Marion at Gate City

Canes00

15 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

NOBODY LIKES THE DRIVE,and its quicker to go to GC than out there, the NORTH football team is always decent and the coach is good,he just lacks the depth that the BIG SCHOOLS have...hay theres you a coach!!!!

He (Rob Norris) was offered and declined, even after his compensation package was spiked nearly $30k to offset the difference in Scott County vs Sullivan County's insurance. His daughter has a medical condition whose treatment would not be covered under the SC Schools plan and they offered him the difference in salary so he wouldn't have to pay out of pocket. He declined knowing he would likely lose his HC job in 2019 and cited facilities, the personality of the AD, and the committee hiring process as the reasons. He said the committee was less interested in meaningful program related questions in favor of things like 'What will your assistant coaches wear during games?' (They didn't like Houseright's staff in short). He also reported being put off by the AD's insistence that he (Brent Roberts) was going to fire the then offensive line coach and replace him with himself (Roberts). Norris did not want to work with him as an AD or assistant coach. 

28 minutes ago, jarhead24219 said:

UPSET ALERT,GATE CITY pulls off a shocker 21-14

Due to reputation, it will take fans a few more games to realize GC has gone from state contender in 14 to one of the bottom feeders in 17. This is not Richlands going 4-6 and bouncing back in 18. This is terminal inoperable cancer. 

I've been hesitant to weigh in on individual matchups for Marion this year because Marion has the talent that if they have a good week of prep, play a clean game, and play to their full potential, there's not a game on their schedule that they can't win. Bearing that in mind, because of the depth of 2D this year, if they don't do those things, they could lose any game on their schedule (with the exception of maybe Northwood). In particular, this game scares me as much as any they've played this year, because an 0-6 Gate City team, at Legion Field, on Homecoming sounds like the most dangerous thing a team could run into. Couple that with Marion coming off a very emotional victory last week, an unknown QB situation, the potential to be looking ahead to the Naders coming to town next week, and the knowledge that Marion has only beaten GC twice in 90 years of football, and I'm more than a little concerned about this one.

Gate City  0-6       vs     Marion     6-0    VARSITY  FOOTBALL !

Something just seems odd about those two. Who would ever have dreamed a match up like that would ever happen. The year 2017. It will probably never ever happen again. Have fun guys!

I'm just blown away by comments that say that this will be the toughest game Marion faces yet this season. That doesn't say much of strength of schedule for the #1 ranked team in 2D. I've not seen Marion play and not a knock on our friends from GC (lord knows that's been done enough on this board) but if Marion struggles against GC every other team in the M7 district should beat them. And that's not even considering Richlands, Va High, Graham, etc.

4 minutes ago, GoBearsGo said:

I'm just blown away by comments that say that this will be the toughest game Marion faces yet this season. That doesn't say much of strength of schedule for the #1 ranked team in 2D. I've not seen Marion play and not a knock on our friends from GC (lord knows that's been done enough on this board) but if Marion struggles against GC every other team in the M7 district should beat them. And that's not even considering Richlands, Va High, Graham, etc.

The psychological element is the concern here for Marion. There's not a player on Marion's team who was alive the last time Marion beat Gate City. They have never played them before, and odds are that all they've heard this week from the community are their dads telling them about how when they went to Gate City, they just hoped they could get everybody back healthy, because they were going to run up and down the field on them. At the same time, this would be as easy of a game to overlook an opponent as Marion could run into. They had a very, very emotional game last week, they have Richlands coming to town next week, and Gate City on paper should be a walk in the park. Absolutely, Marion should win this one in a rout, but the risk is that they walk into a trap because don't come ready to play emotionally. 

1 hour ago, GoBearsGo said:

Marion's schedule is incredibly backloaded, that's why.  Richlands and Graham still to come...

1 hour ago, GoBearsGo said:

Every other team in the M7 could beat Marion I believe except Central.

4 minutes ago, sup_rbeast said:

I am asking anyone. GW and Chilhowie seem to be pretty even this year.

The Grayson County win by such a small margin would seem to throw up a huge red (scarlet) flag to me.  That's why I said what I said about 5 of the 7 M7 teams could beat Marion.  Like I said, I think we'll all see come playoff time, if not tonight based on what the final margin is at Legion Field tonight.

2 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

The Grayson County win by such a small margin would seem to throw up a huge red (scarlet) flag to me.  That's why I said what I said about 5 of the 7 M7 teams could beat Marion.  Like I said, I think we'll all see come playoff time, if not tonight based on what the final margin is at Legion Field tonight.

Remember though that Grayson had Glenvar tied up at 7 at halftime. Glenvar did have a lot of turnovers but Grayson hung with them for 2 and a half quarters. But I have only seen Marion play once and that was last year against Giles so I don't really know much about that program. 

1 minute ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Remember though that Grayson had Glenvar tied up at 7 at halftime. Glenvar did have a lot of turnovers but Grayson hung with them for 2 and a half quarters. But I have only seen Marion play once and that was last year against Giles so I don't really know much about that program. 

Really?  I did not know this.  That is interesting.  I had Grayson winning tonight but losing out from here, maybe I am underestimating them as well.

53 minutes ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Really?  I did not know this.  That is interesting.  I had Grayson winning tonight but losing out from here, maybe I am underestimating them as well.

Yea I was surprised too when I seen them and Glenvar tied at the half. Grayson isn't superb but I wouldn't sleep on them