Virginia High Tip-Off Tournament

Leatherhead Larry

IMO kind of a weak tournament. Nothing will top last years tournament with the prep schools but their local team selection this year is extremely watered down. As usual, VA High got an easy pull for a 2nd round game against TV/PH. 3rd round they will most likely face Chilhowie which is a very improved team. 

The only game before the 3rd round that might be competitive is Hokaner/Richlands assuming Richlands squeaks by University high lol. Honaker has been practicing for a month while Richlands is just obtaining all the puzzle pieces today. I assume Sully South will detroy Marion/Northwood winner since both schools are weak.

I look for the Sully South/Richlands game to be a good one if they meet up. 

Yea, I look for Richlands to be a little rusty with only 2 days to practice with the full team before their first game.  2 starters and 1 main guy off the bench just finished football Saturday.

Yea, I look for Richlands to be a little rusty with only 2 days to practice with the full team before their first game.  2 starters and 1 main guy off the bench just finished football Saturday.

Lowe, Ball, Moir, Brown, Horn are the basketball players correct?

Brown is injured so I doubt you'll see him for a bit (per radio the past two weeks), Lowe is out of shape (It has taken him a while to get back in shape post football the past 3 years he has played. I look for him to be a contributing factor come late January at the earliest. That is IF he plays... rumors is swirling in November he was not playing), Moir (first year on Varsity so hard to gauge this), Ball (most athletic kid they got... will be fine. Probably will drop 25+ his first game out this week without problems), Horn( he is a scotty ball twin... tall, lanky, athletic, and gets after it.)

All things considered I still can see them getting to the 3rd round and playing South. IDK much about South though so unsure how they would fair. Richlands is bound to go through some rough patches with the little practice time. 

Dont think ball will be playing for awhile. Rumor has it he is having his gallbladder removed.

Tough blow if true. If ball does not play against Honaker I give them the nodge simply off Richlands not practicing until today and being without its best offensive player. 

So, if you lose in this tournament on Wednesday night, you're done?  No losers bracket games or anything?  That sucks.  I think the UVA-Wise tournament the week after Christmas is the same way though.  Ridgeview will probably be one and done.  They play Bell County in the first round.

So, if you lose in this tournament on Wednesday night, you're done?  No losers bracket games or anything?  That sucks.  I think the UVA-Wise tournament the week after Christmas is the same way though.  Ridgeview will probably be one and done.  They play Bell County in the first round.

There is a losers bracket as well.

Guys,  I thought Honaker played Twin Valley today,  but the score posted above shows they played Chilhowie.  if that is wrong,  could somebody give me the update on the Honaker score today.  My wife is wanting to know.  Thanks guys !

Guys, I thought Honaker played Twin Valley today, but the score posted above shows they played Chilhowie. if that is wrong, could somebody give me the update on the Honaker score today. My wife is wanting to know. Thanks guys !

The scores posted above are correct. Chilhowie defeated Honaker and Twin Valley defeated Marion.

The scores posted above are correct. Chilhowie defeated Honaker and Twin Valley defeated Marion.

Because Honaker and Twin Valley already play in the regular season, and because Marion and Chilhowie do as well, they flipped those games so that they could play a different opponent.

They shouldn't have set the bracket up that way then, right? Whatever floats their boat..

Once it gets down to the 5th and 7th place games, I don't think there's a way they can set the bracket to guarantee anything like that. Just too many variables and such.