TSSAA Playoffs

SXSW

The TSSAA Playoffs start Friday across all 9 Divisions. There were a few surprises but none bigger than 6A Westridge being the number 2 seed out of Region 1. 47 teams with losing records made the playoff including an 0-9 team (St. Benedict in the 3A Division 2). 

I will just list the region 1 games.

In class A: Cloudland (9-1) hosts Greenback (6-3), Jellico (4-5) visits Oakdale (7-3), Midway (6-3) travels up Stoney Creek to play Unaka (7-3) and North Greene (3-7) travels Coalfield (8-2)

2A : South Greene (8-2) hosts York Institute (3-7), Cumberland Gap (4-6) travels to Oneida (7-3), Monterey (6-4) comes to Hampton (7-2) and Happy Valley (2-8) makes the long trip to Rockwood (7-3)

3A: Austin East (2-7) travels to beautiful Unicoi County (9-1), West Greene (4-6) goes to Pigeon Forge (7-2) and Chuckey Doak (6-4) travels to Gatlinburg-Pittman (6-4). Johnson County forfeited to Alcoa. 

4A: This bracket may the best in the state, it is loaded with good teams. South Doyle (6-4) travels to number 1 ranked Greeneville (10-0), Volunteer gets a tough matchup with the Fulton Falcons (7-3), Knox Carter (6-4)  goes to number 2 ranked Elizabethton (8-1) 

And rounding out Region 1 4A Seymour (6-4) visits Anderson County (5-5)

5A: Daniel Boone (4-5) visits Knox Halls (5-5), Tennessee High (3-6) goes to Knox Central (6-3), Sevier County (7-3) hosts David Crockett (6-4) and Knox West (8-2) hosts Morristown West (5-5)  Region 2 should dominate this first round.

6A: Science Hill (7-3) host the Admirals of Farragut (4-6), Jefferson County (6-4) goes to Bradley Central (8-2), Cleveland (6-4) travels to Blountville to play Westridge (8-2), and Dobyns Bennett (7-3) is the sacrificial lamb for Maryville (10-0) .Mark on your calendar Friday 

November 26 in Maryville for Maryville vs. Oakland.

I will keep the updates coming. Good luck to all the teams involved. I can't believe how fast the season has been.    

Not sure what is up with my username. Melvin was what I originally registered under years ago, and then I bought a new computer and couldn't get logged on, so I set up another account as JDHoss. Then I recently bought another computer, and I couldn't log on as JDHoss, so I sent for a password reset and it gave me this account back. WFT? I can still post from my phone as JDHoss though. Bizarre....

I'm afraid it's going to be a tough postseason for Region 1, especially in 5A & 6A.

Class A :

Cloudland v Greenback - Greenback is a shell of what they used to be, and that's a long ass bus ride to Roan Mtn. I'll go with the Landers in this one.

Jellico v Oakdale - I know where Jellico is, and the fact that they're usually not very good. I'll go with Oakdale.

Unaka v Midway - Should be a tight one. I'll go with Unaka at home.

North Greene v Coalfield - Running clock to start the 2nd half for Coalfield.

Class AA:

South Greene v York - South Green by at least a couple of TD.

Cumberland Gap v Oneida - Oneida by a bunch.

Happy Valley v Rockwood - Happy Valley will lose big.

Class AAA:

Austin East v Unicoi - The Roadrunners have struggled this year at 2-7, but against a tough schedule. Unicoi is 9-1, but against a butter soft schedule. In their lone loss, they were throttled by Cloudland. I'll go with Unicoi in a tight one.

West Greene v Pigeon Forge - Pigeon Forge in a solid 2 score win.

Chokey Duck v Gatlinburg Pittman - Pittman by a couple of scores.

Johnson Co v Alcoa - At least the Longhorns saved gas money by forfeiting. 

Class 4A:

Greeneville v South Doyle - The Cherokees aren't a pushover, but Greeneville will put them away by late 3rd quarter.

