Wise Central vs. Gate City

KevinG

GC will hang with Central early, but ultimately succumb in the 2nd half due to lack of depth. If this turns into a mud bowl, I think GC sticks around longer than on a dry or somewhat dry field. I think GC will have some success running the ball, but maybe not as much to the outside as they have had in other games.

If Central can slow down #11 Jenkins, its pretty much over. This kid is a good football player, and his speed is unmatched!!! I look for Central to bottle him up, and GC will have to rely on Edwards more at the FB position, and won't have the big play ability and will get down early and not have a chance to rebound!  Warriors 35 - Devils - 14

I watched the Bobcats play the Blue Devils.  I don't know much about Gate City's coaching situation, but I watched Gate City against us, and I watched Gate City on NFHS another time.  I actually think Gate City is very well coached.  I think their staff puts their kids in the best situations possible, but they just don't have the Hogs in the Pen.  It seems like many of their plays called is really good, but they just don't have the talent to execute.  Hopefully GC gets back to being good.  I miss that.  They were still good enough to about pull off the win over the Bobcats.

If the kids stick together coming up from middle school then they'll be back sooner than most expected. The current team plays their tails off and hopefully that will continue. I don't see us staying with Central very long though. Then again I thought the same thing when they played Abingdon  until they ran out of gas.

37 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

I watched the Bobcats play the Blue Devils.  I don't know much about Gate City's coaching situation, but I watched Gate City against us, and I watched Gate City on NFHS another time.  I actually think Gate City is very well coached.  I think their staff puts their kids in the best situations possible, but they just don't have the Hogs in the Pen.  It seems like many of their plays called is really good, but they just don't have the talent to execute.  Hopefully GC gets back to being good.  I miss that.  They were still good enough to about pull off the win over the Bobcats.

GC has good coaching, but if they got rid of one, it would be even better. He's ran off players, and prevented some from playing this fall that just played in the spring. Hearing reports that I've received from some GC folks, I wouldn't want to play for him either. As for the hogs, GC needs some. Radford's RB was as big or bigger than anyone on the GC DL that game.

52 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

GC has good coaching, but if they got rid of one, it would be even better. He's ran off players, and prevented some from playing this fall that just played in the spring. Hearing reports that I've received from some GC folks, I wouldn't want to play for him either. As for the hogs, GC needs some. Radford's RB was as big or bigger than anyone on the GC DL that game.

I've heard many people talk about a coach in particular!! Is it just his attitude and the way he is with kids or what? I've just heard a lot of people didn't like him!!!

I will give Gate City this, they fight until the end, every game I have watched they have played hard and never give up!

2 minutes ago, #BBN said:

I've heard many people talk about a coach in particular!! Is it just his attitude and the way he is with kids or what? I've just heard a lot of people didn't like him!!!

I will give Gate City this, they fight until the end, every game I have watched they have played hard and never give up!

The word jerk comes to mind. Poor attitude, belligerent and cusses the kids are some of the things told to me. He's not very popular with adults either.

And, yes, the GC kids play hard. Lot of pride still there in spite of the state of the program the last several years.

4 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

The word jerk comes to mind. Poor attitude, belligerent and cusses the kids are some of the things told to me. He's not very popular with adults either.

And, yes, the GC kids play hard. Lot of pride still there in spite of the state of the program the last several years.

Yes. This coach wouldn't happen to have coached at a few more schools local would he?  Ive been cussed a lot by coaches, but not nothing more than I deserved. Maybe told to get my $h*& together or something like that, but not the way I've heard them say this coach had talked to kids!!!!

From what I have seen and heard the younger Blue Devils team, was pretty good this year

2 minutes ago, #BBN said:

Yes. This coach wouldn't happen to have coached at a few more schools local would he?  Ive been cussed a lot by coaches, but not nothing more than I deserved. Maybe told to get my $h*& together or something like that, but not the way I've heard them say this coach had talked to kids!!!!

From what I have seen and heard the younger Blue Devils team, was pretty good this year

We have a winner! haha

Yea, GC has some size and talent coming up.

3 hours ago, GC_Quincy said:

If the kids stick together coming up from middle school then they'll be back sooner than most expected. The current team plays their tails off and hopefully that will continue. I don't see us staying with Central very long though. Then again I thought the same thing when they played Abingdon  until they ran out of gas.

