Rye Cove and Thomas Walker 2017 schedule

Hokie Bound

I think you missed this one.

The quote function would have been a significant help in that instance. Kinda gets lost in the slurry without it.

And no disrespect intended for TW, who faces unique challenges with geography and talent and does reasonably well considering. But it is what it is...a competitive 2A team playing a team like TW can mean a multi-spot difference in playoff seeding.

Looks like Union picked up Morristown West

A 7+ win, 3A equivalent helps slightly counteract the Lee County point anchor they also added.

If this comes to fruition, it could be a huge points prize for Union with a win. TSSAA list MW enrollment at 1461. Cutoff for 4A is 1453. They're right on the edge of 4/5A. Would be a very tough game for the Bears.

UVAObserver and all Graham fans, we at Hurley are so upset that you have scheduled 2A Tazewell and 3A Pike Central for us next year. How dare you schedule a team for us who is 2 classifications higher than we are. This is an outrage. I am going to get to the bottom of this to find out why you took Underwater Basketweaving High off our schedule and are forcing us to play a school 2 classifications higher than we are. You Graham fans have some nerve forcing us to play them next year.

UVAObserver and all Graham fans, we at Hurley are so upset that you have scheduled 2A Tazewell and 3A Pike Central for us next year. How dare you schedule a team for us who is 2 classifications higher than we are. This is an outrage. I am going to get to the bottom of this to find out why you took Underwater Basketweaving High off our schedule and are forcing us to play a school 2 classifications higher than we are. You Graham fans have some nerve forcing us to play them next year.

WTF?

The Vols, the UVAObserver and the Graham fans haven't replied back yet and it has been 5 minutes since I posted that about Hurley. I am really worried that they are in a secret meeting and might be planning on forcing us to schedule the Alabama Crimson Tide next year. I don't know what to make of this.

The Vols, the UVAObserver and the Graham fans haven't replied back yet and it has been 5 minutes since I posted that about Hurley. I am really worried that they are in a secret meeting and might be planning on forcing us to schedule the Alabama Crimson Tide next year. I don't know what to make of this.

It was 11:45 PM, and I have this thing called a job that requires me to be at work at 8:00 AM. Oughta try it sometime.

BTW, if folks in the holler are serious about competing for state titles, you can't use "we're a tiny school, poor us, we have to play terrible teams" as a crutch. Those "Graham fans" (and there were a Hell of a lot more people than just Graham fans saying it) ended up being proven 100% correct when the first above-average team you played all year beat you by multiple scores at home in the playoffs.

You're just butthurt because I'm right. And since you're new here...better get used to this whole me being right thing.

BTW, if folks in the holler are serious about competing for state titles, you can't use "we're a tiny school, poor us, we have to play terrible teams" as a crutch. Those "Graham fans" (and there were a Hell of a lot more people than just Graham fans saying it) ended up being proven 100% correct when the first above-average team you played all year beat you by multiple scores at home in the playoffs.

But they shut down Abingdon in a 7 on 7...

UVAO is correct on several fronts.  First, he is a UVA graduate making him the smartest person in the room, any room!  Second, he is an attorney making him the smartest person in the room, any room!  Third, he is a millennial making him the smartest person in the room, any room!  ;)

Seriously though, having a reasonable opinion doesn't mean someone is targeting you personally.  Several people on this board have had a reasonable opinion that once Hurley faced stiffer competition, those lopsided scores would reverse.  Facing your first serious test in the postseason rarely ends well.

Graham fans aren't singling out Hurley fans, either.  Several others, including myself, have tried to offer constructive criticism.  Hurley had a special season against less than special competition but, as UVAO pointed out, the first reasonably talented team you face drubbed you.  That reasonably talented team was then trounced a week later by GW.  Then, you beef up future schedules by booking a home and home with Eastern Montgomery.  Not exactly going for broke with that one!

Galax learned a valuable lesson in the 2011 state title game when a battle tested Clintwood team smacked them in the mouth and didn't back down.  Galax hadn't played a game all season where the final score was closer than, say, 45-10.  They have since, significantly beefed up the schedule dropping Eastern Montgomery, Alleghany, NC, Craig County, and Floyd County in favor of Glenvar, Radford, Giles and George Wythe.  That's beefing up a schedule!  The result was a 6-4 regular season last year that still awarded them a #3 seed in the playoffs which resulted in a state championship.  An 8-2 record this season gave them a #1 seed over 9-1 GW and 10-0 Hurley.  History rarely ever lies and is fascinatingly accurate in predicting the future, if you're willing to listen to what she has to say.

You invite the attitude you seeming despise when you come to this board with attitude to begin with.  The only part of this post I wrote being a "sarcastic aZZ" was the first paragraph!