Elizabethton v Carter - Betsy eying another date with Greeneville. Carter won't come close.

Volunteer v Fulton - Great year for Volunteer, but Fulton is another universe away in terms of overall team speed.

Seymour v Anderson Co - The Mavericks own one of the best entrances in high school football, and they will own Seymour too.

Class 5A:

Crockett v Sevier Co - Crockett struggled to beat Richlands last week. They're not going to be the Smokey Bears

Boone v Halls - Boone has played a tough schedule and lost some close games, as has Halls, but against better competition. I'll go with Halls.

THS v Central - It's been a tough season for THS, and it's going to end badly against the Bobcats.

Mo West v Knox West - Running clock to start the 2nd half.

Class 6A:

Science Hill v Farragut - The Admirals are 4-6, but against a tough schedule and 4 of those losses were by 4 points or less. The Toppers have played fairly well of late, but I'll go with Farragut.

D-B v Murville - There will be a running clock at some point in the 2nd half. D-B doesn't match up well anywhere with the Rebels.

Jeff Co v Bradley Central - Jeff Co's season went down the tubes about 2 or 3 weeks ago when they lose their QB. Bradly by at least 3 scores.

West Ridge v Cleveland - Great inaugural season for the Wolves, but Cleveland is a tough opponent. IMO West Ridge has a puncher's chance in front of what will be a rocking crowd, but will probably come up short.

The playoffs down here in Florida don't start until next week. Tomorrow night we're going to watch Port St Lucie v St Lucie West Centennial, and on Saturday, we're attending our first Muck Bowl over at Pahokee. It's Pahokee v Glades Central in one of the biggest rivalries in the entire country. There's a great documentary called 4th & Forever: Muck City that's available to stream on HBO Max and Curiosity Stream. I highly recommend it.

High school football's greatest rivalry: Muck City - YouTube

13 hours ago, Melvin said:

Not sure what is up with my username. Melvin was what I originally registered under years ago, and then I bought a new computer and couldn't get logged on, so I set up another account as JDHoss. Then I recently bought another computer, and I couldn't log on as JDHoss, so I sent for a password reset and it gave me this account back. WFT? I can still post from my phone as JDHoss though. Bizarre....

I'm afraid it's going to be a tough postseason for Region 1, especially in 5A & 6A.

Class A :

Cloudland v Greenback - Greenback is a shell of what they used to be, and that's a long ass bus ride to Roan Mtn. I'll go with the Landers in this one.

Jellico v Oakdale - I know where Jellico is, and the fact that they're usually not very good. I'll go with Oakdale.

Unaka v Midway - Should be a tight one. I'll go with Unaka at home.

North Greene v Coalfield - Running clock to start the 2nd half for Coalfield.

Class AA:

South Greene v York - South Green by at least a couple of TD.

Cumberland Gap v Oneida - Oneida by a bunch.

Happy Valley v Rockwood - Happy Valley will lose big.

Class AAA:

Austin East v Unicoi - The Roadrunners have struggled this year at 2-7, but against a tough schedule. Unicoi is 9-1, but against a butter soft schedule. In their lone loss, they were throttled by Cloudland. I'll go with Unicoi in a tight one.

West Greene v Pigeon Forge - Pigeon Forge in a solid 2 score win.

Chokey Duck v Gatlinburg Pittman - Pittman by a couple of scores.

Johnson Co v Alcoa - At least the Longhorns saved gas money by forfeiting. 

Class 4A:

Greeneville v South Doyle - The Cherokees aren't a pushover, but Greeneville will put them away by late 3rd quarter.

Elizabethton v Carter - Betsy eying another date with Greeneville. Carter won't come close.

Volunteer v Fulton - Great year for Volunteer, but Fulton is another universe away in terms of overall team speed.

Seymour v Anderson Co - The Mavericks own one of the best entrances in high school football, and they will own Seymour too.

