Union vs Appomattox?

Richlands Gang

They are such assholes. I suggest Union would have best player on field (adfter saying Appo clearly has more overall talent) and you'd think I had called them garbage. They predicted DR to embarrass us too, so I'm hoping they think were just some pushover.

This is what I was responding to in my previous post...

Don't forget the 2002 George Wythe Maroons in the Division 2 State Semis versus Gate City. A VERY good Gate City team who was undefeated rolled into Wytheville and had to be a sizable favorite. George Wythe defeats Gate City in overtime and goes on to defeat Buckingham County for the Division 2 State Championship.

thanks DJ, could have gone most of my life without reliving that game over. A big difference is Appomattox isn't coming to Big Stone, and probably not a blizzard the night before. This isn't a knock on Union, i think Appomattox is really good and it will take a really well played game, and probably several mistakes by the home team to stay close. The Bears are good, and have the best player on the field. i hope they win but i expect an Appomattox win by 3-4 td's. i saw where one poster said to throw, that may work, but Giles throws so little it is nearly a shock when they do, so i wouldn't put too much stock in 3 wide open guys. I don't put much stock in predictions on vapreps or Espn, etc.. most of us had the Bears penciled in to the finals last year, we saw what happened there. So my opinion, while important to me, matters very little to Appomattox and Union. Go Bears!

thanks DJ, could have gone most of my life without reliving that game over. A big difference is Appomattox isn't coming to Big Stone, and probably not a blizzard the night before. This isn't a knock on Union, i think Appomattox is really good and it will take a really well played game, and probably several mistakes by the home team to stay close. The Bears are good, and have the best player on the field. i hope they win but i expect an Appomattox win by 3-4 td's. i saw where one poster said to throw, that may work, but Giles throws so little it is nearly a shock when they do, so i wouldn't put too much stock in 3 wide open guys. I don't put much stock in predictions on vapreps or Espn, etc.. most of us had the Bears penciled in to the finals last year, we saw what happened there. So my opinion, while important to me, matters very little to Appomattox and Union. Go Bears!

Throckmorton.....

Floyd County had a 16-0 lead on GW the week before that,  7 turnovers and a backwards punt in -20 degree wind chills later....GW comes back and wins and the rest is history.

Every Union fans knows it'll be a huge uphill climb, Appo is the 2A fav and will be expected to win by 2+ TD, but that doesn't mean Union can't win if they control the clock, don't turn it over and win the LOS. You can't outrun Appo, but you may can run it on them in the middle. Their pass defense is their bread and butter, Union should be ready to pass very sparingly. Track stars all in the secondary. Union won't win if they try to get 40-50 yards a play, but five yards and controlling the clock can give the Bears a chance.

If its close late, I like Unions chances. Bears have played tight games, Appo hasn't.

I expect a tight game all the way to the end. It's not like appo is head and shoulders above union. Union has good players at every position as does appo in this stage of the playoffs there is no push overs. Appo is slightly better probably. An as always I could be wrong an we get beat by 3+ tds. I just can't wait to go find out.

I tend to feel like the 2003 Radford vs. Gate City was the better game. Not -20 degrees sitting in frozen ice.....and the game didn't come down to a BS extra point call that all the boys wanted to go for the 2pt conversion on. And GC wins it...much better ending.

If Union executes their game plan perfectly and plays keep away from Appomattox I think they shock everyone and come away with the win. If they let it turn into a track meet and try to play at Appos pace to keep up......well.....see you guys on the hardwoods. Good luck Union. Hope you guys pull it out and bring back the W. Go Bears!

Is the road near exit 150 still under construction. Went out that way a year ago and there were a lot of delays and it was on the weekend. Thought I read from Giles fans that was were a couple of the accidents were.

I would leave very early for this game. We had to battle multiple wrecks on 81 and 460. Some fans didn't even make it until halftime and many more got frustrated and just turned around

How early are you recommending? If I go I'll be leaving from Kingsport, TN on that Saturday.

I've watched a lot of film on Appomattox this morning. They are as advertised, very fast and disciplined. But there's no doubt in my mind that we can win this game.

Bears- 29

Appomattox- 22

Scoring 29 points on Appo seems like a gigantic order. I think if Union wins, itll be like 19-14.

The kicking game worries me. Appo is automatic at PATs, and short FGs while Union is erratic at PATs. But Union knows close games, if its close in the 4th, I like the Bears chances. If Union gets down by more than a TD, possible two early, it's probably game over.

I think going on the road and winning at DR gives the boys a big confidence boost, thinking you can win is half the battle.

Is the road near exit 150 still under construction. Went out that way a year ago and there were a lot of delays and it was on the weekend. Thought I read from Giles fans that was were a couple of the accidents were.

When we went that way last year we thought there was a wreck but ended up being bridge work before the exit and were delayed a couple hours. I guess we should allow for at least 3 hours of delays.

How early are you recommending? If I go I'll be leaving from Kingsport, TN on that Saturday.

Anytime I travel and have to travel through the Salem-Roanoke corridor, I usually leave at least two hours early.  I rarely go through that area and there isn't an accident somewhere.

Also, if you have an Android smartphone, I highly recommend using Google Maps for GPS navigation.  Google Maps is very quick to notify you of delays on your route and altering your course for a quicker arrival time, unlike your standard Garmin GPS.

I think Union has a solid chance to defeat the Wildcats but, either way win or lose, Coach Turner has built the Bears into a strong VHSL 2A program and deserves credit. Two consecutive seasons with 10 plus wins - and this is a fairly young Bears team. Zirkle, Owens, Turner, and of course Mitchell, all return on offense next year.  All four linebackers, and big Jeb, seven defensive starters, coming back.  Several excellent sophomores.  The Bears are a very deep team and I think they will continue to contend for the next few seasons. Maybe not this year but I think a state football title trophy could eventually make its way back to Union High School; and join the other 14 that are on display. Big Stone Gap and Appalachia are really great fans of, and supporters of, high school football.

I think Union has a solid chance to defeat the Wildcats but, either way win or lose, Coach Turner has built the Bears into a strong VHSL 2A program and deserves credit. Two consecutive seasons with 10 plus wins - and this is a fairly young Bears team. Zirkle, Owens, Turner, and of course Mitchell, all return on offense next year.  All four linebackers, and big Jeb, seven defensive starters, coming back.  Several excellent sophomores.  The Bears are a very deep team and I think they will continue to contend for the next few seasons. Maybe not this year but I think a state football title trophy could eventually make its way back to Union High School; and join the other 14 that are on display. Big Stone Gap and Appalachia are really great fans of, and supporters of, high school football.

They already beat the Wildcats............

Appo are Raiders IIRC.

And not to mention, Union has an absolute BURNER on the 7th/8thbgrade team, one of Adrion Jenkins younger brothers. He has the potential to come in and be next years Owens, assuming Owens takes over for Fannon.

How many OL graduate?