tentative 2017 pairings for Western Va teams

VHSLhelper

1 minute ago, Hokiebird7 said:

We have some of those same fans too...think we just show up we should win...don't happen like that

We have a bunch of arm chair coaches that think they could do better play calling than Williams...I just laugh when I hear "Damn Jeff throw the ball"...hilarious fans we have...not all but a good bit of them

We have quite a few who have been critical of the play calling at times. Myself included lol

38 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

We have quite a few who have been critical of the play calling at times. Myself included lol

Oh I question calls sometimes and stratch my head and think "what the hell was he thinking" but I don't scream it out loud like a lot of our fans do...and half the one complaining never played a down of football but seem to know more than a coach that has a state championship title under his belt

Why are there 8 teams in the Region playoffs? Seems watered down since there are only 12 or 13 in

the Region itself.Four would be ideal.It would also cut out a week in which the season seems too long

for High School football.

17 minutes ago, RJ7 said:

Why are there 8 teams in the Region playoffs? Seems watered down since there are only 12 or 13 in

the Region itself.Four would be ideal.It would also cut out a week in which the season seems too long

Four isn’t enough. 8 is probably too much (though it benefited Richlands this year). 6 could be right and give the top two BYEs. Who knows. But at 4, Marion doesn’t make it and no 8-2 team should be left out. 

Depends on the record of the top 4 and what kind of schedule that 8-2 team played. In my opinion the disparity

of points is skewed between the classifications. There should be a wider margin of points you receive for playing

up or down in classifications. I think it is a 2 point differential now. Should be at least 4 and same with points on the loss side.

Widen that margin so it discourages teams from playing down.

3 hours ago, VHSLhelper said:

that ALSO discourages teams from playing  UP - can't have it both ways.

If B'burg won't play R'lands, R'lands can't play Bburg

Not necessarily playing up. You would get a ton of points. But playing down. Like you said;Blacksburg would have to play down vs Richlands. But you could

probably get away it with for one game.

14 hours ago, RJ7 said:

13 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Four isn’t enough. 8 is probably too much (though it benefited Richlands this year). 6 could be right and give the top two BYEs. Who knows. But at 4, Marion doesn’t make it and no 8-2 team should be left out. 

My dad talked about when he played at Appy from 70-73.  He joked about how they said go 10-0 or listen on the radio.  That was before divisions were put into place.  I think 8 is way too many teams.  I agree that it does water things down.  Maybe not this year in 2A D lol.  But look at 1A B.  Two teams in the playoffs at 0-10!  Come on!  When we won state in 92, it was a 14 game season.  Seeds 1-4 and some of those teams in were questionable.  But that's points.  The only reason it's 8 teams is for the VHSL to get the gate of one more playoff game.  GREED is what has made it what it is.  But let's play ball.