Class 5A:

Crockett v Sevier Co - Crockett struggled to beat Richlands last week. They're not going to be the Smokey Bears

Boone v Halls - Boone has played a tough schedule and lost some close games, as has Halls, but against better competition. I'll go with Halls.

THS v Central - It's been a tough season for THS, and it's going to end badly against the Bobcats.

Mo West v Knox West - Running clock to start the 2nd half.

Class 6A:

Science Hill v Farragut - The Admirals are 4-6, but against a tough schedule and 4 of those losses were by 4 points or less. The Toppers have played fairly well of late, but I'll go with Farragut.

D-B v Murville - There will be a running clock at some point in the 2nd half. D-B doesn't match up well anywhere with the Rebels.

Jeff Co v Bradley Central - Jeff Co's season went down the tubes about 2 or 3 weeks ago when they lose their QB. Bradly by at least 3 scores.

West Ridge v Cleveland - Great inaugural season for the Wolves, but Cleveland is a tough opponent. IMO West Ridge has a puncher's chance in front of what will be a rocking crowd, but will probably come up short.

The playoffs down here in Florida don't start until next week. Tomorrow night we're going to watch Port St Lucie v St Lucie West Centennial, and on Saturday, we're attending our first Muck Bowl over at Pahokee. It's Pahokee v Glades Central in one of the biggest rivalries in the entire country. There's a great documentary called 4th & Forever: Muck City that's available to stream on HBO Max and Curiosity Stream. I highly recommend it.

High school football's greatest rivalry: Muck City - YouTube

Good observations Hoss! I enjoy your insights. 

On 11/5/2021 at 12:24 PM, Hokiebird7 said:

Wish I could be there to see DB get this beat down....been to a couple games of their with a friend that lives in that area...I gotta say they the most arrogant fans I've ever seen

In my neighborhood, in the quad yard area. We have a Gate City alum (me) and Lee High alum, a John Battle next door neighbor and a  J.J. Kelly alum and a DB alum and our neighborly conversations according to the DB guy they haven't lost a game since the 90's it always the ref's fault or an illegal play or a hired gun transfer that does them in, never do they lose on the field and his behavior is even worse during baseball season. Every year is the same some good talent but not great and high expectations but smashing disappointment. Remember DB has never one a state championship on the field just in a newspaper!

On 11/5/2021 at 12:24 PM, Hokiebird7 said:

Wish I could be there to see DB get this beat down....been to a couple games of their with a friend that lives in that area...I gotta say they the most arrogant fans I've ever seen

Do I come across to you as arrogant?

5 hours ago, SXSW said:

In my neighborhood, in the quad yard area. We have a Gate City alum (me) and Lee High alum, a John Battle next door neighbor and a  J.J. Kelly alum and a DB alum and our neighborly conversations according to the DB guy they haven't lost a game since the 90's it always the ref's fault or an illegal play or a hired gun transfer that does them in, never do they lose on the field and his behavior is even worse during baseball season. Every year is the same some good talent but not great and high expectations but smashing disappointment. Remember DB has never one a state championship on the field just in a newspaper!

There are quite a few (especially in the Facebook group, D-B Football Real Talk) who are exactly as you define.  However those fans also very rarely are even bothered to come to the games also.  They're not true fans.  The true fans were in the stands in Maryville Friday night, myself included, and knew before kickoff what the outcome would be.

As for blaming refs and yadda yadda, if there's a fan base who doesn't have at least one fan who does that crap, then point me out to them.

The four losses D-B had this year were all deserved.

Greeneville -- one of the top 4 in the state regardless of classification, enough said, ass beating

Jefferson County -- D-B overlooked them, got down 21, couldn't recover.  Deserved loss.

Science Hill -- Got spanked, bottom line

Maryville -- See Greeneville above

1 minute ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Do I come across to you as arrogant?