Speak softly and carry a big stick.  ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I can remember more than a decade ago where a 9-1 Honaker team had to miss the playoffs. It was in the old playoff format where only the top 4 teams in each region made it. Rye Cove, Honaker, and Haysi were all Division 2 that season. Gate City was 10-0 and LPD champs with the most power points locking them in at #1. Powell Valley had the second most but due to them not winning their district, they didn't get priority seeding. Haysi had the 3rd highest but because they were district champs, they were also given priority seeding along with a 5-5 Rye Cove team who won their district. Powell Valley and Honaker had to hope for wins and enough rider points to get in. Honaker had a better record but not so much a strong schedule. Powell Valley didn't have a better record but their rider points from a stronger schedule got them in over Honaker by a hair but either team that season would have had a quick out at the hands of Gate City.

The next season a 9-1 Haysi team missed the D2 playoffs.

Not only can a weak schedule affect how battle-tested you are. It can affect your seeding in the playoffs. If you are on the outside looking in, your strength of schedule can either put you in as a low seed or keep you from even getting in at all if you have a bad record.

UVAO is correct on several fronts.  First, he is a UVA graduate making him the smartest person in the room, any room!  Second, he is an attorney making him the smartest person in the room, any room!  Third, he is a millennial making him the smartest person in the room, any room!  ;)

Seriously though, having a reasonable opinion doesn't mean someone is targeting you personally.  Several people on this board have had a reasonable opinion that once Hurley faced stiffer competition, those lopsided scores would reverse.  Facing your first serious test in the postseason rarely ends well.

Graham fans aren't singling out Hurley fans, either.  Several others, including myself, have tried to offer constructive criticism.  Hurley had a special season against less than special competition but, as UVAO pointed out, the first reasonably talented team you face drubbed you.  That reasonably talented team was then trounced a week later by GW.  Then, you beef up future schedules by booking a home and home with Eastern Montgomery.  Not exactly going for broke with that one!

Galax learned a valuable lesson in the 2011 state title game when a battle tested Clintwood team smacked them in the mouth and didn't back down.  Galax hadn't played a game all season where the final score was closer than, say, 45-10.  They have since, significantly beefed up the schedule dropping Eastern Montgomery, Alleghany, NC, Craig County, and Floyd County in favor of Glenvar, Radford, Giles and George Wythe.  That's beefing up a schedule!  The result was a 6-4 regular season last year that still awarded them a #3 seed in the playoffs which resulted in a state championship.  An 8-2 record this season gave them a #1 seed over 9-1 GW and 10-0 Hurley.  History rarely ever lies and is fascinatingly accurate in predicting the future, if you're willing to listen to what she has to say.

You invite the attitude you seeming despise when you come to this board with attitude to begin with.  The only part of this post I wrote being a "sarcastic aZZ" was the first paragraph!

Speak softly and carry a big stick.  ~Theodore Roosevelt~

A couple of questions... it was only a few years ago that Eastern Montgomery made it to the semis wasn't it?  They must've had one good season and then back to mediocrity I guess?

Also, in 2011, didn't Clintwood play Grayson County that year and get obliterated?  Did Galax play Grayson County that year also?

Also, Rebel_Yell... playing Pike Central is the equivalent of Parry McCluer playing a winless 3A Rockbridge County.  It's not going to raise any eyebrows.  Pikeville is the team in that town.

A couple of questions... it was only a few years ago that Eastern Montgomery made it to the semis wasn't it?  They must've had one good season and then back to mediocrity I guess?

Also, in 2011, didn't Clintwood play Grayson County that year and get obliterated?  Did Galax play Grayson County that year also?

Also, Rebel_Yell... playing Pike Central is the equivalent of Parry McCluer playing a winless 3A Rockbridge County.  It's not going to raise any eyebrows.  Pikeville is the team in that town.

East Mont beat Galax in the 2010 regional championship game before losing in the state title game to Riverheads.  East Mont were a very good team from 2009-2010 but immediately returned to mediocrity the following year.  They won 13 games in 2010 and have won 11 total games since.  

Grayson did beat Clintwood that season, soundly.  Galax beat Grayson in the regular season finally fairly handily, 21-6, in a game that wasn't as close as the score would indicate.  I was in attendance for both games.  If Galax had played Grayson the night they trounced Clintwood, the result would have been similar.  As coach Mullins stated after the game, Grayson would have given the Pittsburgh Steelers a game that night.  Grayson finished 10-2 that season, losing to a Dan River team that featured all three Edmunds brothers.  The proof is in the pudding so to speak.  Clintwood played a tough schedule that season and didn't wilt under the pressure of playing another quality opponent in Galax.  Battle tested teams rarely wilt when facing quality opponents. 

