Time to grow up a little.

administrator

I understand.  My wife and I were discussing the link of concussions to Alzheimer's and I started counting the times I actually had concussions (confirmed by doctors) and the other times that I knew I had them and didn't say anything...I came up with eight and I know I'm missing at least one or two more.  I know I'm going to have a tough future ahead of me...

Im pretty sure I've had five, but never went to doc or really told anyone. I'm glad coaches and kids are taking it much more seriously now, we know what repeated blows can do.

Im pretty sure I've had five, but never went to doc or really told anyone. I'm glad coaches and kids are taking it much more seriously now, we know what repeated blows can do.

None of mine were from organized sports.  They were from "backyard" football - 5 times; bike crashes - once; auto injuries - once; and, I'm ashamed to say it, a pillow fight when I was a kid...my friends older brother hit me so hard, I felt my brain crash around inside my skull.  That one was in my opinion the worst of all of them...headache for weeks, ringing ears, and felt like my eyes were crossed for days.

On three of the five football instances, it was from a clash of heads...twice leaving me needing stitches as well (those were the two confirmed concussions), another was a knee to the head, and the final one was getting blindsided, knocked on my ass, and my head smacking the ground (second worst in my opinion).  The bike crash was the least of all and the auto accident (not really an accident...I was in my uncle's jeep when I was a kid, in the backseat, he hit a water hole REALLY HARD and threw my head into the roll bar...ended up with a knot the size of a baseball.

I have had four confirmed by medical professionals.  The first was backyard football with friends that left me with 14 stitches.  The second was from an Oklahoma drill during jv football where a varsity player knocked me loopy stupid.  The third was during an American Legion baseball game in Roanoke.  

I rounded first after singling up the middle.  I'm still not sure what the first baseman was attempting to do but he was ejected from the game for his actions.  The ball was in center field so I know he wasn't attempting a tag, which is what he claimed after getting ejected.  As I rounded first, he swiped my helmet off my head with his glove.  Meanwhile, the center fielder relayed the ball in to the shortstop who turned a fired behind me at first.  But the first baseman was in an argument with the first base umpire and the ball hit me square in the back of the head.  I didn't lose conscientiousness but couldn't focus my eyes to see anything beyond a hazy blur for about a half-an-hour.  

The forth was a car wreck when I was 19 years old.  Honestly, extremely lucky to walk away from that one.  My date wouldn't return phone calls following.  I couldn't imagine why?

Shoot, I don't have any good "I had a concussion" stories. I've caused a few over the years, and some other colorful injuries. Let's just say, I found out that if I leveraged up on an open-field tackle, I had the force to plant people flat on their backs.

Now, I did get a series of stingers in middle school ball that are the root cause of a compressed disc between C1-C2 that give me migraines to this day.

Shoot, I don't have any good "I had a concussion" stories. I've caused a few over the years, and some other colorful injuries. Let's just say, I found out that if I leveraged up on an open-field tackle, I had the force to plant people flat on their backs.

Now, I did get a series of stingers in middle school ball that are the root cause of a compressed disc between C1-C2 that give me migraines to this day.

Ugh stingers lol. Hate those things

When my right arm was extended and hit someone hard or used my shoulder hard, I would lose all feeling in my right arm for 30 secs-3mins or so at a time. It probably happened 15 times during HS. It's a helpless feeling, to be on the field and have your right arm (I'm right handed) jus dangling there.

One concussion came from backyard football, I landed directly on my head. It was kinda cold so the yard was hard as a rock and I hit my head hard. One was walking too close behind a friend swinging a bat, and the other two were football related. Direct head to head contact that left me seeing stars. Once in HS practice and other in a JV game.

I'm pretty sure I've had two; the first I was 7-8 and fell down a short(probably 5 feet high) steep hill and hit my head on a rock, the second my mom had washed our sheets (me and my brother shared a bedroom) and we were pillow fighting(both teenagers) and he balled one pillow case up and put it into another and swung it and it wrapped around my head and the "ball" hit me in the temple. I blacked out for a second and I had to hold still with my eyes closed to get my bearings back. Neither were severe.

Never had a stinger, probably wasn't generating enough force for that lol

I've been concussed several times from imitating wrestling moves on the bed when I was a kid and falling off of said bed, soccer game collisions, "backyard" football collisions, nighttime hide and go seek collisions, and lastly getting up in the middle of the night drunk to take a piss and the next thing I remember is lying in the bathroom floor with a knot on my head.