There are quite a few (especially in the Facebook group, D-B Football Real Talk) who are exactly as you define.  However those fans also very rarely are even bothered to come to the games also.  They're not true fans.  The true fans were in the stands in Maryville Friday night, myself included, and knew before kickoff what the outcome would be.

As for blaming refs and yadda yadda, if there's a fan base who doesn't have at least one fan who does that crap, then point me out to them.

The four losses D-B had this year were all deserved.

Greeneville -- one of the top 4 in the state regardless of classification, enough said, ass beating

Jefferson County -- D-B overlooked them, got down 21, couldn't recover.  Deserved loss.

Science Hill -- Got spanked, bottom line

Maryville -- See Greeneville above

I live in Kingsport have for 35 years now and have been to many DB games probably 50 in my time hear and the fan interest has declined steadily DB had a elderly fan base and a lot of their fans have just died off and the middle age folks don't care as much. (Same problem is happening at Gate City too) I watched the Greeneville and Jeff County games, the Jeff County team with the injured QB was good. Greeneville is probably the fourth best team in the state in all classes combined, behind Alcoa, Maryville and Oakland. 

Week 1 in the books and there were a few surprises in 1A Humboldt (4-6) beat previously Memphis Middle College. In 4A Jackson North Side (6-5) beat #1 seed Region 8 Kirby (7-3) in 6A they were several upsets Shelbyville (5-6) beat Rockvale (7-4) and Gallatin (4-5) beat Smyrna (7-3) and Brentwood (7-4) beat Germantown (8-3). 

Local Northeast Tennessee teams still playing.

In 1A Cloudland (10-1) hosts Oakdale (8-3).

In 2A Oneida (8-3) travels to Camp Creek tp play South Greene (9-2) and Hampton (8-2) travels to Rockwood (8-3)

In 3A Unicoi County (10-1) hosts Pigeon Forge (8-2)

In 4A Greeneville (11-0) hosts Knox Fulton (8-3) and Elizabethton (9-1) makes the long trip to Anderson County (6-5)

In 5A Knox Central (7-3)  travels to Gray to play Daniel Boone (5-5) and David Crockett (7-4) goes to Knox West (9-2)

In 6A West Ridge (9-2) fresh off of its first ever playoff win in it's first ever playoff game travels to 11-0 Maryville where they will lose by at least 5 TD's...

Good Luck to everyone still playing.

7 minutes ago, SXSW said:

Week 1 in the books and there were a few surprises in 1A Humboldt (4-6) beat previously Memphis Middle College. In 4A Jackson North Side (6-5) beat #1 seed Region 8 Kirby (7-3) in 6A they were several upsets Shelbyville (5-6) beat Rockvale (7-4) and Gallatin (4-5) beat Smyrna (7-3) and Brentwood (7-4) beat Germantown (8-3). 

In 2A Oneida (8-3) travels to Camp Creek tp play South Greene (9-2) and Hampton (8-2) travels to Rockwood (8-3)

In 4A Greeneville (11-0) hosts Knox Fulton (8-3) and Elizabethton (9-1) makes the long trip to Anderson County (6-5)

In 5A Knox Central (7-3)  travels to Gray to play Daniel Boone (5-5) and David Crockett (7-4) goes to Knox West (9-2)

In 6A West Ridge (9-2) fresh off of its first ever playoff win in it's first ever playoff game travels to 11-0 Maryville where they will lose by at least 5 TD's...

I'm not sold on West Ridge losing by 5 TD's.  Will they lose?  Absolutely.  By 5 TD's?  Eh... I'll go by 3.  West Ridge was playing better than anyone in 1-6A at the end of the season.  I think if they had the D-B and Science Hill games over again, I think they'd win both of them.

