2016 Semis updates - 12/3

VHSLhelper

It seems like we say this around this time every single year as it pertains to Richlands. Mance's style of football is one that beats up less talented teams and coaches but does not work well against equal to greater strength and coaching acumen. I know a few coaches from the east in 2A and 3A, and they say the MO is simple...drop 7-8 and if things aren't going well for Richlands, they will self-destruct.

I really think it has more to do with weather conditions late in the year vs early in the year. Even on a pretty day late in the year it is colder which makes the ball harder to throw and catch, and it is harder for athletes to stay loose. With the spread there is little room for error...and it pits athletes vs athletes. Fact is usually teams upstate have a greater number of athletes than local teams do..so really the spread puts a team at a disadvantage IMO. I really believe that the key to winning a state title for local teams is to run the piss out of it and play good D. That way, regardless of the conditions late in the year and regardless of the athletes across the field, the team will always have a chance.

Wow hats off to Scottie Ball what a player for the Blues

When Coach Mance went for two I was saying no, no, but he didn't want to go to O/T

O/T in  playoffs has not been good to the Blues

I really think it has more to do with weather conditions late in the year vs early in the year. Even on a pretty day late in the year it is colder which makes the ball harder to throw and catch, and it is harder for athletes to stay loose. With the spread there is little room for error...and it pits athletes vs athletes. Fact is usually teams upstate have a greater number of athletes than local teams do..so really the spread puts a team at a disadvantage IMO. I really believe that the key to winning a state title for local teams is to run the piss out of it and play good D. That way, regardless of the conditions late in the year and regardless of the athletes across the field, the team will always have a chance.

I am pleased that Richlands immediately proved me (and my 540 coaching friends) wrong. An awesome comeback.

it is an awesome win, and a great comeback. Unfortunately i really think the inability to run consistently is the one chink in the Richlands armor when the play teams with equal or better talent. Fortunately that doesn't happen very often for the Blues, maybe a few times each year. Congrats and hopefully they can pull one out in Salem. I think they will have their hands full with a very good Appomattox team.