Union vs. John Battle predictions

trumpet1988

10 minutes ago, 93' Alumni said:

There again your comparing apples to oranges. Teams match up differently against each other. All I said was that battle will present matchup problems. 

Well the apple that is Union beat the oranges that are Ridgeview and Abingdon handily and both of those teams beat the banana that is Battle by more than one score and your strawberry ass is wrong. There’s no reason for anyone with common sense to assume this won’t be a win by union by multiple scores.

8 minutes ago, CriticalNoise said:

At what positions? 

Mainly at QB and receivers, against their secondary. That front four is tenacious, and will be hard for anyone to run on. I'm just anxious to see how they do against a really good QB.

9 minutes ago, 93' Alumni said:

Mainly at QB and receivers, against their secondary. That front four is tenacious, and will be hard for anyone to run on. I'm just anxious to see how they do against a really good QB.

Letcher's QB was REALLY good. 

27 minutes ago, 93' Alumni said:

You do know battle is playing Union Friday night and not Central right???  But hey, stand by your team. Maybe y’all have a really good qb. Or just a good qb and haven’t played a really good defense yet?

Transitive property does not work all the time. That’s the only thing 93 has said with which I agree. 

That said, his arguments are actually hurting his case. 

Apparently Union hasn’t put up numbers against a good team compared to John Battle. 

The only three teams that Battle has played that could be considered good are teams that have beaten Battle. These teams beat the Trojans by double-digit scores. Two of Battle’s losses were to common opponents between Union and Battle. Union beat them both by double digits. 

Union beat Ridgeview 34-19. 

Union beat Abingdon 35-7. 

Again, by the numbers it doesn’t look good for his argument at all. 

It it took a 4th quarter rally for Battle to make a horrible Gate City team go away, a team Union blanked 48-0. GC has recently given Union all they can handle too but not this season. 

Again, transitive property or not, ‘93’s argument is not convincing people that he or she is right. It is actually hurting 93’s argument. 

1 hour ago, 93' Alumni said:

You can't compare apples to oranges, etc. Teams matchup differently. Abingdon hasn't proven that they are a good team. They definitely aren't the team they were last year. 

I'm using common opponents. What matchup problems will Battle bring that no team Union has faced brought?

I'm not counting Battle out, I think it could be close for a half, but just curious as to what you've saw to lead you to pick such a close game.

How was Abingdon able to smother the JSB attack? 

1 hour ago, 93' Alumni said:

Mainly the qb and receivers, against unions secondary.

Just saw this post. 

I agree that's where a team should attack Union. But, a few thoughts:

Can JSB block long enough to allow the QB to throw downfield?

Does Battle have more good WR than Abingdon? If JSB has three elite WR, I can see your argument. If it's just one or two, the Union DBs are usually pretty good and Mitchell always roams as a FS.

Gezz people what has this world come to. Union will dominate both LOS very handily Las Vegas has the over under at 5 for the total first downs JSB will get all game.  I'm probably gonna take the over only because the 9th graders will be playing the whole 4th quarter.    

Seriously tho..

Union-42

JSB-7

4 minutes ago, bristol8434 said:

Neither team really has anything to gain, Battle is stuck in the 6 spot no matter. I can see both teams pulling out their main guys to stay healthy for the playoffs

Union HAS to win to get the #1 seed in Region D and possible home field for a semifinal. Battle is most definitely not stuck at 6. Both Lee and Grayson can pass Battle if they were to defeat Abindgon and Galax, respectively.

Battle is only guaranteed #6 if they beat Union. LOTS to play for.

24 minutes ago, GMan said:

If Union = SW Wise, wouldn't JSB = SW Abingdon or NE Bristol or Western Washington Co.????

Maybe we'll just call them the Bristol Exit7ers?

i know Union fans tend to get a little jealous that we refer to Central as Wise Central so I thought we could start calling them Southwest Wise? 

2 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Maybe we'll just call them the Bristol Exit7ers?

i know Union fans tend to get a little jealous that we refer to Central as Wise Central so I thought we could start calling them Southwest Wise? 

Funny you say that. The PA guy at Abingdon Friday night......"Tonight's game is between the Abingdon Falcons and the Union Bears from Wise, Va."     Like, really??? lol

12 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Funny you say that. The PA guy at Abingdon Friday night......"Tonight's game is between the Abingdon Falcons and the Union Bears from Wise, Va."     Like, really??? lol

You all spend so much time up there mingling with your fellow Walmart Warriors at the Applebee's having fellowship, you might as well be from Wise.  Lol

26 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

Hey Union fans, just curious has any team lined up with 8, 9, or 10 players in the box and made the Bears have to throw the ball consistently?  Just curious.....

Most teams have crammed as many in the box as they could...that seems to be the consensus on how to stop Union's O...and I'd say the idea is on point.  Easier said than done, though.

28 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

Hey Union fans, just curious has any team lined up with 8, 9, or 10 players in the box and made the Bears have to throw the ball consistently?  Just curious.....

All of them have. Lee is the only one that legitimately stopped the run. And by stopped, I mean "limited" to 200 yards.

Pass attempts per game after Richlands...

Letcher - 7
Ridgeview - 7
GC - 11(primarily JV passing)
Mo West - 4
Lee - 8
Central - 13 (primarily JV passing)
Abingdon - 5

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

All of them have. Lee is the only one that legitimately stopped the run. And by stopped, I mean "limited" to 200 yards.

Pass attempts per game after Richlands...

Letcher - 7
Ridgeview - 7
GC - 11(primarily JV passing)
Mo West - 4
Lee - 8
Central - 13 (primarily JV passing)
Abingdon - 5

Interesting information, in today's spread offenses doesn't seem like very many pass attempts.  Sounds like no one has absolutely shut the run down.  A true testament of Unions running attack.  Be interesting to see what happens in the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, Ridgerunner said:

Interesting information, in today's spread offenses doesn't seem like very many pass attempts.  Sounds like no one has absolutely shut the run down.  A true testament of Unions running attack.  Be interesting to see what happens in the playoffs. 

It will be stopped in the playoffs by somebody without at least a threat of a pass every now and then to keep teams honest. Of course, Giles makes it work. Maybe we can too. We will find out soon enough!