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

Why does elizabethon at 10-1 have to travel to a 6-5 team

I'm a "current" D-B fan because our grandson plays, although an injury against Jeff Co finished him for the year. I retired from the Big E in 2016, and moved to Florida a couple of years later, although we still have a place in Kingsport and spend 3-4 months out of the year there because of kids/grandkids and my in-laws, but I used to work with a ton of D-B fans and most of them are really good people, but some of them had a sense of entitlement and loved to tout those win totals and state championships on paper. 

IMO, D-B's (as well as Science Hill) post season woes are starting with the lack of highly organized, tightly monitored youth leagues with input from the high school staffs, and focusing on fundamentals. I was telling a D-B friend a few years ago that Maryville was beating them before those kids were even in middle school. I saw Maryville play at Science Hill in the regular season several years ago. When they were warming up, I told my wife that if you didn't know anything at all about either team, you'd pick the Toppers to win by a couple of TD. Then the game started, and Murville just throttled them. They didn't miss tackles, they didn't miss blocks, they didn't drop passes, they didn't commit foolish penalties and they didn't turn the football over. That was a really well coached football team, and they just didn't start being well coached when they got to high school.

7 hours ago, SXSW said:

Cloudland v Oakdale - Roan Mtn is a tough place to play and it's supposed to be in the 30's with a chance of rain/snow. I'll go with the Landers.

South Greene v Oneida - Going with South Greene. 

Rockwood v Hampton - It's a road game, but after looking at the Rockwood schedule/results, I think Hampton gets the win. 

Unicoi v Pigeon Forge - Should be a really close game. Going with a narrow Unicoi win.

Greeneville v Fulton - Like South Doyle, Fulton isn't a pushover, but are no match for Greeneville.

Anderson Co v Betsy - The Mavs are 6-5, but played a super tough schedule with only one loss that I'd call lopsided. Guess who that was? I'll go with Betsy to beat them again.

Boone v Central - Boone is really physical, but doesn't match up well with Central's skill people. I'll go with Central.

West v Crockett - Hats off to Crockett for last week's win, but that's not happening this week. West is head and shoulders better.

Murville v West Ridge - The Wolves have had a great inaugural season with a 9-2 record and playoff win, but they have a mountain to climb at Murville. Like the vast majority of past seasons, no one in upper ET is in the same universe as Murville. 

The TSSAA playoffs roll on. This week is the Quarterfinal Round for the public schools and the Semifinal round for the private schools. 

Region 1 has few survivors left. 

In 1A: Coalfield (10-2) make the long road trip to Roan Mountain to take on The Highlanders of Cloudland (11-1)

In 2A: Hampton (10-2) the other Carter County team still playing travels to Oneida (9-3) to take on the Indians.

In 4A: The rematch is Greeneville as the (12-0) Greene Devils take on the (11-1) Elizabethton Cyclones. These two teams own the last 4 Class 4A Championships and the winner of this one will probably win it again.

There are no 3A, 5A or 6A region 1 teams left...Good luck to the final 4 remaining! 

In Division 2: 1A University School of Jackson takes on Donaldson Christian and MTCS plays Nashville Christian in the semifinals.

2A This bracket is probably the best left in any class in the state. Lausanne Colligate plays Christ Presbyterian and Lipscomb Academy plays Davidson Academy

3A McCallie from Chattanooga takes on Pope John Paul in semifinal and Montgomery Bell Academy plays Christian Brothers from Memphis in the other semifinal.

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

The TSSAA playoffs roll on. This week is the Quarterfinal Round for the public schools and the Semifinal round for the private schools. 

In 1A: Coalfield (10-2) make the long road trip to Roan Mountain to take on The Highlanders of Cloudland (11-1)

In 2A: Hampton (10-2) the other Carter County team still playing travels to Oneida (9-3) to take on the Indians.

In 4A: The rematch is Greeneville as the (12-0) Greene Devils take on the (11-1) Elizabethton Cyclones. These two teams own the last 4 Class 4A Championships and the winner of this one will probably win it again.

There are no 3A, 5A or 6A region 1 teams left...Good luck to the final 4 remaining! 