How's their peanut program doing, someone from GC said last year that some teams didn't have enough kids to field a team.  That's the level they need to fix first then everything else will resolve itself

I watch a lot of middle school ball and tune in to NFHS to catch a lot of it.  A couple of days ago, Gate City's middle school absolutely dismantled Abingdon.  It was 38-0 early in the 4th and GC called the Dogs off and it ended up 38-8.  Gate City's middle school looked huge and they had a bunch of kids with very impressive speed.   I don't know what the record is, but that's the best middle school team I've seen this year.  When those 8th graders are 11th graders, in 3 years, Gate City will certainly have the hogs.  I've seen Pulaski, Radford, Blacksburg, Abingdon, Gate City, Glenvar, Salem, Christiansburg, and Floyd County.  Gate City's junior high to me, looked equally as good or maybe even slightly better than Salem.  Gate City to me, has more than just a few coming up, they look to me like they are going to be fantastic in a few years.  They were so physical that Abingdon had 4 kids get hurt with legal, textbook, vicious hard hits to the ribs, and the starting QB and RB for Abingdon were able to came back in, but they set out for a series due to what looked like rib shots, getting the wind knocked out of them.   Abingdon was completely outmatched, and GC looked like they had 37 kids out there, which for 7th and 8th grade, that's a good sign when accounting for only 2 grade/class levels.  

1 minute ago, Fairlawncat said:

I watch a lot of middle school ball and tune in to NFHS to catch a lot of it.  A couple of days ago, Gate City's middle school absolutely dismantled Abingdon.  It was 38-0 early in the 4th and GC called the Dogs off and it ended up 38-8.  Gate City's middle school looked huge and they had a bunch of kids with very impressive speed.   I don't know what the record is, but that's the best middle school team I've seen this year.  When those 8th graders are 11th graders, in 3 years, Gate City will certainly have the hogs.  I've seen Pulaski, Radford, Blacksburg, Abingdon, Gate City, Glenvar, Salem, Christiansburg, and Floyd County.  Gate City's junior high to me, looked equally as good or maybe even slightly better than Salem.  Gate City to me, has more than just a few coming up, they look to me like they are going to be fantastic in a few years.

GC's middle school team is indeed impressive, but keep in mind that roughly half of those kids are hold backs, hence the size. If you want to see a really good, true middle school team, watch Rye Cove's. @1inStripes can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the biggest kid on their team is just a 7th grader.

4 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

GC's middle school team is indeed impressive, but keep in mind that roughly half of those kids are hold backs, hence the size. If you want to see a really good, true middle school team, watch Rye Cove's. @1inStripes can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the biggest kid on their team is just a 7th grader.

I can't figure unions teams out they have alot of 8th graders playing JV.  So is the 8th grade team just 7th graders?

That right there makes sense to me goose, cause when I tuned in there, GC at first look almost like a JV team to me, and I thought NFHS labeled it wrong, but then I saw the Falcons which looked like a regular junior high.  I swear, Gate City had like 3 kids on the line that looked like varsity players.  

2 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I can't figure unions teams out they have alot of 8th graders playing JV.  So is the 8th grade team just 7th graders?

I'm not entirely sure, but so many kids play up at Union, it's hard to get a read on their 8th/JV teams each year. When Jeb Stidham and Mitchell were on varsity as freshmen and that JV was killing people, I knew they would be special (2017 team), but other than that, hard to tell from year to year.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

Definitely your opinion but to hold players to a different standard to regular students is flat out wrong. Should be equal to all or no one. 

Jason, I can't argue or disagree with that point.  It's a legitimate one and I agree with you.  

3 hours ago, goose111874 said:

How's their peanut program doing, someone from GC said last year that some teams didn't have enough kids to field a team.  That's the level they need to fix first then everything else will resolve itself

From what I've been told they made some nice changes and got the interest back in little league. I think I heard 90 kids came out this year. They went to flag football up to 10 year olds. Only 11 and 12s tackle now. I think that's how it is now. 

17 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Yes we have a big kid coming. 6-4 and well put together to be a 12 year old.  Good kid, good attitude and ready to get in the weight room this week. Big E is going to make a nice LT.  Hes been so much bigger than everyone else in his class since he was little. Thankfully not grown so fast he's clumsy either.  Good feet about him. The Gate City game showed him where he needs to get better playing against some quicker competition.  Was hoping Union and RC would get the JV game this week but hate the Union boys were hit by quarantine.