2A West

HokiePokie

I would rather see Ridgeview's games at Clinchco, other than the gym they have now.  But Clinchco Elementary is no longer used for anything now sadly.

I remember Haysi playing Radford there in the state quarters several years back.

I thought they bulldozed Clinchco Elementary. I drove by one evening and swore it was gone

*edit for clarification 

I thought they bulldozed Clinchco Elementary. I drove by one evening and swore it was gone

*edit for clarification 

It still shows up on Google maps aerial view.  Not sure when the last time it was updated.  Im not sure why anyone would want to play in there over the gym at the new school from the pictures I have saw, but I havent been in it myself.

I always wondered why they didn't have a regional or even a district tournament at SVCC. That gym, despite the rubber floor, is really nice. I think it could hold at least 2500.

They still have a rubber floor???  Back in the late 70s-early 80s, rubber floors were the coolest thing since sliced bread!  They weren't very forgiving when diving for loose balls though...I know I left some skin on the floor at GMS...and yes, I left the door open for a great joke about "diving for loose balls"...go...

They still have a rubber floor???  Back in the late 70s-early 80s, rubber floors were the coolest thing since sliced bread!  They weren't very forgiving when diving for loose balls though...I know I left some skin on the floor at GMS...and yes, I left the door open for a great joke about "diving for loose balls"...go...

Yeah, and the old floor at Richlands Middle was the worst. At least Tazewell's floor had a little traction. 

I never understood why the floor at Richlands was smooth and the floors at TMS and GMS had texture...although, my 7th grade year, we played Tazewell at the cracker box gym at the old junior high.  That thing was the size of a volleyball court, as soon as you crossed mid-court, you were at the top of the key, and the rims weren't quite 10', more like 9'-ish.  You had to be careful there as the walls were about two feet off the court. 

It still shows up on Google maps aerial view.  Not sure when the last time it was updated.  Im not sure why anyone would want to play in there over the gym at the new school from the pictures I have saw, but I havent been in it myself.

I'm pretty sure the plan IS to eventually get rid of Clinchco Elementary, but it is still there as far as I know.  Haven't been by there in a few months either.

Saw some special games in that gym over the years, Sandlick or as of yet Ridgeview's gym haven't created those magical moments yet.

I'm pretty sure the plan IS to eventually get rid of Clinchco Elementary, but it is still there as far as I know. Haven't been by there in a few months either.

Saw some special games in that gym over the years, Sandlick or as of yet Ridgeview's gym haven't created those magical moments yet.

Not sure when, but it's been demolished. Drove by there about 3 weeks ago. Ervinton elementary is also gone.

Ervinton high is also gone too. There football field has 8 foot tall weeds growing on it.

Not sure when, but it's been demolished. Drove by there about 3 weeks ago. Ervinton elementary is also gone.

Ervinton high is also gone too. There football field has 8 foot tall weeds growing on it.

That's the best player that has been on that field in some time.

Dang, Dickenson County is cleaning up.  Did they close all the schools that fed Ervinton High?  

Anyone know the thought process of demolishing them? I would imagine you could use them as true community centers, especially in areas in Dickenson Co. I know the argument was to use them as community centers in Wise Co once schools consolidated but the communities, outside of Appy, didnt need them. From my understanding, Appy High School has been a great community center to have. 

Just seems like a waste to demolish them... No new business or anything is coming to the area. now it is just going to be vacant space. 

Anyone know the thought process of demolishing them? I would imagine you could use them as true community centers, especially in areas in Dickenson Co. I know the argument was to use them as community centers in Wise Co once schools consolidated but the communities, outside of Appy, didnt need them. From my understanding, Appy High School has been a great community center to have. 

Just seems like a waste to demolish them... No new business or anything is coming to the area. now it is just going to be vacant space. 

I think PHS and JJK were is such bad shape they were almost too bad to repair for community centers foundation wise.  Appy was in a little better shape between the 3.   

I think EHS was basically about to fall apart and its location probably wasnt great for being repurposed either.  Not sure about Clinchco though, I would have thought it was in good enough shape to be maintained.

Sandlick, Clintwood and Ervinton elementary are still open. Longs Fork is closed and scheduled for demolition. Clinchco elementary and Ervinton high are gone. Does anybody know what the plans are for Clintwood and Haysi high? I think someone purchased JJ Kelly. I personally hate to see the destruction of these buildings. Surely they could be used for something positive?

I think PHS and JJK were is such bad shape they were almost too bad to repair for community centers foundation wise.  Appy was in a little better shape between the 3.   

I think EHS was basically about to fall apart and its location probably wasnt great for being repurposed either.  Not sure about Clinchco though, I would have thought it was in good enough shape to be maintained.

That is my thought process too. JJK/PHS were in rough shape if memory serves me correct. 

I think PHS and JJK were is such bad shape they were almost too bad to repair for community centers foundation wise. Appy was in a little better shape between the 3.

I think EHS was basically about to fall apart and its location probably wasnt great for being repurposed either. Not sure about Clinchco though, I would have thought it was in good enough shape to be maintained.

I agree. Clinchco wasn't in that bad of shape. I was kinda shocked when I saw it was gone.

How bad were JJK or Pound when AHS was in better shape? Hell PV wasn't in good shape and it stood til they started the newnachool on same location.

The gym at Appy is still in very good shape. It's used quite a bit for youth bball, volleyball and several other activities. Its a good resource for the Town all things considered. No doubt it would be a good venue for bigger events.

How bad were JJK or Pound when AHS was in better shape? Hell PV wasn't in good shape and it stood til they started the newnachool on same location.

Awful foundation wise from all I have heard and they looked worse on the outside.