In Division 2: 1A University School of Jackson takes on Donaldson Christian and MTCS plays Nashville Christian in the semifinals.

2A This bracket is probably the best left in any class in the state. Lausanne Colligate plays Christ Presbyterian and Lipscomb Academy plays Davidson Academy

3A McCallie from Chattanooga takes on Pope John Paul in semifinal and Montgomery Bell Academy plays Christian Brothers from Memphis in the other semifinal.

What happened to Maryville?

14 hours ago, Hokie777 said:

What happened to Maryville?

51 minutes ago, SXSW said:

Maryville is in Region 2 6A. They moved to region 2 when the last reclassification took place. 

What's funny is that William Blount which is actually on the far side of town from Maryville IS in Region 1-6A.  The Govs wanted to be in 1-6A to avoid playing Maryville.  What did they get for their wish to switch districts?  Still an 0-5 conference record and 1-9 overall.  Lol

6 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

What's funny is that William Blount which is actually on the far side of town from Maryville IS in Region 1-6A.  The Govs wanted to be in 1-6A to avoid playing Maryville.  What did they get for their wish to switch districts?  Still an 0-5 conference record and 1-9 overall.  Lol

What’s amazing is there is a ton of good high school teams in the Knoxville area. Alcoa would be in 2a in Virginia. 

11 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

When you're as bad as Bill Blount is, it doesn't matter what district you're in. All they did was increase their travel expenses.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:27 PM, SXSW said:

Cloudland v Coalfield - Roan Mtn will be frigid on Friday night, but I'll go with Coalfield in a close one.

Oneida v Hampton - It's a long bus ride to Oneida, but the Bulldogs have a shot. I'll go with Oneida in another close game.

Greeneville v Betsy - Betsy is the 2nd best team in Class 4A. Green(e) Devils by 17

Murville v Far-gut - Murville by 35 setting up another battle with Oakland.

On 11/16/2021 at 2:58 PM, Wolf1207 said:

What’s amazing is there is a ton of good high school teams in the Knoxville area. Alcoa would be in 2a in Virginia. 

Alcoa vs. Riverheads would be a great game or even Alcoa vs. Appomattox would be quality too. 

Well it's semifinal week and an unprecedented event will take place in Carter County. With 3 semifinal games all within 18 miles of each other! Kind of like the old days of Southwest Virginia. 

In 1A: South Pittsburg (9-2) visits Cloudland (12-1) Cloudland's only loss this year was to Hampton. The other side of the bracket is Trenton Peabody (12-1) @ 13-0 McKenzie.

In 2A: Trousdale County (12-1) makes the 4.5 hour trip to Hampton (10-2) to take on the Bulldogs. Hampton had an incredible come from behind win over Oneida. The other semifinal 12-1 Westview travels to 12-1 Riverside.

In 3A: 12-0 Giles County will be 12-1 Alcoa's next victim and 12-0 Dyersburg travels to 9-4 East Nashville in the other semifinal

In 4A: The trifectas final game is 12-1 Upperman visiting the 12-1 Cyclones of Elizabethton. The other side of the bracket is a battle of unbeatens Haywood travels to Tullahoma.

In 5A: Knox Powell (11-2) plays Knox West (11-2) and 12-1 Page hosts 8-5 Henry County

In 6A: Oakland travel Maryville in a battle of 13-0 teams and Summit (13-0) travels to Hendersonville (10-3) 

The Division 2 Title games are already set. These games are set to be played on December 2 in Chattanooga.

In 1A: Donaldson Christian(12-1) takes on Nashville Christian (11-2) In 2A: CPA (10-2) plays Lipscomb Academy (11-1) and 3A: McCallie (12-0) plays MBA (9-3) 

I am hoping for a Carter County sweep but Hampton and Cloudland have very tall tasks. Good Luck to all involved and Happy Thanksgiving To One and All!