Score Updates 10-6

swva_fan

20 minutes ago, trumpet1988 said:

Taking notice. 

Not much to take notice of. AHS doing the best they can with the O they are trying to run. They had a chance to win it and bad clock management didn't help. 3:00 to go and they started at their own 21. Only had 1 TO left and had to use it after a short run. They got the ball down to the VHS 40 with :16 left. Sack. Ball game. Needed at least another 15 yards to even consider FG attempt. 

Union will beat AHS by 14 or more I'd guess. They just aren't set up to defend an offense like Unions.  To be honest, I'm proud of the kids for being 5-2. I didn't expect that at the beginning of the season. Season only gets tougher for them now.....Union, Ridgeview, Lee.  I think they will need to win at least 2 of those to even have a chance at a home playoff game, or maybe even a playoff game at all. The off week for them came at a good time...just before Union.  That will help some, in a lot of different ways. 

10 minutes ago, BigO said:

Not much to take notice of. AHS doing the best they can with the O they are trying to run. They had a chance to win it and bad clock management didn't help. 3:00 to go and they started at their own 21. Only had 1 TO left and had to use it after a short run. They got the ball down to the VHS 40 with :16 left. Sack. Ball game. Needed at least another 15 yards to even consider FG attempt. 

Union will beat AHS by 14 or more I'd guess. They just aren't set up to defend an offense like Unions.  To be honest, I'm proud of the kids for being 5-2. I didn't expect that at the beginning of the season. Season only gets tougher for them now.....Union, Ridgeview, Lee.  I think they will need to win at least 2 of those to even have a chance at a home playoff game, or maybe even a playoff game at all. The off week for them came at a good time...just before Union.  That will help some, in a lot of different ways. 

Considering the massive offensive system change the Falcons had to undergo, on top of the enormous loss of seniors, 5-2 is nothing to sneeze at

A-Town will definitely make the 3A playoffs and if they can refine their passing game, they could be a tough out. Pierre isn't quite the back Raequon was, but he's certainly got some speed 

13 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

@Bluefield researcher Can you confirm?

Back in the early 1950's, we had an 0-10 season, but that was prior to Gate City High, and of course, that was the old Shoemaker High and I think "old man Quillen" was the Head Coach at the time.  In 1998, the year after we won the state title, we had a 3-7 team, but it didn't start out 0-7.  If Bluefield Researcher can check or knows this, I would be interested.  I truly can't remember Gate City ever starting 0-7.  In 2015, we started out 0-6, then got a W.  Harry Fry had a couple 2-8ish type teams and maybe even a 1-9 team early in his career, but again, never started out 0-7.  The new Gate City football coach has a new "first" in Gate City football.  I'm not placing or getting into who's fault and this or that, but I'm just saying it is in fact, a new first for Gate City football.  Since Gate City High Formed (not Shoemaker) but Gate City, the program has never started 0-7, again, at least to my knowledge.

16 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

Considering the massive offensive system change the Falcons had to undergo, on top of the enormous loss of seniors, 5-2 is nothing to sneeze at

A-Town will definitely make the 3A playoffs and if they can refine their passing game, they could be a tough out. Pierre isn't quite the back Raequon was, but he's certainly got some speed 

Just a passing game period would help. VHS played very well and deserved to win, no doubt. Most of (if not all) AHS points came after turnovers deep in VHS territory. The score could have easily been 20-7. 

42 minutes ago, BigO said:

Union will beat AHS by 14 or more I'd guess. They just aren't set up to defend an offense like Unions.  

I don't think Unions offense is what they need to worry about, its the defense.  Everyone is stacking the box now and without a passing threat the offense is very one dimensional.  The defense though keeps getting better.  Seems like Lee may have been under 100 yards total offense.

Just now, goose111874 said:

I don't think Unions offense is what they need to worry about, its the defense.  Everyone is stacking the box now and without a passing threat the offense is very one dimensional.  The defense though keeps getting better.  Seems like Lee may have been under 100 yards total offense.

Fair enough. I was just thinking Union was too fast on O.  

17 minutes ago, BigO said:

Just a passing game period would help. VHS played very well and deserved to win, no doubt. Most of (if not all) AHS points came after turnovers deep in VHS territory. The score could have easily been 20-7. 

We sure need to find a passing game but I'm not taking anything away from Va High, they're good.

Time management on the last series made me think that John Bowles was coaching again!