UVAO is correct on several fronts. First, he is a UVA graduate making him the smartest person in the room, any room! Second, he is an attorney making him the smartest person in the room, any room! Third, he is a millennial making him the smartest person in the room, any room! ;)

Seriously though, having a reasonable opinion doesn't mean someone is targeting you personally. Several people on this board have had a reasonable opinion that once Hurley faced stiffer competition, those lopsided scores would reverse. Facing your first serious test in the postseason rarely ends well.

Graham fans aren't singling out Hurley fans, either. Several others, including myself, have tried to offer constructive criticism. Hurley had a special season against less than special competition but, as UVAO pointed out, the first reasonably talented team you face drubbed you. That reasonably talented team was then trounced a week later by GW. Then, you beef up future schedules by booking a home and home with Eastern Montgomery. Not exactly going for broke with that one!

Galax learned a valuable lesson in the 2011 state title game when a battle tested Clintwood team smacked them in the mouth and didn't back down. Galax hadn't played a game all season where the final score was closer than, say, 45-10. They have since, significantly beefed up the schedule dropping Eastern Montgomery, Alleghany, NC, Craig County, and Floyd County in favor of Glenvar, Radford, Giles and George Wythe. That's beefing up a schedule! The result was a 6-4 regular season last year that still awarded them a #3 seed in the playoffs which resulted in a state championship. An 8-2 record this season gave them a #1 seed over 9-1 GW and 10-0 Hurley. History rarely ever lies and is fascinatingly accurate in predicting the future, if you're willing to listen to what she has to say.

You invite the attitude you seeming despise when you come to this board with attitude to begin with. The only part of this post I wrote being a "sarcastic aZZ" was the first paragraph!

Speak softly and carry a big stick. ~Theodore Roosevelt~

This is 100% spot on...except for the UVA grad being the smartest guy in the room part...I can't bring myself to accept that. Hahah.

A couple of questions... it was only a few years ago that Eastern Montgomery made it to the semis wasn't it? They must've had one good season and then back to mediocrity I guess?

Also, in 2011, didn't Clintwood play Grayson County that year and get obliterated? Did Galax play Grayson County that year also?

Also, Rebel_Yell... playing Pike Central is the equivalent of Parry McCluer playing a winless 3A Rockbridge County. It's not going to raise any eyebrows. Pikeville is the team in that town.

You are kind of right. lol Pikeville High and Pikeville Elementary is part of the Pikeville Independent Schools so they are the only school in town. Pike Central, Shelby Valley, East Ridge, Belfry, Phelps and all feeder schools are part of the Pike County Public School system. Belfry is the envy in all of Pike County in football. I would think Pikeville would be more like Parry McCluer than PC. Pike Central is more like a Tazewell or Lebanon.

a competitive 2A team playing a team like TW can mean a multi-spot difference in playoff seeding.

exactly what happened to union last year playing against Eastside

Wow, that's awesome that he is a UVA grad. I know that this bit of information that I am about to share with you will shock you, so you might want to have a seat. I am also a UVA grad. I know you're thinking that hick from the sticks of Buchanan County can't find his way out of the "holler" to get a degree from UVA. It's incredibly true, so I am not going to concede that he is the smartest person on this board by any means. I'd love to go a few rounds of Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit with him.  

Wow, that's awesome that he is a UVA grad. I know that this bit of information that I am about to share with you will shock you, so you might want to have a seat. I am also a UVA grad. I know you're thinking that hick from the sticks of Buchanan County can't find his way out of the "holler" to get a degree from UVA. It's incredibly true, so I am not going to concede that he is the smartest person on this board by any means. I'd love to go a few rounds of Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit with him.  

Well, you just moved down my list of people on this board that I like. ;) Go Hokies.

UVA-Wise???

Under the old system there was justification for not beefing your schedule up. Haysi made they playoffs a lot simply as district champs while only playing a few good teams each season. The result was every single good Haysi team made the playoffs(except for that one year), Honaker had a tougher schedule year in and year out but made the playoffs far less often due to taking 3-4 losses a season. They had some solid teams but never got in. Should Haysi have toughened their schedule up? Sure but I see why we didn't. That's the one advantage of the current playoff season, a team can play a brutal schedule to become a better team, take a few losses and still make the playoffs and have a shot - Galax is a great example.

As far as playing tough competition Graham played up for years and played schools much bigger than them in the process. I happen to believe they were dodging PV, as were Grundy and Gate City but that's just my personal belief and that will never change. But that's beside the point, Graham played larger schools in district AND went out of district to face larger top notch competition.