6'6 shooting guard or wing.  he began his freshman season as a 6' guard, so I guess this growth spurt doesn't just automatically make him a true post player.  the other young man does play more as a true post player, but he's not a banger as of yet really either.

The returning shooter for Union is Wes S., a great shooter and should imrpoce this year, union lost a lot (Noaks in particular) but the team should be competitive. GC will win Mtn Conference, but Union should be competitive with Mitchell, Slagle, Jenkins and a few more smaller wings

If Union gets reliable play from the PG, they should do well.

The Slagle kid is the one i was trying to remember.....he was a very good shooter last year and I expect him to light it up this season. Nothing against Noaks as he was a very good player, but I think Union would have faired better in the post season had he not tried to put the game on his shoulders for long stretches during the games. He had spurts where he wouldn't give the ball up at all....and i think it hurt the team. McClung has a tendency to do the same thing sometimes.... hits a few shots and gets fired up then the adrenaline seems to override his decision making. Starts playing way faster than the game around him which leads to some careless mistakes. I felt like Noaks had this same issue. The post player for Union that graduated was the best player on the team in my opinion. He was very solid in the paint

With Mitchell and Slagle returning plus solid minutes from other guards Union should be able to compete with just about anyone in SWVA.

The Slagle kid is the one i was trying to remember.....he was a very good shooter last year and I expect him to light it up this season. Nothing against Noaks as he was a very good player, but I think Union would have faired better in the post season had he not tried to put the game on his shoulders for long stretches during the games. He had spurts where he wouldn't give the ball up at all....and i think it hurt the team. McClung has a tendency to do the same thing sometimes.... hits a few shots and gets fired up then the adrenaline seems to override his decision making. Starts playing way faster than the game around him which leads to some careless mistakes. I felt like Noaks had this same issue. The post player for Union that graduated was the best player on the team in my opinion. He was very solid in the paint

With Mitchell and Slagle returning plus solid minutes from other guards Union should be able to compete with just about anyone in SWVA.

Jake Barnett, he was a MONSTER on the block. No one around had the strength to stopmhim in low block. He will he sorely missed. He's been a standout TE for UVa-Wise as a freshman.

Graham will be lucky to finish over .500 this year...lost too much from last year's team.  For all those thinking they'll be "really good", take off the Cardinal Red and Gold glasses...

Graham will go through some growing pains but I feel like by seasons end they will be a tough draw in any tournament. Workman was a leader... like him or not. He was the spark plug that team needed and sometimes made some bonehead decisions. Clark also was a constant for Graham.

Replacing those two should be a focus for Graham. I am not sure they are "replaceable" but Graham needs that consistent spark plug/leader when adversity strikes. The talent/athletic ability is there to make some noise as well as Coach Carlock being a top tier coach in SWVA. 

How many players did Graham have graduate from last year's team? I know Workman and Clark....but the team around them looked good and thought I had heard the young guys coming up were solid as well. Union, GC, MHS, DR, George Mason and probably a few more teams im forgetting all lost 2-3 players from last year's squads. So if by seasons end Graham is starting to click I wouldn't be suprised to see them in the post season. Richlands may be one of the most senior-heavy team in the state this year. This is definitely their year to make something happen if they want to make some noise in Richmond.

Yes, Richlands will have about 7 seniors this year if I'm not mistaken.  Looking for a good season for them this year.  I hope they can make a run in the playoffs and finally get that long awaited Regional win.     

I'm just happy there is a good buzz around Richlands basketball again. Before this group it had been some time since we'd had some hope in the pre-season.

Now if only baseball can get on board. 

Totally agree.  This is by far the most talented team Richlands has had since the 89-90 team that went undefeated in the regular season.

Baseball team was young this past year.  They have a chance to be pretty good the next couple of years.

Totally agree.  This is by far the most talented team Richlands has had since the 89-90 team that went undefeated in the regular season.

Baseball team was young this past year.  They have a chance to be pretty good the next couple of years.

Richlands basketball 85' team if im not mistaken went undefeated also. However, I know for a fact that they have made it furthest playoff's wise in school history. A few guys from this team still hold school records. (assist, blocks, and field goal percentage)

Richlands basketball 85' team if im not mistaken went undefeated also. However, I know for a fact that they have made it furthest playoff's wise in school history. A few guys from this team still hold school records. (assist, blocks, and field goal percentage)

They still didn't win a regional game. Richlands has NEVER won a regional playoff game. Ever. 

They still didn't win a regional game. Richlands has NEVER won a regional playoff game. Ever. 

They lost in the State semis. I know a few people who played on that team. I don't know if it was arranged differently then or what though.